PDA

View Full Version : Homebrewed Zelda DS Demo

lupidan
August 5th, 2006, 09:27
Ok, I think it's about time to release a demo. So here it is ;)

I have released this demo for the Z3, a Zelda-themed games for PC expo. They asked me if I could release a demo for it, I was really happy and accepted. For more info about this Z3, visit www.zfgc.com

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAVmQ5rk0YE

http://www.usuarios.lycos.es/lupidangame/images/screensZelda/18-07-2006%5B1%5D.PNG http://www.usuarios.lycos.es/lupidangame/images/screensZelda/18-07-2006%5B2%5D.PNG

http://www.usuarios.lycos.es/lupidangame/images/screensZelda/18-07-2006%5B3%5D.PNG http://www.usuarios.lycos.es/lupidangame/images/screensZelda/18-07-2006%5B4%5D.PNG

Known bugs
-> Extrange problems with Backgrounds [I have no explanation for it]
-> Entering Tutorial level lots of times will cause errors with background .MOD music, it will be likely because the MOD is not compatible with NDS Hardware
-> When enemies start their destroy animation they can hurt Link, I'll fix it soon

there must be more, it's just I don't remember

The demo is composed of:
-> Start screen, two languages [Spanish - English] and three Link colours, you can change them in Options
-> Choose level screen
-> A tutorial so you can learn how to play the game
-> Three stages for the "Wind element world" and the boss (I plan to add more stages)
-> Background music wich can cause problems with the game (very extrange if it happens)

Well, have fun ;)

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Kaiser
August 5th, 2006, 09:35
Nice work downloading.... :)

edit: I've uploaded the files to the forums for easier access (hope you don't mind). Remember as a coder you can post news and releases directly to the forums.

ChaoFan531
August 5th, 2006, 09:49
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :eek: :o :) ;) <ew

ChaoFan531
August 5th, 2006, 09:53
:confused: :confused: :confused: Emperor Kuzco's voice: "didn't work" face!

lupidan
August 5th, 2006, 10:59
Oooops, forgot to say...
It won't work in Movie Player or via WifiMe sorry, sounds use a File System for gba flashcarts :p

wraggster
August 5th, 2006, 11:01
Its a fantastic looking Homebrew demo for the Nintendo DS :)

Darksaviour69
August 5th, 2006, 11:07
that looks brilliant, very well done

edit: i was impressed i decide to digg it

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Homebrewed_Zelda_DS_Demo

Voltron
August 5th, 2006, 19:43
This does look good indeed!

Aryn
August 5th, 2006, 20:08
I tried the game on my M3 Adapter and I must say that I am impressed. This is one of the few homebrew games that I intend to keep playing for a long time, and I must say that the nintendo ds homebrew scene needs more people who can create games of this caliber.

Oh, just a suggestion, perhaps adding features that allow people to add their own levels and level graphics (and of course access the levels on the compact flash/sd/flash card, or bundling the levels with the game by running a program on the pc) would be an interestng project after this game is complete.

lupidan
August 5th, 2006, 21:17
You know, I was thinking EXACTLY that.
It would make things much easier, and the main .nds file would reduce its size as well as alowing people to help with level desingning.

But I'm using PALib, is there any way to use fat with PALib?

lexluthor
August 6th, 2006, 00:09
Ah wow I love this game! I got really stuck on the level with the rising floor but I managed to do it eventually. I was so addicted.

Cant wait for the full version.

Best homebrew game ever? I think so.

brennxn
August 6th, 2006, 03:46
Can't you fix the file system fo us GBAMP users?

lexluthor
August 6th, 2006, 10:06
You should impliment lives into it. Whilist it would only make it even harder, the fact that you can just keep on retrying seems silly.

iball
August 6th, 2006, 11:20
Well, the demo works on my Supercard mini-SD, but only after running it through the SC homebrew convertor.
Might want to just include a .SC.NDS version in the next release to save us the hassle.

lupidan
August 6th, 2006, 11:26
There is a sc.nds version... >_>
Just read the first topic :P

And sorry, I just don't know how to make it work in a Movie Player, sorry :(

iball
August 6th, 2006, 11:38

Whoops, I downloaded it from ANOTHER site earlier that DIDN'T have that version.
Once you get this finished, get Oracle of Life Online ported over. :)

Zion
August 6th, 2006, 19:25
Please someone get this to work in movie player! :p

I want to try it :D

hmmm.....i have a rival.....lol :p

brennxn
August 6th, 2006, 20:26

Well, you said it was the sound's file system that makes it not work on GBAMP? Just remove the sound alltogether...

linkenski
August 8th, 2006, 18:44
Please get some hints on how to use it for Movie players! i really wanna play it on my Max Media Dock!

postaboy
August 23rd, 2006, 01:39
once again it doesnt work for me

JD/
August 23rd, 2006, 02:05
wow this is one sweet looking homebrew im gnna try and load to my flashcart and see if it works.

porkchop21
August 25th, 2006, 05:50
:( it didnt work when i triedto open it the screen just goes white HELP please

Tennisgy
September 24th, 2006, 00:45
Great!

