PDA

View Full Version : Why I’ve gone back to DS Fat

wraggster
August 7th, 2006, 06:14
Article via Pockketgamer (http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/blog/?p=140)

It’s smaller, prettier, has better screens and a nicer stylus so when I got my DS Lite, I was a happy man. Having used it for a couple of months however, I’ve been troubled by the question of whether the DS Lite is actually better than its fatter original when it comes to some games?

My right hand, for one, screams ‘No’.

Maybe like old time Nintenditis, such contact marks are just a consequence of playing too many games. After all, I am the Nintendo section editor on the Pocket Gamer website.

But what I’ve noticed when reviewing recent games such as Pirates of the Caribbean and Stormbreaker on DS Lite - anything that requires heavy use of the shoulder buttons (especially the right one) - has left me in agony. You don’t have to be playing for more than a couple of hours a day either. And once you’ve developed a nasty-looking contact mark, you have to avoid playing for a couple of days to let it heal too.

The problem - unsurprisingly - is the smaller size of the DS Lite, which means instead of being able to support your DS without it digging into your hand, you’re more likely to end up grinding the more tightly curved bottom corner of the DS Lite into your palm where your life and head lines meet, as you frantically try to press the shoulder button and action buttons simultaneously. The problem is especially acute in fast-moving action games which characterise the two particular games I’ve had problems with. (I’m currently playing Monster House, which doesn’t use the shoulder buttons, so no problems there.)

This doesn’t happen on DS Fat however as its bigger dimensions mean the contact area is further down your palm, on the more fleshy part of your inner thumb.

Another contributing factor are the flat sides of the DS Lite. The DS Fat, in contrast, has concave edges which spreads the contact over a wider area of your hand. The DS Lite’s top edge does the opposite.

Of course, such ergonomic problems are nothing new in the games business. Microsoft’s original Xbox controller was a wash out despite undergoing thousands of hours of user testing. The problem was it was only tested on large North American hands, not the more petite Asian versions. The DS Lite seems to be a case of such geographic myopia in reverse.

At least my hinges haven’t cracked yet though!

THUD
August 7th, 2006, 11:17
Yer but that screen is terrible on the Old Fatty DS, I really hated the dull appearance...

for me if you could fit a DS lite screen into the Fatty then yes I would consider reverting back...

iball
August 7th, 2006, 14:56
So if you have fat-ass hands, don't get a DS Lite?
Yeah, I'll have to...uhh...remember that or something.

superbeef
August 7th, 2006, 15:01
Actually I agree with the ariticle.

battleroyalex
August 7th, 2006, 16:29
Hold your ds lite loosely, give it room to breathe. I found this out the second day of owning it. It works, no pain.

nar180
August 7th, 2006, 16:56
The old DS looks like crap. I'd much rather keep my lite.

Aryn
August 7th, 2006, 20:25
The fat ds is quite durable, I have been performing various stress tests to see if it will break under more extreme conditions while being carried in my pocket.

I have collided against the corner of a metal beam with the nintendo ds taking the full impact, repeatedly dropped it, kept it in my pocket while walking in the rain and getting totally soaked, kept it in my back pocket and sat on it a few times, placed about 35 to 45 pounds on it, stepped on it, etc. and it is yet to actually get any serious scratches let alone crack.

In my humble opinion, the fact that the ds lite has a brighter screen does not make up for the fact that it is so delicate that it sometimes cracks before people even get to touch it with their own hands.

Video_freak
August 8th, 2006, 16:28
I also completly agree with this article. I've been playing on a DS Lite and feel it's too small :) The shoulder buttons aren't as good as DS Phat and the DS Lite is too breakable.