PDA

View Full Version : The overkill of an empire

shadowprophet
August 5th, 2006, 09:21
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/2588/150pxscejv3.jpg

As I sit here this morning. Searching for news to post on my little corner of the web. I'm Browsing all my source sites, that normally bare trustworthy news, and i came across an article called is sony in big trouble. with a picture of a graveyard resting behind it. the picture was self evident in its own, that the ps3 was as good as dead. and ill admit like most of you, It gave me a warm bubbly feeling, thinking of a next generation that wasn't ruled by sony yet again,
especially when you consider the drastic darth vader like personality that has came over sony since the ps2's wide spread domination of the market. Saying things like, yes its expensive. But you will pay whatever we ask because were sony.

This new more confident and some what arrogant face of sony hasn't been accepted well among many, But that got me to thinking. I went to my collection of games which i keep in an entertainment center all to itself. Its a lifetime's collection everything i've ever owned (game wise) that haven't traded or given away to friends. And I noticed something. a great deal of my most beloved and cherished games are psone and ps2 titles. of course there are many game cube games and a few x-box games. But a very large number of my game collection are playstation titles. From final fantasy. to kingdom hearts,castlevania,metal gear, legacy of kain, area 51, god of war, and even dragon quest 8,

Those are just playstation 2 series and titles. I could go on, But the point is. Everyone has lost faith in a company that used to be our friend. Sony used to understand its fans. They used to give us what we wanted even if we didn't know we wanted it. And I do suppose there are many valid reasons for us to distrust sony these days, they threaten our scene. force us to update our consoles offering us little in return, more or less, saying if you want to play our latest software , you will update!!..

This hasn't went over very well with the majority of the gaming population to say the least.
But the question still remains, That sony is suffering, not financially, But there fan base has become alienated from the very creators that brought them so much happiness.
Is this justified? Does sony really deserve the massive cold shoulder there getting from its fans, just because there business tactics have been what some would call ruthless?

Maybe... Or maybe anyone under the kind of pressure sony has been under would crack, The business is made to look friendly in the magazines. its made to look like a representation, of what we would picture as a dignified board meeting with the often disagreement that is laughably resolved
over a cup of coffee and a nice chat. But in reality, with each generation, with each new wave of technology that comes about, each company puts there very reputation on the line, there life blood if you will. when a console fails, its a massive loss for there respective developer. and not just ouch they hurt there pockets kind of loss, were talking bankrupts, massive lay offs to cut finances, recovery periods, And un predictable reputation damage. (look at what happened to nintendo the once ruler of the VG world)

The reality Is. There are two sides to every company. The side the fans see, and the business side.
The problem with sony is there business side had become the side there showing more of lately.
There cut through tactics may work on there competition, But not there fans...

Perhaps the media is to blame, its always been said the pen is mightier then the sword. A little bad press will go a long long way, Sometimes even in the news, Its best to take what you hear, even if you know its true, with a grain of salt. Sometimes the way a message is delivered can be more important then the message itself.

In conclusion, I wrote this article because i was really on the anti sony bandwagon for a long time, But i believe this whole anti sony mentality has went to far, The media scares us with an uncertain future, But other then some horrible business moves with the psp. Sony has yet to truly betray us.
You must realize guys. They don't call them the friendly console competitions. they call them the console wars, Who knows how bad press gets leaked, and who was paid what to leak it,

Im not defending sony, Im only not kicking them when there down, You don't kick a company that has brought you so much happiness in the past. when there down.. If we lose sony, we will have lost more then just another console developer. In many ways they changed the business for the better.

Thoughts opinions?

