PDA

View Full Version : id: 'we love the PC'

wraggster
August 7th, 2006, 15:32
id Software has opined that videogame piracy is responsible for destroying the PC market, while simultaneously reaffirming its dedication to the platform. Speaking at QuakeCon, Kevin Cloud, a co-owner of id, stated "We're a PC developer, we love the PC. Not just for the game platform itself, but for the community it brings. I just don't think you can get the same thing on a console."

However Cloud admitted it was 'just devastating' when he looked at the number of games that are being pirated, during a 'Fire Away' Q&A session at the QuakeCon 2006 event, reported by our friends on Next-Gen.biz.

Cloud's comments came following a question on the effect piracy has on feature sets and development cycles, in which is was 'noted that retailers, such as Electronics Boutique, had largely stopped carrying PC games'.

Reiterating how much id love the PC, both as a game platform and because of the community that surrounds it - Cloud added that piracy is "the primary reason retailers are moving to the console".

"It's something that's on every PC developer's mind - on how to reduce [piracy]. Because, if you like the PC, you hate to see it fall lower and lower down."

But, on a more positive note, he continued: "The good side of things on the PC market... I don't think the PC market is shrinking at all. I think there're tons of people playing games on the PC. I think World of Warcraft is a good example. The game has a massive audience on the PC".

id's Todd Hollenshead, meanwhile, also chipped in, saying that "the problem that this industry faces above all else is the piracy."

Speaking about the challenge piracy throws up not just for developers and publishers but retailers as well, Hollenshead said the latter group "have to make bets when they buy their game inventory". He added, in a nutshell, that retailers put their money where it's safest - i.e. console.

"This industry is trying to work on that kind of a problem. And it is a very serious problem. There isn't any magical solution, or else we'd solve it", Hollenshead said.

Is piracy really destroying PC gaming as id suggest or is a sea change in gaming occuring, with next gen consoles offering all the performance of traditional PC titles without the constant need to upgrade? Can even Windows Vista rescue the good ol' beige box? Let us know what you think in the comments field below.