PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used recovery mode yet?

NoQuarter
August 5th, 2006, 00:19
Has anyone tried to or had to use custom firmware recovery mode yet?
Also I have version spoofed my psp to 9.99,since one of the recovery options is to run an updater eboot is this going to cause the update to fail or does custom firmware override the firmware spoofing when running an updater?

under_0ath777
August 5th, 2006, 00:55
i dont, i use a dual boot kinda thing (1.5/2.71) and use that when i use prxs that dont boot

NoQuarter
August 5th, 2006, 01:14
I use dualboot 1.5/2.71 via devhook as well,but I have modified my firmware with xflash and have changed my version number in 1.5 to 9.99 to prevent accidental upgrading from my umd's.I was just wondering if this will cause recovery problems.

SGT.shadow
August 5th, 2006, 03:52
i have used recove mode. - I fixed the double posting.

tallica
August 5th, 2006, 04:14
omg ever heard of the edit button

NoQuarter
August 5th, 2006, 05:31
Woah,buddy thats alot of posts for not alot of words,anyway why did you use recovery mode?I don't have a need to right now but if you look at my original posts I was really curious about doing it with a version spoofed 1.5,I know how to use it I just don't want to possibly cause a brick to satisfy curioisity.

V3N0M
August 5th, 2006, 06:04
Sorry about that. Those are my cousins posts (SGT. shadow). They are new to this site and don't know how to use the editing yet. I'll tell him how to edit those post and fix that. And what he means about using recovery mode is that he has custom firmware and have seen the recovery mode. But he has never actualy used it to recover a bricked psp before. But i am curious about the question your asking. I have custom firmware and a version spoof to 13.37. But i think recoverying the psp with a version spoof wouldn't be any trouble. As the reason you can't update your psp and not downgrade without a hack. Is because of the security feature that sony put in the firmware making it so you can't run an older update. If your psp is bricked with a version spoof it wouldn't matter as you should be able to update your psp to 2.0 with recovery mode and then downgrade it back to 1.5. As the recovery mode will run the older update. I hope that satisfys your curosity. =)

NoQuarter
August 5th, 2006, 06:16
Thanx there jman,see the thing I'm wondering is this: I've tried to launch an update after version spoofing as you can always back out before committing, it wouldn't launch(good that's why we version spoof right?)now if we run the updater from recovery mode the updater won't detect the version spoof or will it?sorry if I didn't fully understand your response,you are saying a psp bricked because of version spoofing or one that has been spoofed and now happens to be bricked(not because of the spoofing).I was more concerned with the latter:)

V3N0M
August 5th, 2006, 06:37
lol ya. I highly doubt a psp has ever been bricked by version spoofing. And yes thats why people version spoof their psp. To prevent an accidental update. But anyways the reason you can't downgrade a psp is because of the securtiy software in the firmware. It makes it so you can't run and older update, thus downgrading your psp. But if your psp is bricked and your using recovery mode it doesn't have that security feature. So you will be able to recovery your psp. I highly doubt any problems will accur because of the version spoof. Hope that answered your question.

NoQuarter
August 5th, 2006, 06:42
Pretty much, sorry I didn't understand what you meant with the spoof brick comment but your last comment cleared it up,Now if we could just hear from somebody who has actually tried it would lay my fears to rest.Maybe I'll just get the courage to try.If what your saying is correct I should be able to run the 1.5 update right?(the"that's why we version spoof right?"question was rhetorical,just threw that in there for anybody else who might be reading)

V3N0M
August 5th, 2006, 07:13
Ok no problem. And if you need any other help just read my banner. Glade i could clear things up from a logical point of view. Now what i said could be wroung but i highly doubt it. But it does all come down to actualy trying it. But anyways you should be able to run a 1.5 update in the recovery mode and everything should be fine. Now i hope things are all cleared up? =)