Payk
September 24th, 2006, 12:12
Ohh dude...pa is a bad idea. Guess why the bg has bugs. Its not your fault and now u cant do anything against it. You will have to wait till mollusk finds it.
And i am quite sure that fat should work on palib. Its a lib like very other lib. :)
Btw: I really like your game. If you need help to get it working on libnds...send me a pm

CrackA
September 24th, 2006, 13:20
the way it looks i would pay for it :p

seriously tho, looks very cool

JD/
September 24th, 2006, 14:04
the way it looks i would pay for it :p

seriously tho, looks very cool
me too man it didnt work on my flash card though :( i need super card!!!

caesarthehun
September 25th, 2006, 15:52
okay is it just me or is there a problem with the tutorial? i get there, and then it says " this is the screen" or whatever, what should i do to continue? press a specific button?

willd
April 5th, 2007, 00:04
this is cool

wwsephirothdo
April 7th, 2007, 15:36
A) looking at the screen shoots do you have jumping in a zelda game? -trows holy watter-

B) little buggy here and there but works on my r4

Solid_Snake1337
April 8th, 2007, 02:35
nice work on the demo, it plays pretty good, other than those few bugs:thumbup:

Fujiryu
April 8th, 2007, 06:05
Looks great, but.....they might sue you someday.

Asch
April 30th, 2007, 23:52
Hey I have a little problem: I have R4 DS, te thing is that when I try to open it the screen goes black. I've run the source and the .nds file through the patcher, but it still doesn't play. If you have the time, please help me out, it looks waaaay to cool not to test it >_<

Echo1
May 1st, 2007, 00:49
A) looking at the screen shoots do you have jumping in a zelda game? -trows holy watter-

B) little buggy here and there but works on my r4

It works on your R4? How? Doesn't for me.:(

Asch
May 1st, 2007, 03:02
wwsephirothdo, please tell us how you did to make it work on your R4. Unless you have a phat DS, because it wouldn't be useful (for me, since I have a lite one). Thanks in advance :)

ZServ
May 1st, 2007, 05:29
LUPI?! Crazy to see you here! Hey! And, nice work btw :D

DanTheManMS
May 1st, 2007, 06:02
ZServ, this was way back from last year's Z3. But I do agree, it was nice to see him again, at least briefly.

In case you're interested, I've also spoken to tssf a few times on some of these DS forums.

edgar581
May 26th, 2007, 17:09
i did download it,but when i open the file on myDS,it wont start

Hyrule_boy
May 27th, 2007, 12:38
That's because the lib(s) he used are outdated.

tarius09
June 1st, 2007, 14:52
this the only homebrew that won't work the screen goes white when i try to start it help.:confused:

Hyrule_boy
June 1st, 2007, 17:37

50calCerberus
June 12th, 2007, 01:34
i tried puttn it on my music n' games thing and it didnt work the screen jus went black and white wats up wit this?

Hyrule_boy
June 12th, 2007, 07:01

And if you just moved your lazy ass just one page back you could've read that already.

edgar581
June 28th, 2007, 19:04
i cant play the game because it only shows a blank screen and freezes.i use lexar platinum ll as my flashcard.

edgar581
June 28th, 2007, 19:05
any help please:)

Hyrule_boy
June 29th, 2007, 01:24
No need for double posting plus learn to read.

DanTheManMS
June 29th, 2007, 03:05
Seriously, read the other posts in this thread. If it doesn't work for you, sorry, there's no way to fix it short of recompiling the entire thing, which you'd have to ask Lupidan to do himself.

dark.nowhere
July 8th, 2007, 16:40
Wow, stunning work. Really doesn't feel like a Zelda game, but it's def cool. IMO you've got the resources to put your own stylings on instead of doing the Zelda thing.

linkenski
July 11th, 2007, 12:42
MUST WORK ON R4!!! If just he gave the source! then some1 could maybe add DLDI!!!

DanTheManMS
July 11th, 2007, 18:49
I don't think DLDI would help. To be honest I don't really know why it only boots on slot-2 devices. Even if it has a built-in filesystem, it's less than 4 MB in size, so slot-1 devices should be able to run it in theory. Of course this isn't the case, and I know it's more complicated than what I currently understand.

Perhaps PAFS requires GBA compatibility even when the binary is less than 4 MB, unlike GBFS.

-Shadow2-1-
July 12th, 2007, 04:03
i have the MMD and the Zelda rom, wich by the way looks really good. it works on my computer with the DeSmuMe emulator but when i put the emu and the game on my DS it wont play. PLEASE HELP. GIVE tIPs OR SOMETHIN" PEOPLE. Help A BROTHER Out. thanx in advance. email

[email protected]

i know im an idiot putting my email on a forum but i want help BAD.

-Shadow2-1-
July 12th, 2007, 04:05
should iget a new emulator. if so wich ones

DanTheManMS
July 12th, 2007, 05:17
Please read the other posts in this thread.

henry2007
August 8th, 2007, 05:33
it doesnt work on my max media dock why?