Leave Feedback Via Comments Below

Video_freak
August 5th, 2006, 09:23
may PS R.I.P. for all we know, ps4 will dominate once again :rolleyes:

motz
August 5th, 2006, 09:26
Great article shadowprophet. ;)

shadowprophet
August 5th, 2006, 09:34
Great article shadowprophet. ;)

That means a lot comeing from you bro :cool:
I had heard through the grapevine you where one of the founding members, not to mention editor an chief Of a once great publication:o
They lost a lot when they lost you bro :cool:

im humbled :o

tophead420
August 5th, 2006, 09:36
good article man and it sucks to see that sony is dieing but all that hatred toward homebrewers has came back on them and totally blew up in there face. their trying to prevent it has actually proved more a loss to their rep than anything. And not to mention all the sells they lost and all that. If sony would just let people be it wouldnt take long and everyone would love sony once more, but Sony wont do that they will keep dishing out new firmwar updates to try and kill homebrew and all its going to do is lead to more disapointment on their part. Maybe somday Sony will wake up and and realize what their doing to themselves but hey you never know

Uruz 6
August 5th, 2006, 09:38
I know what you mean shadow but there are a couple of points I can't forgive sony for:
1) Whole firmware affair (we've talked far and wide of this so I want add anything else)
2) Sony prices for everything - Ps3 - (the sony of lately is damn greedy, they should really cut those prices 20-25%)
Aside from these I don't have anything against sony and I think many feel the same way;
they could be again the company that listen to the fan if they could get through these two points.

motz
August 5th, 2006, 09:41
That means a lot comeing from you bro :cool:
I had heard through the grapevine you where one of the founding members, not to mention editor an chief Of a once great publication:o
They lost a lot when they lost you bro :cool:

im humbled :o
:D lol, thanks for the kind words.

Physicist
August 5th, 2006, 09:43
Yes it's true Sony used to have their eye on the ball.
It's just a shame that they would try so hard to force firmware updates. Even if someone made a homebrew application that Sony were planning on selling (can't see any other reason), with Sony's current prices only a fool would buy it anyway.
If Sony wants its reputation back with me, firmware 3.00 will have any homebrew allowed, an internet browser comparable to IE and no more firmware updates. I want to be able to play new games without hassle. Is that such a problem?

motz
August 5th, 2006, 09:45
Yes it's true Sony used to have their eye on the ball.
It's just a shame that they would try so hard to force firmware updates. Even if someone made a homebrew application that Sony were planning on selling (can't see any other reason), with Sony's current prices only a fool would buy it anyway.
If Sony wants its reputation back with me, firmware 3.00 will have any homebrew allowed, an internet browser comparable to IE and no more firmware updates. I want to be able to play new games without hassle. Is that such a problem? I would like to see a psp version of firefox and thunderbird. :D

Physicist
August 5th, 2006, 09:52
I would like to see a psp version of firefox and thunderbird. :D

lol yeah would be nice if that wasnt just an image huh?

but that's my point. why can't we have a firefox psp? there is absolutely no reason, except Sony simply wont let us.

Hungry Horace
August 5th, 2006, 09:57
an interesting post, although coming to a favourable conclusion, imho it's still largely lead by the views of the article(s) which inspired it.

when the alternatives are Nintendo (console fanboy wank) and Megasloth (we hate our users) for me next gen is *only* sony.... i doubt i'm alone.

also ShadowMate ... you need to look up the difference between "there" and "their" - hehehe - just joshing with ya ;)

Addictedd
August 5th, 2006, 10:05
the browser is firefox, it's just a portable version..

NoQuarter
August 5th, 2006, 10:21
Nice article shadow I share your sentiment in a lot of ways.My next gen consoles are going to be wii and ps3 I mean sure the ps3 is expensive but it's going to have those titles I just can't live without.Your right on the mark about them not launching a full assault on hombrew,really they're just trying to protect their investment.On the other hand a lot of things have to change within the company.Obviously they're friendly to the homebrew in some way,cmon the ps3 will use linux.They just don't like the piracy.
Oh,and Motz firefox would rock for the psp!!!!

Emeriastone
August 5th, 2006, 10:23
I will admit my respect for the company has gone down in recent months, oh with the news of pricing strategies and all, I just don't know what to think of Sony anymore.

