PDA

View Full Version : Symbian Guru abandons Symbian for Android

wraggster
July 1st, 2010, 17:00
Mobile industry blogger Ricky Cadden - known as the Symbian Guru on his influential site - is giving up on Symbian and getting an Android handset.
He's explained why on the blog, and let Nokia and Symbian have it with both barrels in the process.
"I can’t continue to support a manufacturer who puts out such craptastic ‘flagships’ as the N97, and who expects me to use services that even most of Nokia’s own employees don’t use," he writes.
"I also can’t continue to support a mobile operating system platform that continually buries itself into oblivion by focusing on ‘openness’ while keeping a blind eye towards the obvious improvements that other open platforms have had for several iterations."
Cadden says that Nokia's N97 was the last straw, slating its buggy launch firmware and hardware issues.

And as for the Symbian Foundation:
"The platform still languishes behind Android in simple features – being able to replace various pieces of the OS at the users’ whim, native threaded SMS/MMS, integrated IM, and a usable app marketplace, among others."
And as a parting shot:
"To Nokia, you guys are losing. Hard. Wake the hell up. Doing the same thing repeatedly while expecting different results is the definition of insanity... To Symbian, if you’d stop shouting about being open, you’d see that you’re losing too. Consumers are leaving and developers are staying away."
Cadden has been one of the most influential pro-Symbian (and pro-Nokia) voices on the blogosphere in recent years. His decision to switch is thus high-profile.
Bloggers with iPhone or Android tunnel vision are routinely rude about Symbian and Nokia. For one of their champions to follow suit could and should worry both.

http://www.mobile-ent.biz/news/37686/Symbian-Guru-blogger-abandons-Symbian-for-Android