PDA

View Full Version : 2.6 UMD Emulation ?

wraggster
August 7th, 2006, 19:23
Ookm has posted on his site that he has got UMD Emulation working on a firmware 2.6 console, he doesnt go into any more specifics on that, but theres some discussion about this being an ISO Loader and if thats true its another Hammerblow to the Homebrew scene and yet another reason for Sony to carry on with their recent actions against the PSP SoftwareWiki but this time go for fresh targets.

Its sad that the Excellent Homebrew Scene is being dragged into warez territory and even sadder that sites are trying to legitimize it.

One thing to note is that when Sony give you a Cease and Decist Order its too late for regret.

dthpsc
August 7th, 2006, 19:40
How many times has this been discussed?...

Kaiser
August 7th, 2006, 19:59
Its been confirmed as an ISO Loader.

jak66
August 7th, 2006, 20:02
even so, doesn't this open up the possability of (UMD only) Devhook for 2.5/2.6

dagger89
August 7th, 2006, 20:06
i thought there was no iso loader talk here?

jak66
August 7th, 2006, 20:08
i guess there are special occasions (like this and the Cease and Decist Order that devhook got)

dagger89
August 7th, 2006, 20:10
0okm just released it....

MikeDX
August 7th, 2006, 20:27
even so, doesn't this open up the possability of (UMD only) Devhook for 2.5/2.6

No because most if not all UMD's already run on 2.6

heinous
August 7th, 2006, 20:44
Yeah this is not too good legally, but now applications and homebrew that only work on 1.5 can be used now on 2.6. This is because of the Devs ability to make his homebrew into a ISO. Now that's not so bad is it?

Bluecat
August 7th, 2006, 20:45
How many times has this been discussed?...

Agreed - This site is still my home page favourite, but I'd like to keep up on all PSP news, whatever the content. No offence intended to Wraggster but can't we just have the news posts and make our own moral judgements?

jak66
August 7th, 2006, 20:46
@MikeDX: actually i meant emulating 2.71 for people who want to degrade but can't, but still want flashplayer

under_0ath777
August 7th, 2006, 20:53
okay it HAS been released....the only way WE can stop the production of this is perma ban all iso talk

QueadlunnRau
August 7th, 2006, 20:54
Totally off the topic, but I like wraggster's new Avatar ... 1Up ...

Sterist
August 7th, 2006, 21:17
damit, stop treating ISOs like their the devil or somethin

its the sharing / trading that's the crime.

i am a proud ISO user, i dumped every UMD i have, and use them w/ my 2gig stick. and im glad i did because the UMD disc cases break really easy, 3 of mine suffered that fate already. still got the game ;)

that said, ISOs are in no way the reason for "cease and desist" order. mind you, that title / quote was just some dramatic label that a newsposter put on.

all that happened was that reboot.bin was included in the .rar with a fix to a wifi-bug-update for devhook. it had nothing to do with ISOs.

NoQuarter
August 7th, 2006, 21:17
Is this is gonna be a way to run homebrew from 2.6 the way we do on 1.5 ?

Sterist
August 7th, 2006, 21:21
damit, stop treating ISOs like their the devil or somethin

its the sharing / trading that's the crime.

i am a proud ISO user, i dumped every UMD i have, and use them w/ my 2gig stick. and im glad i did because the UMD disc cases break really easy, 3 of mine suffered that fate already. still got the game ;)

that said, ISOs are in no way the reason for "cease and desist" order. mind you, that title / quote was just some dramatic label that a newsposter put on.

all that happened was that reboot.bin was included in the .rar with a fix to a wifi-bug-update for devhook. it had nothing to do with ISOs.

n on top of that, booster, the owner of the app, got blamed when it wasnt even him that released that package in the first place.

shadow77
August 7th, 2006, 21:24
Guys..

While ISO loaders may be frowned upon, Sony cannot issue a Cease and Desist order on the basis that a homebrew runs ISO files.

Devhook creator was never issued a Cease and Desist order, the site admin of pspsoftware was because he had a file from the 1.5 firmware dump on his site.

under_0ath777
August 7th, 2006, 21:31
i also run ISOs of games i HAVE purchashed or CURRENTLY own, i rather hold a 6.00mb demo of a iso than swapping UMDs

plus we're going way too off topic now including myself

jwilds73
August 7th, 2006, 21:52
Sony doesn't want homebrew period. If they wanted it or would allow it they would set up a program of submitting your programs to them then they would digitally sign and release it for you or back to you. This would allow legitimate homebrew developers to develop programs and have them run on the latest "secure" firmware. When Sony does this then we can truly say they welcome the homebrew community and are willing to work with and co exist with us. However this will never happen so we will always have a fight ISO loaders or not.