The_It
August 5th, 2006, 10:30
Am I the only one that thinks the main cause for all this is money?

punkypine
August 5th, 2006, 10:44
people hate sony the same way they hated microsoft a couple years ago when they were in all that trouble with monopolies, etc. but microsoft is for some reason seen as a good guy in the video game market because they havent sold 10 kajillion xboxes like sony has done with ps2's.

but i have to say that i am satisified with my ps2, have played many of the ps1 games i missed and am planning on buying a ps3. why? the ps3 isnt going to just die, its not going to be a virtual boy type thing. it might end up being like the gamecube was this generation, popular enough that its around but not really all that successful. but on the other hand, people might notice the features.

my dad hates video games. i told him i wanted to buy a playstation 3 (with money i earned) and it annoyed him. then today he was looking for a new TV and he came across a blu-ray player. he was wondering what it was, looked it up online, and was asking me about them. i told him how much they cost, what they are, etc. then i told him about how the ps3 has it built in for even cheaper. and all of a sudden the 600 dollars i told him about earlier didnt seem so bad.

I bought the ps2 at 300 dollars, my N64 at 150, and my SNES at 100. I forget what prices the systems were released at (except ps2), but that didnt really matter. what mattered was how much i was willing to and could pay for the entertainment, and personally, i feel that a couple hundred dollars to spend countless hours playing MGS4, FF13, and other really good looking games is worth more than wasting the same amount of money doing something that'll keep my occupied for a few days.

hell, the PS3 is cheaper than the stand my Dad just ordered for his new TV.

Physicist
August 5th, 2006, 10:54
yeah you try and sit a TV on top of your PS3! :p

Strangler
August 5th, 2006, 11:21
sony needs to push for better software on the psp, it has the worse software and worse software sales out of any of their previous consoles.

shunsai
August 5th, 2006, 14:27
i say what goes around comes around. my searing (and hypocritical) hatred for $ony all began really with a little company called bleem, that they mercilessly sued into the ground... and despite bleem having been vindicated in court, $ony used the battle strategy of atrition and ran them out of business due to legal costs rather than actual alleged illegal activity. long live homebrew! RIP Bleem... no mercy for the merciless.

in reality though, $ony's not going anywhere. and even if they did, someone else would inevitably rise to the challenge of giving gamers what they want.

slayer2psp
August 5th, 2006, 14:37
legacy of kain, area 51, are also on the xbox and are better on it. my collection is of sega stuff saturn dreamcast sega cd i never keep any sony stuff i have hundreds of games for the ps2 and psone but its not worth a dime.sony wont go away they might have a little more trouble this time around 653 dollars is a lot of money for a game player i for one will never buy bluray movies im going with hddvd so i see no point in the ps3 even having bluray its making the thing cost way too much . so with 4 games and no extras the ps3 will cost you were i live $911.56

SSaxdude
August 5th, 2006, 14:50
Even I don't think Sony is that much in trouble (and I am really pissed at them.) I know the PS3 will sell, just nowhere near what they think it will, or how well the PS2 sold.

Chackan
August 5th, 2006, 15:07
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/2588/150pxscejv3.jpg

And I do suppose there are many valid reasons for us to distrust sony these days, they threaten our scene. force us to update our consoles offering us little in return, more or less, saying if you want to play our latest software , you will update!!..

Honestly, i stoped reading in this part. Of course Sony wants to make us update!!! It's piracy issues!!! They don't want any kind of piracy in their console!!!

FFS! It makes sence to me!

shibby420182
August 5th, 2006, 15:31
the ps3 could very well turn out to be the next dreamcast, and the end, i highly doubt it because sony has many other ventures to hide their loses in and try to keep their games alive, Blu-ray is not something to just brush off, it is way better than HDDVD due to the larger capacity of the discs. quality of video is not very noticable with most tvs that people have in there houses. Sony is trying to make their loss as little as possible with the ps3 by charging high prices, but they are hurting their psp with constant firmware upgrades and game developement that requires higher firmware. i had 2.6 since the day it was released and downgraded as soon as i could, and only bought games i was sure to be able to play. Thanks to devhook sony made a couple more bucks off of me in new 2.7 fw games, but if Devhook or homebrew cant keep up with the new fw, sony will lose out on a lot of money of new software sales that require higher fw. i kinda went all over the place here so in short, PS3 still has potential at the high price but does have the ability to end in sega's position, and the psp may be dieing due to the large resistance to fw upgrades.

