PDA

View Full Version : The Sticky Right Shoulder Button Problem

wraggster
August 6th, 2006, 22:50
http://image.lik-sang.com/images/90/psp-replace-buttons-blue.jpg

Im sure you have all heard about the DS Lite Case Cracking problems (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31380) but im here to talk about the problem with the sticky right shoulder button on the PSP.

Ive had my 2 PSPs for near on 18 months now (might be longer) but they dont get much usage as im always doing webwork or playing on other consoles.

But when i do play with them the Right Shoulder button is becoming a real pain with sticking, so much that on some games it renders the game unplayable, i did some ivestigation and found the same button on my homebrew PSP did the same and infact it was worse.

Is this just a problem for me or is the stickyness of the Right Shoulder button a serious problem.

Answers and Feedback Via Comments

dagger89
August 6th, 2006, 22:51
My right trigger works just as well as my left....

samidgley
August 6th, 2006, 22:52
...From casual tapping of the right shoulder button, my right button does seems to be slightly stiffer than its left counterpart

punkypine
August 6th, 2006, 23:00
never had a problem with it, even playing loco roco

SnoopKatt
August 6th, 2006, 23:01
I don't have any problems with it.

NoQuarter
August 6th, 2006, 23:04
I had a similar problem on my first psp.After cracking the lcd and taking it back I haven't had this problem.This is my 4th psp, extended warranties rock!

LC_killer
August 6th, 2006, 23:08
i know two people who had the same problem. one fixed it by mashing on it alot. but i keeps coming back. and i belive my other friend had it fixed. the only poblem i had was the analog stick unit. i had to void my psp to fix it.

NoQuarter
August 6th, 2006, 23:15
I knew somebody who also had a problem with the analog stick getting stuck in the up position after getting a larger analog stick attachment.They were able to pop it back in place somehow though.

cypressice
August 6th, 2006, 23:19
my triggers work ok but i don't like the way my start button feels. my first PSP you could feel a click when you pushed it just like the other buttons but on my second the button doesn't feel like it moves at all when i push it

uhoh_hotdogs
August 6th, 2006, 23:20
I have that problem with sticking shoulder buttons but mine is with the left shoulder button. It's incredibly annoying and it is a major problem when I play online. In SOCOM for example, I'll hold L so I can strafe . . . then when I let go of L in order to turn, I'll continue to strafe. It leads to a lot of suicides with grenades and dying from being unable to turn and shoot at my attacker.

cloud_952
August 6th, 2006, 23:30
but im here to talk about the problem with the sticky right shoulder button

My right trigger works just as well as my left

my right button does seems to be slightly stiffer than its left counterpart

I knew somebody who also had a problem with the analog stick getting stuck in the up position

... o_o Taken out of context, this is indeed one of the most disturbing threads I have ever read.

On topic, I've never had a problem with it being any different from the L button. I've tried two different PSPs and haven't noticed an issue, but I find the L and R buttons to just be not terribly responsive in general as a matter of design (especially when playing action games).

Voltron
August 6th, 2006, 23:42
I have an original batch PSP purchased on launch day in the U.S. So far, my shoulder buttons have had no problem. Even when playing Loco Roco which requires constant use of the shoulder buttons.

In general, the shoulder buttons feel a little clunky due to design but no sticking for me.

On the intial batch of PSP's it was said that there were problems with the square button due to its design being slightly different because of it being right next to the screen.

But even that has not been a problem yet. Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe some PSP's were just built better than others.

Either way, I think the fact will always remain that for such a sleek and powerful portable device, it could have been built a little better. What is totally unacceptable is the high amount of people who received PSP's with "stuck" or "dead" pixels.

I think my PSP might have 1 off pixel on the top right corner of the screen. Only noticable when there is a blank or black screen. As soon as any luminous or colors show, the pixel seems fine or is not noticable.

Vega
August 6th, 2006, 23:44
I've had my PSP since last Christmas.. and dont find any problems with either shoulder buttons. And I play my PSP every day. Seems worrying though if people are getting this problem.

LAMPRO
August 6th, 2006, 23:49
the more you use it the less sticky it will be.. the more abuse it gets the more likely you will eventually have to have it maintenenced. or replaced! doh!

i had a brand new psp in my hands a couple weeks ago and couldnt believe how much more solid it felt, compared to my daily pounded psp that ive had since dec 05. what a diff!!

sooner or later, i think a new psp is inevitable for those who really use it alot!!

psp411
August 6th, 2006, 23:59
same thing with me... but it doesnt really bug me. i press it and it feels soo muc more different from my left button but as long as it pops back up when i need it, it all good

Shiaoran
August 6th, 2006, 23:59
One of my PSPs have a problem with the R button, but it's that when you press it, it's like GameCube's, it doesn't do the 'click' with little pressure, I need to press it and after it's down obout 2mm it does the 'click'.

mavsman4457
August 7th, 2006, 00:15
I hate my square button. I can live with it but it is so annoying when I have to repeatedly tap it for some games and it doesn't seem like I'm getting the job done.

