PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Sony: Sell More PSPs to Get PS3s

wraggster
August 5th, 2006, 15:58
A retail tipster sends word on how Sony's stock of Playstation 3s will likely be sent out to retails in North America. According to the insider, Sony Computer Entertainment of America has announced that PS3 allocations to all retailers will be based on new sales of their existing platforms.

"SCEA (Sony Computer Entertainment of America) has announced that Sony PlayStation 3 allocations to all retailers will be based on NEW sales of their existing platforms (PlayStation 2 and PlayStation
Portable)."

"Hardware allocation will NOT be based on existing pre-orders (or "deposits")."

In other words, stores that sell the most PS2s and PSPs in the coming months get the most PS3s. Hmmm, odd. Of course, take this with a grain of salt and all of that lovely stuff.

News via Kotaku (http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/psp/rumor-sony-sell-more-psps-to-get-ps3s-192296.php)

Video_freak
August 5th, 2006, 16:25
thats kinda weird, but it encourages stores to sell more hardware and make better offers :D

Ichijoe
August 5th, 2006, 18:50
You know I don't realy care One way about this.
I don't think the run on the PS3™ is going to be anywhere near that of the XBOX 360°™, last Year.
With a Pricetag of over €600.00(EUR), I'm sure as Hell am not going to bother with it!

Personaly I'm just cooling my Heels 'till we see some Dumb-arsrhole's, smashing up there €600.00(EUR), investment, or are just stupid enough to let it accidentally 'slip' out of a Car Window at the local Wal-Mart! ROTFLMFAO!

Pico
August 5th, 2006, 20:31
The good thing about this (if its true) is that the ps3 potentionaly wont sell out so fast if they are distributed in this way.

Voltron
August 5th, 2006, 20:35
Very clever tactic to sell more PSP's and PS2's. I can't say its a bad idea.

As far as the PS3 and its price. I don't mind the price as everything that is included is actually a bargain at $599.99.

For instance: If I want to go and pick up a Blu-Ray player today at my local Best Buy I'd have to shell out $999.99. So with the PS3 giving me a Blu-Ray player for $400.00 cheaper than what they are now and ALSO being a PS3 is a steal. Sony will definitely be taking a hit on each hardware unit sold until economy of scale sets in.

Nobody should bitch about the price. You can either afford it or you can't. But I'm sure EVERYONE wants it. Its easy to bash the PS3 if you can't afford it. I understand it soothes the stinging feeling.

::IMPORTANT::

Sony BETTER make sure that initial units are built correctly and to last. I am so SICK of having to replace my PlayStations after a year or 2 because of "disc read errors" and other faults. My PSOne died on me and my first PS2 died on me as well. Both were purchased on launch day and were obviously the first batch of units to hit retail. This just simply will NOT be acceptable on a $600.00 consumer electronic product. I should not have to be pressured into buying a $100+ dollar service plan through Best Buy or any other retailer to make sure I am getting something that will last.

My PSP was purchased on launch day in the U.S. and it has had no problems despite the heavy use, overclocking, etc. SO at least Sony got it right with the PSP. For most people anyway.

Sony is losing 2 - 1 with me. They need to even the score and redeem themselves with the PS3. Lets hope they can pull it off.

stotheamuel
August 5th, 2006, 20:55
Bad strategy

people who are just now buying ps2s and psps are very late and wont be adopting to the ps3 for atleast a year or 2

and i agree with voltron that it is a deal

MaxSMoke
August 5th, 2006, 21:29
Or you could just buy a Wii and a Xbox 360! I think Sony is going to bite it BIG on the PS3.

psiko_scweek
August 6th, 2006, 00:35
see, nintendo has it made, i dont know anyone who isnt going to get one. the cheap price makes it a great deal.

now sony is going to have to rely on people like Voltron and stotheamuel to purchase their system. Im not saying the PS3 is going to be horrible, but I do think as of now, its overpriced. Ill get one eventually, but not right off the bat, as I was first in line to get a PS2 when they came out and 6 months later the laser gave me DiscReadErrors and Sony woudnt fix it. (i ended up making them...)

QueadlunnRau
August 6th, 2006, 02:20
IC lots of people complain thier PS2 DVD-Rom/Laser have gone wierd ... I am wondering what you are all doing? Do you have pets and don't vacuum often? Do you live in a desert environment? Do you get frustraited at games and throw gummy bears at your PS2.

I purchased my PS2 at 12:00 midnight the day it came out, waiting in a 6 hour long line in San Jose, CA and still using that same PS2 today. Maybe I just got lucky?

Anyway Sony has some pretty wierd market stratagies and it really pisses off the average consumer ... I used to be a DIE HARD Sony fan back when the PS1 came out ... now I find myself liking Samsung electronics better and dreading the price of the PS3.

Maybe I'll rob a bank with a Sony brand gun ... need to buy that Sony brand amunition, cause lord knows I'll lose my warrenty if I use a third party. -sarcasm

TerryMathews
August 6th, 2006, 16:47
IC lots of people complain thier PS2 DVD-Rom/Laser have gone wierd ... I am wondering what you are all doing? Do you have pets and don't vacuum often? Do you live in a desert environment? Do you get frustraited at games and throw gummy bears at your PS2.[/I]

I used to feel the same way you do - I couldn't believe so many people had trouble with their PS2s. I've seen plenty of them come in where I work.

Problem is, there have been people who bring them in that give DDEs that I know take care of their stuff.

I haven't been able to find it recently, but back before the PS2 launched, Sony had a PR about how they developed a way to make a DVD-ROM drive using fewer parts than were used previously. Personally, I think that's what is wrong with the PS2's drive, but we'll never really know.

csd-san
August 6th, 2006, 18:16
This news post might be true. I was talking with my brother who works at Wal-Mart, and just yesterday it was announced that all employees suddenly get a discount on PSPs. However he already owns one like a good little boy, so he didn't investigate further.

Video_freak
August 6th, 2006, 18:17
This news post might be true. I was talking with my brother who works at Wal-Mart, and just yesterday it was announced that all employees suddenly get a discount on PSPs. However he already owns one like a good little boy, so he didn't investigate further.
do you think he can buy me one :) i'll give him interest