PDA

View Full Version : Wii and DS market has ‘collapsed’

wraggster
June 9th, 2010, 17:00
Namco Bandai’s Olivier Comte says that too many bad games have dented consumer appetite

The flood of bad games – and the damaging effects of piracy – have ruined the software market on Wii and DS according to Namco Bandai’s VP of sales, marketing and publishing Olivier Comte.
“It’s a tough market,” he told MCV in an exclusive interview. “We had a lot of product, and the average quality of a game on DS and Wii is very, very bad. So in the mind of the consumer today, to buy a DS or Wii game is to buy a game that isn’t very good.
“One of the reasons the DS collapsed is piracy, it is very clear, but also it is a fantastic machine and very easy to develop for. It was possible for three kids in a garage to make a game for it.
“DS is the most successful platform ever, but all my kids’ friends at school have a DS with an R4. They have 100 games for no money. So yes, the market has collapsed for the DS and Wii.”

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/39369/Wii-and-DS-market-has-collapsed

pkmaximum
June 9th, 2010, 19:39
Quite tragic really, I have to admit that I have indulged in piracy before in my video game content. But we're seeing the dawn of a new error where even the once perceived "noobs" can now pirate there games; once only the feet of a capable computer user.

rancor01
June 10th, 2010, 09:45
I only pirate - Video game publishers can die a horrible bloody death for all I care ... At this point in time, with 30+ years of publishing behind us, more games have been made than I will ever be able to play in my lifetime.. Good riddance.

aiko27
June 10th, 2010, 19:38
Shame on pirates who steal the work of others simply for their own enjoyment. Theft is theft in whatever form it takes. And more should be done to police and take done to take down websites offering illegal games.

Shame those who use R4 and other such carts legitimately and honestly are placed within the same league as others who have little to no regard to those who make their living within the gaming industry.

Krisando
June 10th, 2010, 21:31
When I first got my ds I bought 3 games a month apart, Super Mario Bros 64, Animal Crossing and Pokemon Pearl.

Each of these games were rubbish, a flash card was a much better choice. I could try out games, without being rubbished by all their packaging and advertisements.

The DS has no good Pokemon games, the new director just doesn't make them like they used to. The DS had some decent games in 04", those days are long gone.

Shame on pirates who
Shame those who use R4 and other such carts legitimately and honestly are placed within the same league as others who have little to no regard to those who make their living within the gaming industry.
Everything on this site requires such a flash device. *Palm*

Also 'legitimately' means "shame on those using flash cards 'legally'", You're not exactly the smartest batch from the cabbage patch.

rancor01
June 11th, 2010, 07:39
Also 'legitimately' means "shame on those using flash cards 'legally'", You're not exactly the smartest batch from the cabbage patch.

Your English comprehension isn't so hot, is it? Thats not what he said at all. Read again.

acn010
June 11th, 2010, 08:47
tragic indeed, shame that the ds is really easy to develop as it is obvious "easy to develop" for pirates to code too.

psyfirefly
June 11th, 2010, 13:31
Im not going to be a hypocrite and say I have never pirated a game. But the DS does have a pretty poor library. I only buy games that I actually will enjoy playing and can re-play.

I dont have money to waste on bad games. You can't get a refund if the game sucks (which is wrong in itself), so I will download it before I buy it to make sure. It also doesnt help that games are ridiculously overpriced.

And for anyone who cries "poor Nintendo/Developer" just take a look at their profits.