SuperNovaBova
August 7th, 2006, 00:20
Do you eat a lot of peanut butter and jelly with your right hand?

lynx2oo2
August 7th, 2006, 00:22
oOn my original UK black psp, the right shoulder button felt alot more spongy, but on my new jap ceramic, the right clicks alot more than the left.

NoQuarter
August 7th, 2006, 00:25
Guess we better start stocking up on replacement parts.

lordnibbla
August 7th, 2006, 00:38
I've dropped my psp over 20 times from at least 2' onto hardwood. No issue with the R no probs at all :p...

except like a week after I got it, myb psp stopped reading umd's, but a few weeks later it just started working again... go figure. (I know that has nothing to do qwith the topic but strange nonetheles)

LC_killer
August 7th, 2006, 01:26
for the umd problem. make sure you charged up. if that doesnt work. take the battery out for about 15 minutes. then put the battery back in.

Zack3008
August 7th, 2006, 01:37
My PSP reads the L button as it's always being pressed, and my PSP was bought by me on the first day it was released in the USA. I think it's the inside button, that is, if it's anything like a remote, or a cheap LCD game.

The_Lead_Factor
August 7th, 2006, 01:44
This was a problem with a few of the launch PSP's....Mine had the same problem.

notaforumtroll
August 7th, 2006, 01:49
Chances are if it "sticks" it just needs to be removed and cleaned out, its just a rubber pad over the button, sometimes replacing your face plate incorrectly results in that also. the button and the rubber pad can be ordered and replaced over the internet so even if it is "broken" it can fixed with $15 bucks and a couple screws

not here anymore
August 7th, 2006, 02:30
no problem with trigger buttons whatsoever.
Guess your psp is dirty as shit.
Puke~~

pooper
August 7th, 2006, 03:04
never had a problem with the right trigger, but i've had too many problems with the analog stick, on my 3rd PSP now...

foolio1990
August 7th, 2006, 03:11
Yea, it is definately a problem, I have it, I just tap the edge, it doesn't stick when I do that.

drew4237
August 7th, 2006, 03:20
Ive never had problems with my shoulder buttons. my right one seems allot different than my left i dont really know how to explain it but they still work. however my anolog stick seems to be a little off casue when im playing racing games i sometimes turn to the left allot and have to stop myself from crashing. and also my dpad when i press it to the right in the menu it doesnt seem to respond but when im playing games i think it works fine.

shibby420182
August 7th, 2006, 04:38
no problems here, but that could be that i am an active user of the R button due to Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror

ACID
August 7th, 2006, 05:00
Man ive had 3 psp 2 from release and never had that problem. And i use my psp like crazy.

TrowaX
August 7th, 2006, 05:39
This is a like off topic but my L and R buttons are a Little Clicky sound is there a way that i can make it not clicky like the first psp i had. (Had to Exchange becuase it was 2.1 firmware now it is 1.50 :)

kayhanbakid
August 7th, 2006, 05:53
my square button sucks too. i bought on launch day in the US.

I also broke my joystick once and bought a replacement. opening up your psp is a life-changing experience.

the one and only
August 7th, 2006, 06:11
my psp has this annoying tendancy for the character onscreen to walk left, even when the stick is in neutral :( it is really annoying

Illegal Machine
August 7th, 2006, 06:21
I replaced the faceplate on mine, and the right trigger stuck a little, I happened to have another PSP faceplate (a 2nd) to compare BOTH originals, and the replacement, and I noticed that theres a noticably different molding for one than there is for the other..