kfish2oo2
August 5th, 2006, 15:36
Dudes, stop bitching about the PS3 price. Even with the $400+ pricetag, Sony is still making a MASSIVE LOSS PER CONSOLE! The Blu-Ray drive ALONE costs $800 EACH. All the other technology stuffed in there should realisticly command a pricetag of around $1500 at least, yet Sony is selling it to us at a third of the price. The ONLY way Sony can survive the PS3 is if it sells ****ing well and the games (which is where sony really makes any money) sell like hotcakes. If the PS3 flops, Sony is actually doomed. The amount of money invested in the PS3 apparantl y amounts to billions.

heinous
August 5th, 2006, 16:01
... I'm pissed at Sony because they won't let me use homebrew on my psp :(... Oh well, I don't think the PS3 is too expensive for what it is. They just aren't marketing it right...

firedragon_jing
August 5th, 2006, 16:31
I know what you mean shadow but there are a couple of points I can't forgive sony for:
1) Whole firmware affair (we've talked far and wide of this so I want add anything else)
2) Sony prices for everything - Ps3 - (the sony of lately is damn greedy, they should really cut those prices 20-25%)
Aside from these I don't have anything against sony and I think many feel the same way;
they could be again the company that listen to the fan if they could get through these two points.Sony is already losing a lot of money on the PS3, it's actually costing them more to make them then what they are selling them for. I can see them going the same way Sega did with the Dreamcast. They put too much technology out too early, and it's going to kill their system. Now, not only will games be able to be made to fully get the most out for the system for several years, but the cost are going to drive away many of the fans. I want to play some of the sequels to some of my favorite titles on this overkill system with beyond my expectation graphic capabilities, like the remake of Final Fantasy VII, a new Jak game, a new Sly game, Grand Theft Auto, God of War, Prince of Persia, Metal Gear Solid 4, and my probably the one I'm looking most foward to after playing it's three predecesors, Kingdom Hearts 3, aswell as any other good game, but I just can't afford to pay prices that high, especially with the games being high priced BlueRay disc aswell.

I love Sony and I have bought 4 out of the 5 models of systems they have released, but the $600 pricetag is making me look towards the Wii and it's nice low price and awesome innovation, not that I wasn't going to pay attention over to Nintendo, I grew up with Nintendo and bought 8 of their systems, but especially with the disappointing Gamecube I went more with Sony with the PS2. But with Sony keeping the homebrew scene down on the PSP, especially when they're aren't a lot great games out yet for the system, Sony is starting to look pretty disappointing.

I want to see Sony continue and be great again, but they're focusing too much on their power trip and trying to cancel out any competition when it's only themselves they are hurting the most. For their sakes, I hope nobody figures out how to run ISOs on the PS3 till the end of the consoles lifespan, or else Sony may drop out of the video gaming community. Think about it, they're already losing a lot of money from just making ther PS3, and their only hope on the console succeding is on the games selling, and with their hardware specs, they aren't going to have many developers at the begginning just like with the PSP, and they're already having issues with ISOs on the PSP, if underground developers get ISOs working on the PS3, that means Sony won't be making money on either the console nor the games, aswell as losing their third party developers support on making games, meaning that could speel the end of Sony, and that is something no one really wants to see. ((Except for maybe Microsoft and Nintendo))

firedragon_jing
August 5th, 2006, 16:35
Dudes, stop bitching about the PS3 price. Even with the $400+ pricetag, Sony is still making a MASSIVE LOSS PER CONSOLE! The Blu-Ray drive ALONE costs $800 EACH. All the other technology stuffed in there should realisticly command a pricetag of around $1500 at least, yet Sony is selling it to us at a third of the price. The ONLY way Sony can survive the PS3 is if it sells ****ing well and the games (which is where sony really makes any money) sell like hotcakes. If the PS3 flops, Sony is actually doomed. The amount of money invested in the PS3 apparantl y amounts to billions.Actually, the PS3s cost only about $700-$800 to make, which is still a loss for them, but not as much as you said.

