PDA

View Full Version : DSLink - DS Cart Sized Flashcart With microSD Support!

wraggster
August 7th, 2006, 20:31
Well details have been forwarded to me tonight of a new DS Flashcart thats the same size has a normal DS Game, so that means no bootcart etc.

No more details as of yet but screens Via Comments

know any more info then let us know

jbob2k
August 7th, 2006, 20:56
very interested in hearing more, this will be awesome!

fg-54
August 7th, 2006, 21:00
hmmmm....i know i'm gonna sound REALY stupid...but what is a flashcart?

Quay Cur
August 7th, 2006, 21:20
:eek: holyshitiknewthiswasgoingtohappen!!!!!!!!

and i just got a G6 Lite, too. maybe one of my friends will buy it.

@fg-54: dude, check here (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27418)

cloud_952
August 7th, 2006, 21:37
>_> SO AWESOME. Why did they have to finally release a ds flashcart? I've been wanting one for a long time, hoping and wishing they'd make one.

But I guess, in the end, the m3 is a better deal anyway, as it can play GBA games and DS games. It'll have to do some sort of reverse-passthrough to do that on the DS one. ^^; Though, I admit, it would be awesome.

DaMadFiddler
August 7th, 2006, 21:51
Sadly, it looks like it's mostly for playing pirated commercial games. Also important to keep in mind is that, by moving to the DS slot, you can no longer use it to play GBA apps. I think I'll be sticking with my M3 for the time being ;)

However, the compact size is quite respectable if you don't need GBA functionality. Now, if only MicroSD would come down in price....

laval0rd
August 7th, 2006, 22:11
So does this mean a GBA emu has to be ported now?

Mr_Biggs
August 7th, 2006, 22:17
i wouldnt be so sure about losing gba functionality, i mean, if you can run DS games from the GBA slot, why can't it be the other way 'round?

otiks
August 7th, 2006, 22:18
what about battery time, the normal usage of a gbs flashcard can hold about 6/7 hours without the ds superkey in it, so what about this one? i mean in the end its all about the battery run time, what else is the point of having a ds flashcard that can only run for 4 hours

pubjoe
August 7th, 2006, 22:47
i wouldnt be so sure about losing gba functionality, i mean, if you can run DS games from the GBA slot, why can't it be the other way 'round?
I think because then you would need some sort of passthrough device in the GBA slot (exactly the reverse to how we play DS games using the GBA flashcarts).

...Which will probably never be developed because there is no point... Just by a GBA flashcart. Maybe a GBA flashcard could be used in this way with the right software, but again, what's the point - if you had one, you'd just use it for GBA software.

P.S. I wish a company would try to recreate the DS boot-up-menu's graphics for their gui.

Quay Cur
August 7th, 2006, 23:10
...P.S. I wish a company would try to recreate the DS boot-up-menu's graphics for their gui.
I have lofty plans for making several skins for my G6 Lite and that was one of my ideas. If any of them come through I'll be sure to post them

In regard to the GBA thing... Passme's make the DS run DS games from the GBA slot as if it were in the DS slot. Why couldn't this company have a program that would make the DS run GBA roms from the DS slot as if it were in the GBA slot. Hopefully this company has their act together and they'll have something like this.

If this works smoothly, has high game and homebrew compatibility, and can run GBA stuff without emulation I would definitely buy it.

Edit: I don't see how you'd be able to back up your own games, though. Guess you'd still need an M3 Lite or something that works with microSD.

phlegm
August 8th, 2006, 02:50
I don't see how you'd be able to back up your own games, though. Guess you'd still need an M3 Lite or something that works with microSD.

You could probably do it the same way you do backups of GBA games with GBA flashcarts: put the GBA game into the GBA slot, use a cart dumper app (like WRG NDS-GBA Dumper) to copy as much of the rom to RAM as possible, swap your flashcart in, copy that segment from RAM to flashcart, and repeat until you get all of it. It only takes a couple of swaps with 8MB GBA games, so it'd probably be a pain to do for the 60+MB DS roms with only 4MB of RAM (over a dozen swaps), but definitely not impossible, and if some compression is used when storing it in RAM you could cut down on the number of swaps by quite a bit.

pubjoe
August 8th, 2006, 04:00
I have lofty plans for making several skins for my G6 Lite and that was one of my ideas. If any of them come through I'll be sure to post them.
The g6 is skinable???

Quay Cur
August 8th, 2006, 04:53
Dude man yes! G6 offers a program that helps you make your own skins for it. Go here (http://www.handheldsources.com/Download%20G6%20software%203.html) and scroll down to the optional software section. I haven't made one yet because I'm still battling my old Vaio for the high ground (my only new comps are macs), but once that's in working order I'll definitely be making a few. They also refer to this site, Nintenskinz (http://nintenskinz.tehskeen.com/), saying that they have G6 skins. All the skins on there say they're for M3, so I don't know if they would work. There are a few good ones, but a lot of what I would file under Ultra Crap.

ACID
August 8th, 2006, 05:35
So wait a minute is this like the ninjapass. but with a sd mini. This is great because ninjapass is awsome but only holds like 5 games

Quay Cur
August 8th, 2006, 05:37
^ microSD

Kaeruyaki
August 8th, 2006, 06:17
Woot. I hope that this is affordable. I've been looking for a new DS homebrew solution ever since my old version1 DS bit the dust, and I had to buy a lite.
This looks to be the best solution so far for people like me who don't care for GBA homebrew anymore.

gamerremag
August 10th, 2006, 20:07
could someone give me the link for the DSlink please?

Quay Cur
August 10th, 2006, 20:17
http://www.ds-link.net/