So I shaved a little plastic off the inside in the problem area, and it was fixed up real quick.

maybe its a design flaw that got ironed out in the remanufactured 2nd and 3rd gen models

doverkiller
August 7th, 2006, 07:09
I had kinda problem with my first PSP..
(it was made in Japan) :P
if I didn't press the R trigger properly, it didn't work..

but no problem with my second (Chinese) PSP now.. :)

The_It
August 7th, 2006, 08:48
WD40 the button.

don't do that, it might catch on fire.

by the way... do you all use your psps as a football or something? it seems like everyone has broken 3 or 4 psps, gotta be responsible with something that expensive. :D

Sk8.4.Life
August 7th, 2006, 11:19
I dont quite understand what you mean by "sticky" but I think it's the same thing that used to happen to me. I used to have an original PSP from launch day, and for whatever reason, both triggers, when pushed in, and towards the screen, would snag on the frame of the psp and stay down. It was the strangest thing... But that psp was stolen at school :mad: so I bought another one and it hasn't had that problem at all.

assesoffire
August 7th, 2006, 12:09
you're meant to open it up and sand a tiny bit that sticks. i'm sure it would be easy to identify the offending piece.

I can't find a link

Anger
August 7th, 2006, 12:46
the arrow above shows what bit to sand - i did it but didnt do it enough - planing on doing it again.

*EDIT* damn spaces wont show up - the @'s are spaces ignore them

*EDIT15*
ok the diagram wont show up right - when you take out the button theres an l shape on the left side of the right shoulder button - its the vertical part of the reversed L that you sand

_l <----this bit

notaforumtroll
August 7th, 2006, 13:22
*Everytime* you remove your face plate you have to make sure the rubber button guards are exactly in place otherwise it effects your dpad response alot (especially if you did the ufighterx.com mod to your d-pad) the same goes for your 4 buttons, if you dont replace your face plate properly they will not feel/work right. *I* wonder how many are legit problems and how many are simply people that didnt take the time to clean out/put their psp back together properly....

QueadlunnRau
August 7th, 2006, 15:08
Yo crack your PSP open and clean everything with cow’s blood ... goat’s blood works too. Also make sure to dunk your whole PSP into the mineral rich Dead Sea, you’ll get some calcium deposits and corrosion inside your psp when you turn it on, but hey your PSP will now be uber as it was dunked into a lake that was biblical. Just kidding

But if you cannot gain access to animals blood, nor live near the Dead Sea crack your PSP open and clean your buttons, button contacts and most things around your buttons with a cotton swab (Q-tip) and some rubbing alcohol (do not soak the Q-tip, just get it damp with the alcohol).

I use this method to clean all electronics as gunk build up can occur especially around buttons where your dead skin can accumulate.

P.S. Also always use thread lock (medium blue works best) when you are putting your screws back in. (That way you don't have to tighten your screws too hard and risk stripping your PSP).

Shiaoran
August 7th, 2006, 18:12
For square button issues, try holding your index finger's tip with your thumb, forcing it to release and releasing it right in the button several times, this will push the button strongly and quick. Worked for me, my first PSP had the problem.

Pedal Bike Pete
August 7th, 2006, 20:41
i have a jap and a uk psp, both are fine, i have no trouble with sticky buttons. but my jap one is the oldest and now the power switch is kind of lose, makes it hard to put the unit into hold mode.

Physicist
August 7th, 2006, 20:48
One slightly annoying thing with my PSP is the analog stick, it seems that it's very slightly tilted to the left so when playing GTA the guy wanders in an anticlockwise circle when I let go of the stick. This becomes a problem in Wipeout where I have to continually make tiny adjustments to the steering when I'm trying to go in a straight line.

techne
August 8th, 2006, 08:10
i will say sony has cheap and badly designed parts compared to gameboy parts. I have had an old grey gameboy for so many years i cant count and the buttons all still work perfectly. but sonys d-pad is already wearing out and i dont even pressit hard at all. i have taken it apart and cleaned the contacts. but it seems as if sony really was not thinking about their design when it comes to longevity. dont get me wrong i love my psp. but i wonder sometimes about how long it will last before i have to pay another 150 on ebay to get another one

BL4Z3D247
August 8th, 2006, 08:17
One slightly annoying thing with my PSP is the analog stick, it seems that it's very slightly tilted to the left so when playing GTA the guy wanders in an anticlockwise circle when I let go of the stick. This becomes a problem in Wipeout where I have to continually make tiny adjustments to the steering when I'm trying to go in a straight line.
yes!!!! that happens to me also, but it happens in Daedalus too when i'm playin mario 64, i thought it was just me but my bro's does the same...weird :D

the one and only
August 8th, 2006, 13:42
^^it happens to me as well, it sux

Video_freak
August 8th, 2006, 16:33
i dont have any shoulder button issues (US PSP i bought a little over a year ago).

samthegreat68
August 9th, 2006, 07:28
my right shoulder feels different. but one of my psps directionals does diagonals wayyyy better than the other. and one my friends white psp hits the diagonals better than i have ever seen.