Hungry Horace
August 5th, 2006, 18:23
i think a lot of people are forgetting about the hundresd of thousands of people who have a PS2 or PSP, arent any part of "the scene", arent vocal about having any issues with Sony, never use homebrew, and who can afford to and will gladly go out and buy a PS3 when it's released.

we really are a minority here, and i think it's easy for people to forget that.

the "mass market" which sony will aim to sell to is *not* well represented by us here in the homebrew scene, and most of them will not take issue with Sony.... there's not a hope in hell of it being another Dreamcast.

Drunken
August 5th, 2006, 19:10
Personally i dont think it was right forcing us to update our psp's but i think it was for the existance of iso's i mean i personally think if people didnt find out about iso's and emulators that there wouldnt be a problem with them trying to get us to upgrade but i personally think is more their fault i mean there are probably less people using iso's then they think and if they are they are probably using it legally.

Voltron
August 5th, 2006, 19:19
sony needs to push for better software on the psp, it has the worse software and worse software sales out of any of their previous consoles.

NO, there is no way that this is still true if you've tried a lot of the newer games. The PSP now has dozens of high quality, really great games. And starting in September and every month thereafter, the games that are set to be released for the PSP look AWESOME and should make the PSP one of the hottest holiday items.

People are more mobile nowadays. I think mobile gaming is going to continue to grow at a blistering pace thanks to the PSP & DS Lite.

jwilds73
August 5th, 2006, 20:02
If it wasn't for homebrew I probably wouldn't have a PSP. I bought it knowing it could run homebrew. There is simply nothing published I currently want for it. The only game I truly wanted was Tony Hawk. I bought GTA just to have it though I am and always was 1.50 but now I can emulate it through Devhook so it gets played but it sat for months still wrapped up before I learned about Devhook. Of the three UMD games I own GTA was the only one I bought new. I pour over the shelves at my local gamestop and see nothing that compells me to buy it. I'd have to say for a handheld system this has to be one of the worse in terms of available titles that appeal to me. It's taken a long time to get the amount of releases we have and I really don't care for much of it.

Then there are the movies the price point killed them as no one in their right mind is going to buy a umd movie for equal to or more then it's dvd counterpart. Especially when you can rip your dvd's and watch them on your psp.

I just feel disappointed with Sony's support of it's umd format and wonder how it will handle Blue Ray which it will try and shove down my throat with the PS3. I had visions of playing my UMD games on my PS3 then sync'ing my saves and taking the games with me on the go again. I envisoned content that would only be unlockable when the umd game was played on the PS3. Maybe special characters in a Final Fantasy game that you could only unlock by playing through the PS3. However none of this is going to happen but hey it's a Blue Ray player!~

Voltron
August 5th, 2006, 21:00
I had visions of playing my UMD games on my PS3 then sync'ing my saves and taking the games with me on the go again.

A lot of people want this but how would a game designed for such a small handheld display look on a TV? I'd be concerned about the picture being stretched/blurred/pixelated etc. etc.

If the games could somehow be upconverted with filters to make the picture look sharp, that would be a cool feature. Maybe an external UMD drive that can attach to the PS3?

We'll see...

Irfaan
August 5th, 2006, 21:37
Nice report man! It is so sad to see sony losing its respect. I just recently have been into sony ever since i had my PSP. Seriously, what is there without sony, the other consoles just ain't decent.

and "Uruz 6" i couldn't agree with you anymore, they need to fix there prices (i mean, PS2 games cheaper the PSP?) and they need full support on firmware 3.0

R@IDER

muffinman
August 5th, 2006, 23:21
sony will sell to the mass's and it will sell out on release and will sell strong for a long time.
I am going to be purchasing some and if you go down to your local gamestation (as they took pre-orders :s) they will tell you they sold out in five days and that was 2 months ago.

sony wont have many problems this time around as the public will be tired with their 360's if they bought them or waiting for the ps3 and if you ask a random person from the public what the wii is they will tell you it is urination.

anyways i will be buying a wii and a ps3 so i get the best of both worlds.

also very nice report shadow enjoyed reading it.