Squidman
August 7th, 2006, 22:24
y wuld u make a ISO loader for 2.60, the only games that require above 2.60 is the downloadable demos, so there is no point in getting an ISO and removing the update to play it, if u can already play all UMD games normally anyways.

But for ppl with alot of games........and actually rip there own games, but don't want to carry all there games around, i guess it's good.....but other than that, no freakn' point

jak66
August 7th, 2006, 22:25
i thought, originally, like back when the psp was in development, homebrew and emulators were gonna be allowed, did ISOs change sonys mind, or was it just cause they gain no profit or something

@squidman: i beleive there are a few games now that need firmware 2.71 (tekken i think was one)

NoQuarter
August 7th, 2006, 22:27
well they do publically allow development on the ps2 with the linux kit of course($200)

corenskae
August 7th, 2006, 22:52
Enough of this holier than thou crap. so it loads isos big f*cking deal. I say take sony for every last cent.

In fact, i wouldn't have even bought a psp if it didnt run warezed isos so sony should be thanking devhook for the extra cash. YES they probably are gaining rather than losing because a) the general populace cant run isos to begin with
b) a lot of the people using pirate games probably wouldn't have bought a psp if they weren't able to do that = gain in profit for sony

NoQuarter
August 7th, 2006, 23:03
It would be nice to use higher firmware without devhook and still maintain all of our homebrew.

heinous
August 7th, 2006, 23:05
Enough of this holier than thou crap. so it loads isos big f*cking deal. I say take sony for every last cent.

In fact, i wouldn't have even bought a psp if it didnt run warezed isos so sony should be thanking devhook for the extra cash. YES they probably are gaining rather than losing because a) the general populace cant run isos to begin with
b) a lot of the people using pirate games probably wouldn't have bought a psp if they weren't able to do that = gain in profit for sony

Actually... People buying PSPs doesn't really help Sony all that much... Sony loses a bunch of money because of that. Would you like a 500$+ PSP. Maybe, but i wouldn't. But i do agree with your first statement.

(I AM NOT AN ISO USER, THIS CAN LOAD HOMEBREW ISOS TO)

(YOU CAN COMPILE EBOOTS TO BE ISOs just fyi)

(Sorry for the CAPS)

NoQuarter
August 7th, 2006, 23:11
Sony will make money on hardware after a certian point in production.It all depends on how quickly production costs go down.They drive production costs down by producing more of the hardware.So in my opinion they're not going to continue to lose money,if they did that would be horrible business planning

ferret45
August 7th, 2006, 23:15
OMFG it can load pirated iso's lets all go crazy.
OMFG MP3 players can load pirated songs lets all go crazy ...... (somehow i think not)

SSaxdude
August 7th, 2006, 23:23
Ok, I know most people here are anti-piracy (more like anti-isos) but I think this is a huge achievement for PSP homebrew. Hopefully 2.6 will also be able to use 2.7+ games that us 1.5 users can use thanks to Dev Hook.

Psphreak
August 7th, 2006, 23:52
I look at this way, with a little more work, we'll probably be able to use emulators in kernal mode under fw 2.xx.

NoQuarter
August 7th, 2006, 23:56
I certainly hope so,it would mean faster web browsing.

MikeDX
August 8th, 2006, 00:08
i am a proud ISO user, i dumped every UMD i have, and use them w/ my 2gig stick.

Really? Ive yet to find anything that will let me dump the umds that i've got. care to let me know what you use?

dthpsc
August 8th, 2006, 00:15
Agreed - This site is still my home page favourite, but I'd like to keep up on all PSP news, whatever the content. No offence intended to Wraggster but can't we just have the news posts and make our own moral judgements?

Amen to that, couldn't have said it better. LOVE this site and wraggster is the sh*t but I can't stand this seeing this kind of post repeated every few days.

