PDA

View Full Version : Gyro-sensor accessory for Nintendo DS?

wraggster
August 6th, 2006, 10:30
News via Nintendo Gossip (http://nintendogossip.com/?p=281)

When I opened my mailbox ten minutes ago I found this:

Hello Nintendo Gossip crew,

I love the concept of your website so I thought that this ‘gossip’ was something I should share with you instead of leaking it to a big website in the game industry.

Certain developers have received a new accessory from Nintendo. This accessory for the Nintendo DS goes in the GBA cartridge. The one I held in my hands was made for the DS lite but off course there will also be one that fits in the old Nintendo DS. Inside this cartridge is a gyro-sensor. You may remember Wario Ware: Twisted from Intelligent Systems, a game that uses the same type of movement sensor. The sensor registers movements the same way the cartridge did in Wario Ware: Twisted but when I played with the new sensor I got the feeling that it’s slightly better. This DS gyro-sensor doesn’t contain a rumble pak. Nintendo says they tried to fit a rumble pak in the cartridge but it would have made the cartridge too big.

One of the first games that will use this gyro-sensor is Tony Hawk Downhill Jam for the DS. You’ll have to tilt your DS from left to right to steer your skater down the hill. This will give us the feeling like we’re playing with our Nintendo Wii on the road. Other developers got great ideas when they heard about this new accessory but I can’t share them with you yet.

Games like Excite Truck and Tony Hawk Downhill Jam for Nintendo Wii will allow you to connect your Nintendo DS (lite) wireless with your Nintendo Wii. The DS will be used as a controller. Don’t expect too much of this feature since the gyro-sensor cartridge for the DS isn’t as accurate as the Wiimote.

The size of this accessory is the same like the rumble packs for the Nintendo DS and the DS lite. Nintendo will show off this new accessory at the Leipzig Games Convention. I don’t know if there will be any games using this sensory playable on the show floor.

Greets,
Anonymous

True or False only time will tell

Video_freak
August 6th, 2006, 10:38
i hope this a true rumor. it would be an awesome add on for ds :D

iball
August 6th, 2006, 11:25
I'll let you know if I see it at the Leipzig show.

Vegetable
August 6th, 2006, 14:39
Absolutely horribly fake.

Why would he send such vague information through the mail? Why would he rather send this information to a small site rather than somewhere with a large userbase like Joystiq or Gamespot?

A gyroscope for a game such as Tony Hawk on the DS is unfeasible as tilting the DS left and right forces you to lean just to view the screen, which is terribly annoying and uncomfortable.

Sounds like a publicity stunt for me.

Xtreme
August 9th, 2006, 23:52
That news can be a fake or not, but I don't see any reasons why it shouldn't be true.

Gyro in consoles is usually a simple small motor with tappet (they are very cheap). Those are easy to make, I have made several different models (for womens mini vibrators for example).

acn010
August 10th, 2006, 00:03
meh, i like the tilt thing, makes me fuzzy