PSPFR3AK
August 6th, 2006, 01:50
"Everyone has lost faith in a company that used to be our friend."

Speak for yourself.

SONY is the best out there , now nintendo is shit and so is xflop 1.5 , i played nintendo when i was a kid and honestly sometimes i play some snes roms on my PSP not because are good games(there were good games at that time not anymore) but just to remind me the times when i was a kid and played those games.

As for xflop , please , MS should called it ...XFPS since most of its games are FPS , xflop has no diversity.

jwilds73
August 6th, 2006, 05:06
A lot of people want this but how would a game designed for such a small handheld display look on a TV? I'd be concerned about the picture being stretched/blurred/pixelated etc. etc.

If the games could somehow be upconverted with filters to make the picture look sharp, that would be a cool feature. Maybe an external UMD drive that can attach to the PS3?

We'll see...

Many current emulators for the psp do filtering to take care of this problem when stretching screens to fit the psp. Also the GP2X has some sorta scaling for its tv out built right in.

Emulation_Chief
August 6th, 2006, 08:14
Hello:

Certainly Sony is changing its way of doing business. Both on the Commercial and the Market side.

On the commercial side, Sony gave us the PSX/PSone console as a revolution in video gaming. I found this "Revolution" as a big marketing campaing Ad and a lot of games to choose from. As of today thousands of games worldwide are available. But fun factor starts to lose as developers start to deliver cutting edge graphics and 3D stereo sound to the games release. The best games PSone has are the "beloved" ones of the Market. From 1000 games, a mere 100 worth the purchase of the console.

The same statergy comes when PS2 appears. Now, the gaming machine has DVD playback capabilities and a optic fiber audio output for ultimate sound experience. Still, a $200 million marketing campaign accompany this next console. the must-have and "beloved" games are mostly sequels of the best PSone titles. Very few original entries can be categorized as must-have. At least PSone Developers were more creative than the PS2 ones. Like I stated before, very few originally new games were creative.

Now its turn to PS3. The console has the latest cutting-edge technology at its disposal, available at a high-price tag and a lot of arrogance by Sony's representatives that believes the PS3 will dominate the competition from day 1. The new stratergy turns out to sell the console as the "ultimate computing entertainment experience". No gaming machine this time. Kutaragi said on an article that PS3 will be "upgradable". If I'm right, this means that to play the latest game?! or Blu-Ray movie, I have to pay extra for the upgrades to make it work. Not good.

On the Martket side, Sony did change the industry with both the PSone and PStwo. Those consoles are gaming machines. The PS3 will not be a gaming machine anymore. It will be a relatively small-size computing entertainment system with a Blu-Ray player that can play games. the Upgrading ability doesn't leave much space to cut prices of the machine too fast to keep up with rivals Wii and 360.

The Market, all of us gamers and non-gamers, will be affected by the high price of the machine and the low launch game titles. Probably they will be more Blu-Ray movies available than games. These changes the perception and the real target market of this industry. The majority of us will not support Sony's new machine until happens one of these: Price cuts on the PS3 or Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy XIII appears.

And I'm sure you will wait for both.

shadowprophet
August 6th, 2006, 08:27
Actually I was listening to a pod cast from 1up the other day and the EGM staff where talking about the size of the ps3 itself. they said it was monstrous. Even though it looks sleek, and nice, and seems very well designed. That its roughly the size of the original x-box.

That seems a little large for a console in my opinion.

GameBoiye
August 6th, 2006, 09:24
You know...if sony cut the price point any more than they already have, they would most likely go broke. For my next gen system, I want something that's powerful and can do a lot of different things, only sony way able to deliver.