OMFG it can load pirated iso's lets all go crazy.
OMFG MP3 players can load pirated songs lets all go crazy ...

lolz :)

NoQuarter
August 8th, 2006, 00:21
MikeDX there are several out there I just don't know if it's cool to discuss them.

heinous
August 8th, 2006, 00:27
MikeDX, have you heard of Google, might wanna check it out. UMD DUMPER that's what it's called. I don't wanna get in trouble for this post, I am not supporting ISOs. Just wanted this guy to be a little less ignorant.

idapimp
August 8th, 2006, 01:04
i wanna know why everyone wants a PS1 emulator sooooo bad and that kind of talk is permitted. because a ps1 emulator uses ISOs. and technically roms are practically the same damn thing. a dump of a copywrited game. but we support emulators. so what i wanna know is why is this anymore illegal.

Pico
August 8th, 2006, 01:16
y wuld u make a ISO loader for 2.60, the only games that require above 2.60 is the downloadable demos, so there is no point in getting an ISO and removing the update to play it, if u can already play all UMD games normally anyways.

But for ppl with alot of games........and actually rip there own games, but don't want to carry all there games around, i guess it's good.....but other than that, no freakn' point

Well the point is kernal access, getting such things require looking at everything posible. Can you remember when people called fanjia a hacking god for much less and where is eloader now. I'd say this could be a bigger delopment than devhook was yet it's been condemed because of how it's come about.

Its sad that the Excellent Homebrew Scene is being dragged into warez territory and even sadder that sites are trying to legitimize it.

One thing to note is that when Sony give you a Cease and Decist Order its too late for regret.

You said the same about devhook but when it was modded for pure umd (like no-one saw that coming) use it was dubiously named as a "legal" version and now you've got sections dedicated to it, yet it's derived (continualy) from a "warez program" (and the funny thing is this site now has the name of a iso loader as a feature. Which could have an effect on the ads, the trivial matter of it being "legal" or not wont mean a thing unless it was made with an official psp dev kit and passed by sony for release).
"Its sad that the Excellent Homebrew Scene" is being subjected to an emotional blackmail of sorts because someone made something that no one else could. Without people like Ookem, Booster and MPH the Homebrew Scene would have ceased to be a long time ago (well about 3-4 months ago), It's nice DCEmu gives credit where its due (real hacking is not and never will be ethical in how it achives it goals, yet you'll be happy to reap the rewards).

corenskae
August 8th, 2006, 01:37
i wanna know why everyone wants a PS1 emulator sooooo bad and that kind of talk is permitted. because a ps1 emulator uses ISOs. and technically roms are practically the same damn thing. a dump of a copywrited game. but we support emulators. so what i wanna know is why is this anymore illegal.

Exactly! its just f@cking hypocrisy

Reficul
August 8th, 2006, 02:49
what the hell is wrong with everyone....

were getting off topic.......this is HUGE!

soon enough someone will just load up the "DEVHOOK" back to 1.5 menu thing then soon enough you'll be able to go to 1.5......everyone just needs to chill and thing of the positives.....

the psp scene is getting stronger......

MikeDX
August 8th, 2006, 03:27
MikeDX, have you heard of Google, might wanna check it out. UMD DUMPER that's what it's called. I don't wanna get in trouble for this post, I am not supporting ISOs. Just wanted this guy to be a little less ignorant.

I've heard of Google, yes thankyou, In fact i've been using it since the late 90's.

Hungry Horace
August 8th, 2006, 03:27

no, the arguement would be that it's different between PSP-ISO's and Emualtor-Roms becasue the emulators are for machines for which games are no longer produced or sold, (and in many cases people play on emualtors games they have owned and paid for already) whereas by downlaoding for free and using PSP-ISO's you are using copyrighted material which is currently for sale, but savng giving up any cash.

i'm not saying anything about my own choices re: isos / roms etc. and to be quite honest, i'm not bothered what anyone else wants to do... people have their own minds and can do what they like.

however, there's no f**king way 'd pay for a "special" Sony-brand-downloadable copy of Horace Goes Skiing to run on my PSP when i have a perfectly good original Tape of this 16k beauty right here! and for me, the argument remains exactly the same with my old PS1 games, which is why i'm not overly-fussed myself about Sony's PS1 emualtor.

on topic, great work imho, if nothing else it's shows how good some coders are at tearing up the PSP!

heinous
August 8th, 2006, 03:33
I've heard of Google, yes thankyou, In fact i've been using it since the late 90's.

I was being sarchastic... Sorry, but yeah stuff like that actualy exists. I just think you should Google things before talking...

nyrtrublue
August 8th, 2006, 03:37
this is terrible sony is just gonna get pissed off when this comes out and then they are gonna tear apart any homebrew they can possibly give a c and d order to i have a bad feeling this is gonna blow up in the face of the homebrew scene

btw tekken has fw 2.6 update in the usa version idk which one you meant

NoQuarter
August 8th, 2006, 03:55
MikeDX,forgive the noobs.

kando
August 8th, 2006, 04:21
its great to see sony get their a$$es handed to them....hell they hand us our a$$es every day in Everquest..../rofl

psiko_scweek
August 8th, 2006, 04:49
*le sigh*...sony getting there asses handed to them? you people REALLY want the PSP to go the way of the Dreamcast huh? lets think for a moment...

if your a game developer and make games right? and you know that every game you make is going to get pirated instead of purchased. You loose a lot of money instead of making a lot of money, are you going to keep making games for that system?hmm..i think not!

think noobs think!

Gene
August 8th, 2006, 05:15
*le sigh*...sony getting there asses handed to them? you people REALLY want the PSP to go the way of the Dreamcast huh? lets think for a moment...

if your a game developer and make games right? and you know that every game you make is going to get pirated instead of purchased. You loose a lot of money instead of making a lot of money, are you going to keep making games for that system?hmm..i think not!

think noobs think!

agreed. i've been trying to say the same thing. for too damn long.

for all those damn noobs that have isos that don't belong to them, in other words not your originally dumped umd or isos downloaded from the internet,
it is considered the same as if you went to your local game store and stole it right off the shelf.
I personally have no problems with people backing up their own ORIGINAL umds, but for all of you goddamn theives out there,

burn in hell

i'm truely sorry for the profanity, i tried to tone it down a bit, but ethically, pirates and thieves piss the hell outa me.

thanx for trying to understand me. :)

kando
August 8th, 2006, 05:25
oh dont get me wrong, im not defending the iso loader...its just good to see sony unable to do anything, as we are in their subscription service game.

those who play EQ will surely crack a smile :)

psiko_scweek
August 8th, 2006, 06:35
oh yeah, and for those who tried to compare the PSP and PSX roms, you really cannot compare them, at all. The PSP is a supported system, meaning, developers are still making games for it, and Sony is still supporting it, now the PSX is a different story, it phased out several years ago, granted they are making a PSX emulator for the PSP. BUT that does not mean they are suddenly going to be a supported system.

tophead420
August 8th, 2006, 07:33
ok all i got to say is good job to the creater for giving Sony one more reason to attack the homebrew scene its people like that , that screw it up for everyone and i wish people would stop with the iso loaders I mean come on for crying out loud quit being a cheap a** and go buy the umd if you want to play it

Sterist
August 8th, 2006, 07:43
Really? Ive yet to find anything that will let me dump the umds that i've got. care to let me know what you use?

fastloader

umd net ripper v0.1a

umd dumper

dax dumper

quote em individually on google n u will get results.

dtothabreezy
August 8th, 2006, 08:00
i used to use isos i admit it but the point is to strong against it i my self would like to do something in the game industry and i would hate it if i didnt make ne money u shouldnt be taking from your favorite devolepers you should give plus it would keep some of those games coming back:cool:

doof69
August 8th, 2006, 11:26
"Here at psp DCEmu we dont condone privacy, but here, have all the information you need on how to load iso's. O and here you go, here is the website where you download it. BUT NO! We do not condone privacy at all!
Its like giving a drug addict/bum, money thinking he will buy himself clothes and somthing to eat. No he will go straight to the local dealer and get himself a fix.

C'mon would you stop the nonsense. You are hypocrites :) sorry but you are

have a nice day

Voltron
August 8th, 2006, 11:27
Well this is best for the TA-082 hardware people I gather. This will no doubt be controversial but I respect the efforts that were put into this.

mr_nick666
August 8th, 2006, 11:56
An impressive breakthrough... :rolleyes: I just hope it doesnt cause the homebrew scene too much hassle :(

Pico
August 8th, 2006, 14:09
An impressive breakthrough... :rolleyes: I just hope it doesnt cause the homebrew scene too much hassle :( Well look at the front page, and you'll only find a handfull of real psp homebrew related articals. I think its that time of the year when everyone just gets lazy, but when was the last real big thing homebrew wise.