PDA

View Full Version : Learn Lua?

Prasoc
August 7th, 2006, 10:44
Where would I get the tutorials/compiler for Lua, since I want to start coding.

jman420
August 7th, 2006, 11:11
easiest tutorial I used was at www.psp-programming.com (http://www.psp-programming.com) if that helps...

also, as Lua is a scripting language, and there is no code(rather you just write assignments for the Lua player to use), there realy is no ability to compile a code... but it is possible to get a Lua player for PC that allows you to test your program without using a PSP, however, I would suggest just using a psp version of the player, as it would show you how the program would work on a psp..

and if you need any help, PM me and I can assist you with some entry level Lua coding :D

Prasoc
August 7th, 2006, 11:14
Could the script code be made into an EBOOT.PBP?

MasterChafed
August 7th, 2006, 11:25
the script itself cannot be made into an eboot, but you could make an eboot to load the script like a normal game.

b8a
August 7th, 2006, 11:35
Could the script code be made into an EBOOT.PBP?Yes. But to my knowledge, the only way to do it is if you already have the full PSPSDK installed. Since PSPSDK setup is one of the biggest hurdles to programming the PSP for a lot of people, you probably shouldn't worry about it (to begin with, anyways). Especially if you're looking into using Lua as opposed to C.

yaustar
August 7th, 2006, 13:13
I am more interested in why do you want to learn Lua in the first place?

bronxbomber92
August 7th, 2006, 14:32
I am more interested in why do you want to learn Lua in the first place?Probably because its a good language to start off with.... It an be very powerful when you know it well... I you goto lua.org and hen select documentation
, you can find a online book for lua, its very useful, but remember its meant for pc lua, so make sure the lua interpreter know everything you leanr in that book ;)

yaustar
August 7th, 2006, 15:33
I find that it isn't the best language to learn. All it is is that it is more accessible for creating PSP programs. It isn't really powerful either, just faster in performence compared to other scripting languages due to its small feature size. If you tried to do any OO in Lua, you know what I mean. There are some really annoying naunces in the language such as the difference copy by value and copy by reference is not seen by the programmer in the syntax.

If you want to learn how to program, I would have chosen Python which is far more powerful then Lua as a programming language and more usable in the real world.

To clarify, the book on Lua.org is for pure/base Lua not 'PC' Lua.

Shadowblind
August 7th, 2006, 15:48
try evilmana.com

yaustar
August 7th, 2006, 16:01
I don't like evilmana's tutorials, they teach you how to use LuaPlayer and not Lua/Programming which is pretty bad for a new/beginning programmer. The standard Lua Wiki or the book would be better. The problem is that Lua was never meant to be a language to learn to program in hence there is little material for beginning programming in Lua. Psp-programming tutorials are a little better for that.

mexicansnake
August 7th, 2006, 16:03
evilmania, lua.org, and this http://wiki.ps2dev.org/psp:lua_player:functions

bronxbomber92
August 7th, 2006, 16:38
evilmania, lua.org, and this http://wiki.ps2dev.org/psp:lua_player:functions
evilmana.com, not evilmania :p

Prasoc
August 7th, 2006, 16:49
thanks for the tuts guys. I started and made a block move around the screen when the d-pad is preesed (it sauks but for a newbie like me it is a good first step ^___^)

bronxbomber92
August 7th, 2006, 17:10
Good job! keep it up and you'll be making games in no time ;)

Thus if way off topic, but I have no choose. I cannot create a new thread or pm anyone, so I have no way to contact an admin or mod about this problem.... Couls someone else notfiy one of them for me? Please and thank you :)

yaustar
August 7th, 2006, 17:28
You have to have at least 10 posts to post PMs.

bronxbomber92
August 7th, 2006, 17:38
ah..... What about threads? Thanks for your help :)

yaustar
August 7th, 2006, 18:13
Seems like a strange problem, do you still want someone to flag it up?