PDA

View Full Version : E3 2010: Are we really ready for 3D?

wraggster
June 17th, 2010, 21:48
For years the talk of 3D in our home has been little more than a sc-fi dream, but all of a sudden the 'revolution' of the third dimension is upon us.

As 3D takes a firm grip of the movie industry, it seems inevitable that the gaming world - which is becoming closer and closer to its older cousin - should follow suit and no-one is pushing progression more than Sony.

But while the Japanese tech giants are keen to show the gaming world that 3D is the future, the questions remains; are we ready to make the jump from two dimensions to three?

As ever the gaming public remains largely sceptical, especially considering there are many who have only made the HD jump in the last three years or so.

The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of gamers may not be ready to make another massively expensive upgrade no matter how much lust they harbour for 3D.

We took a look on CVG's forums to gauge the general feeling. Reegeee summed it up nicely: "I've gotta say they're banking on the public taking it up in the same way they did HD and lowering the price of 3D sets, but I can't see it happening."

But initial scepticism doesn't have to kill new tech before it's even had time to settle in. You only have to look back to when Nintendo announced the Wii; many predicted it to be the nail in the coffin for Ninty and we all know what happened there.

MONEY TALKS
But the whole cost issue is valid, especially considering the world is still reeling from a global recession. 3D will surely only be for those with money to burn at least to begin with - and we've not been to a money burning party for years.

And there are many gamers who are more than happy with their HD TVs and see them as far more necessary for the enjoyment of this gen's gaming experience than a piece of technology that- arguably - looks a lot like a gimmick.

Eventually the price of the 3D experience will of course go down and in two years time people may feel ready to make the switch. By that time we will be in a much better position to judge whether 3D gaming really is a gimmick or a must-have bit of kit that really adds to the experience.

Sony is going to push 3D regardless and from what we've seen at E3 with the likes of Killzone 3 they're off to a good start.

Do the benefits outweigh the costs? Perhaps not right now, but let's remember, Sony pushed Blu-Ray and it became the dominant format. They have ties to related industries and enough clout worldwide to set the agenda.

In the meantime, companies like Sony and Nintendo have to put products on the market that will make people listen to their hearts more than their heads. They have to convince consumer they actually need 3D.

Mmmmgrolsch puts it into perspective: "I think it will be a great added experience to games. I really hope it takes off, but I ain't buying a 3D TV yet."

"I doubt I will buy one this gen, I'm going to wait for prices to come to a sensible practice like £500 to £1000 tops".

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=251034?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS