PDA

View Full Version : PS3's Smart Back-Compat, PS4 Doesn't Play Discs

wraggster
August 7th, 2006, 19:45
Via Slashdot (http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/07/1718200)

Good news for Sony fans looking forward to the PS3. Eurogamer reports that the system will feature backwards compatibility with memory cards as well as games. From the article:
"An update to Sony's PlayStation 3 website has revealed that you will be able to use older PlayStation memory cards with PlayStation 3 - providing you buy an adapter. An entry in the official PS3 FAQ states: 'To use saved data on a PlayStation 2 memory card, you must copy the data onto a virtual memory card within the hard disk.'"
Microsoft could have really used something like that for the Xbox/360 switchover. Relatedly, Sony is looking ahead ... way ahead, even to their next console. Wired has a piece looking at the future of downloads in the games industry. From that article:
"Microsoft is releasing an HD-DVD drive for the Xbox 360. Both companies are even touting the ability of these new discs to play movies in even higher hi-def. That struggle, however, is ultimately meaningless. 'I'd be amazed if the PlayStation 4 has a physical disc drive,' [Sony's Phil] Harrison says."

NoQuarter
August 7th, 2006, 21:22
With the great memcard capability and streaming via internet we may even see disks altogether go byebye!Looks like sony is learning from homebrew.

Miria
August 8th, 2006, 12:35
ps4 already man dats y sum consoles dnt hav dat much 1st parrty fingy

Mental2k
August 8th, 2006, 22:58
Miria, is english hard for you, please try to use proper english in your posts, so we can understand what on earth you are saying!

No physical disc drive, that will be interesting! I suppose a move to download only content would largely do away with warez, (and unfortunately homebrew) however it' alienate much of their customer base, so i suppose the move would have to be in the direction of memory cards, which is a lot like moving back to cartridges, funny how these things go full circle.

Video_freak
August 9th, 2006, 17:18
I think Miria just typing in "forum lingo" :)
In terms of PS4, I think it's much too early to start spreading rumors about it. :rolleyes:

brainpan
August 9th, 2006, 18:21
I remember some bullcrap PS3 rumors going around right before the PS2 was released. I swear that Sony starts this crap. Just like they started the crap about Saddam importing PS2s to make a super computer. See what happened. Stay away form these rumors! :)