RicardoG
August 6th, 2006, 14:37
The only problem that Sony haves is Ken Kutaragi, he is the arrogant one.
He was the first one to say that the PS3 was not a hardware for the average players (the ones with PS2), but for a higher crowd.
Sony doesn't like his atitude, but he was the one who came to produce the PS1 and the PS2 so they try to deposit some (little) faith on him.
I like Sony in terms of design.

RicardoG
August 6th, 2006, 14:49
In terms of next gen console if we want something new and something futuristic like the Blue Ray.
Buy the PS3, the others are only offering the same consoles with diferent designs.
Xbox - DVD player
Xbox360 - DVD player

Gamecube - Mini DVD? player (Nintendo Discs and none others)
Wii - DVD player (can you see movies? who knows?)

The size does matter...whould you like to play Final Fantasy XIII in 2 DVDs?
Imagine if you whould...when you would reach the second DVD you only whould be able to enter in some cities.
I hope Im making sense here...
Who played the Final Fantasy VIII and didn't got mad because on the disc 4 couldn't enter in any cities?
Think it was because of the storie?
No, it was the space avalable on the CD.
Think about...

Doctor D
August 6th, 2006, 18:00
The real qustion is, would we be any better off if MS dominated the market?

IMO, what we're seeing is simply the result of market forces. With the intro of the Xbox, MS has, from the start, clearly set their sights on total domination of the market. Even if it takes a decade, MS is willing to take massive loses from their gaming division, for as long as their shareholders will accept it. Sony has no such monoploy such as Windows to rely upon.

In a sense, this has painted Sony into a corner, either match MS with continual incremental upgrades, or concentrate all of their resources into one massive hardware upgrade, with the hope that it will pay off down the road, with the sale of games. That is a function of game developers.

With longer, more complex games, naturally the costs will be higher. And Sony has pledged to protect their interest, ie, stamp out piracy. We see this all across the entertainment industry, Apple, Intel ViiV, and the Motion Picture Association. Nintendo has always been proprietary, yet rarley do you hear it descibed as "evil". The larger the lead in a particular niche, the more a company stands to lose, followed by more draconian anti-piracy measures. I think the battle between hackers/corporations will never end, like a dog chasing its own tail.

Sadly, the PSP seems to have taken a back seat in the larger perspective of "the console wars". Its is also a line drawn in the sand between independant minded/fair use vs. the corporate interest camps. Full of potential, that it may never live up to, before the next "hot" item is produced.

My point is not to take a side, only to express my point of view. Ultimately, we make the choice as consumers. The best move seems to consider your choices carefully, and don't by into hype.

PSPFR3AK
August 7th, 2006, 01:10
The only problem that Sony haves is Ken Kutaragi, he is the arrogant one.
He was the first one to say that the PS3 was not a hardware for the average players (the ones with PS2), but for a higher crowd.
Sony doesn't like his atitude, but he was the one who came to produce the PS1 and the PS2 so they try to deposit some (little) faith on him.
I like Sony in terms of design.without Ken Kutaragi there is no Playstation

Musoka_Eimin
August 7th, 2006, 02:49
As much as I love my sony products, consoles etc, they really have turned me off with forced updates EVEN ON MOVIES, for psp, and the PS3 looks like a nightmare, Sony needs a good slap to take their arrogance down a notch. I really REALLY want a PS3 but ya know waiting tables and not being overly wealthy, I am not sure I can afford it. I could care less if the stupid thing had blue ray or not. Does Sony not realize a large chunk of their consumer base is 20 something year olds with not a hell of a lot of extra cash to spend on things like expensive HDTVs and all this crap? I just want a good unit with the software titles and backing that I have come to expect from Sony over the last ten years.... Way to alienate your die hard fans guys. Still hoping they learn and change their business model even just a bit.... Thats my 2 bits.

RicardoG
August 7th, 2006, 19:04
Doctor D I really understand your point, I also think that MS is taking all the monopoly...can't they quench their thirst for money with the Windows?
Sony is a big company but they have a lot of oponents not like MS...we have the Windows, MAC and Linux...they only have 2 oponents and MS surpasses them all!