DanTheManMS
August 8th, 2007, 06:22

Maturion
August 8th, 2007, 12:15
This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Viacom International Inc.

...says YouTube.
Why the hell has it been deleted? I can't believe what YouTube says.

sushihad
August 9th, 2007, 00:39
hmm it doesnt work on mmd for some reason

DanTheManMS
August 9th, 2007, 00:52
*bangs head against keyboard*

Hyrule_boy
August 13th, 2007, 20:26
Use those ****ing eyes God gave you!

davemartin
August 16th, 2007, 23:00
Use those ****ing eyes God gave you!

Is such an attitude really neccessary?

I've read the thread over and over, and am experiencing the same problems. Theres no solution in reading the thread, so am I safe to assume theres no 'cure'? If so, why not just say such rather than making people hunt for ambigious posts?

Dave

DanTheManMS
August 17th, 2007, 01:53
The answer is that there is no "cure" to make it work on more devices. The following posts back this up:

Oooops, forgot to say...
It won't work in Movie Player or via WifiMe sorry, sounds use a File System for gba flashcarts :p

If it doesn't work for you, sorry, there's no way to fix it short of recompiling the entire thing, which you'd have to ask Lupidan to do himself.

Perhaps PAFS requires GBA compatibility even when the binary is less than 4 MB, unlike GBFS.
(I am now 95% certain that this is the issue)

Buttertoast45
August 18th, 2007, 18:20
Can't get it to work

DanTheManMS
August 18th, 2007, 23:13
Can't get it to work

Unless you have a slot-2 device with GBA compatibility, it won't run.

Dagangstah
August 22nd, 2007, 01:38
Umm, this isn't working for me, am I doing something wrong?

I'm using a M3 Simply

DanTheManMS
August 22nd, 2007, 04:38
Umm, this isn't working for me, am I doing something wrong?

I'm using a M3 Simply

Hyrule_boy
August 22nd, 2007, 14:41
Can't a mod or admin lock this topic? It won't just work! and it's annoying to see all these people posting that it doesn't work.

DanTheManMS
August 23rd, 2007, 04:50
Why should it be locked? It's a fun game, and I thoroughly enjoyed playing it. Sure it only works on a few devices, but that's no reason to lock it.

As for the guys that don't read, just answer them calmly and move on, it's not worth getting angry about.

Beeselbub
September 6th, 2007, 01:12
it doesnt works on my Games n Music i tried to patchit but nothing

DanTheManMS
September 6th, 2007, 02:12

warcat78
October 9th, 2007, 01:54
Any chance of this working on my Datel's Games n' Music?

BelmontSlayer
October 9th, 2007, 03:01
Any chance of this working on my Datel's Games n' Music?

No. Not unless the creator updates the game's drivers.

jonnyatwood
December 11th, 2007, 05:18
My computer will not download it?

wed536
April 29th, 2008, 23:59
my ds can run windows 95 i can post it if i new where to post it? p.s. comes with--win95.windoc.jpegwin.msdos.jmn.nds

oh yah nice job with the zelda nds file

ds benjmin
August 30th, 2008, 22:04
Ok, I think it's about time to release a demo. So here it is ;)

I have released this demo for the Z3, a Zelda-themed games for PC expo. They asked me if I could release a demo for it, I was really happy and accepted. For more info about this Z3, visit www.zfgc.com

Video:
Youtube Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAVmQ5rk0YE)

http://www.usuarios.lycos.es/lupidangame/images/screensZelda/18-07-2006%5B1%5D.PNG http://www.usuarios.lycos.es/lupidangame/images/screensZelda/18-07-2006%5B2%5D.PNG

http://www.usuarios.lycos.es/lupidangame/images/screensZelda/18-07-2006%5B3%5D.PNG http://www.usuarios.lycos.es/lupidangame/images/screensZelda/18-07-2006%5B4%5D.PNG

Known bugs
-> Extrange problems with Backgrounds [I have no explanation for it]
-> Entering Tutorial level lots of times will cause errors with background .MOD music, it will be likely because the MOD is not compatible with NDS Hardware
-> When enemies start their destroy animation they can hurt Link, I'll fix it soon

there must be more, it's just I don't remember

The demo is composed of:
-> Start screen, two languages [Spanish - English] and three Link colours, you can change them in Options
-> Choose level screen
-> A tutorial so you can learn how to play the game
-> Three stages for the "Wind element world" and the boss (I plan to add more stages)
-> Background music wich can cause problems with the game (very extrange if it happens)

Well, have fun ;)

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

sorry to bump an old topic but this gem of a homebrew game won't frickin work on my supercard:mad:,
can you tell me what is wrong? :confused::confused::confused:

DanTheManMS
September 2nd, 2008, 23:41
"it doesn't work" isn't helpful at all when trying to figure out what the problem is.

Your Supercard must be a slot-2 non-Rumble Supercard in order to work. If you've got a slot-1 Supercard DS or a slot-2 Supercard Rumble, you will not be able to launch it.