PDA

View Full Version : DS Doom Released

wraggster
August 8th, 2006, 18:16
http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/dsdoom1_sml.jpghttp://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/dsdoom2_sml.jpg

The classic game Doom has appeared on the Nintendo DS, heres all the release news:

The coders behind the release are TheChuckster and WinterMute (http://dsdoom.devkitpro.org/)

DSDoom is a port of Doom to the Nintendo DS based off the Prboom source tree because of its purity and portability.

Features
DSDoom loads any Prboom-compatible IWAD file.
Single-player is playable at very smooth framerates.
Multiplayer network play is possible using DS wifi and prboom_server.exe.
Configuration file.
Sound effects work with stereo panning.
Future Plans

Possibly a better net code or music support (would be very difficult though because of the MIDI files DOOM uses).
Touch screen control.

Heres a
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SgItL4LV44

Controls are simple.
Use the directional pad for movement
Hold the X button to sprint
The Y button toggles through your weapon inventory.

The A button fires.

The B button is the "use" key for opening doors, etc.
The R and L buttons allow you to strafe.
The Start button brings up the main menu.
The Select button chooses options in the menus.
Wifi connection
To play online using wifi, you're going to want to have a PC with port 5030 opened/forwarded. Run prboom_server.exe with the number of players specified using the -N command line parameter. There are other parameters for such things as maps and coop; check out the prboom_server documentation. The server waits until the given number of players connect and then the game begins.

Now that you have the server running, you will want to set up the DSes. Make sure that WFC data is set in firmware on the DSes. Next, edit the prboom.cfg file on the card and change the server "name:port" line under misc. You are ready to start. Launch dsdoom.nds and choose the network game option in the initial menu.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments, Excellent Release for the DS Scene

Special thanks to RyanB for emailing me the news :)

-vs-
August 8th, 2006, 20:20
n1n1n1n1!
must be in the root directory, but it works (-with my m3sd)!

CampaKaze
August 8th, 2006, 20:25
OMG! you guys are wicked! that is like freakin sweet! :D cant wait to get it!

basilb
August 8th, 2006, 21:11
touch screen does work in this version! ;)

might want to swap d-pad left n right for shoulder button controls.

Sonict
August 8th, 2006, 21:39
I tried to play this, but it corrupted the memory stick!!!! The weird thing is before I tried to repair it using "chkdsk". All that Windows could see is a zero byte file name "QU" or something to that effect. But in my m3 adapter, it saw it perfectly....

This really sucks for me. :(

Damn!!!!!!!!!!

Sonict

Junixx
August 8th, 2006, 21:48
WOW Very nice!! Online play, GBAMP support (:D) and it is comptible with the shareware wad! very nice release!

now........waiting for quake

basilb
August 8th, 2006, 23:24
has anyone tried the multiplayer yet?

Mr_Biggs
August 9th, 2006, 01:30
This is great! it runs on my M3 SD w/o patching, and i havent found any bugs, aside from the fact that save/load game is still in there. Good stuff!

AtariFreek
August 9th, 2006, 02:37
Freakin Sweet, Just Got My DS Homebrew Compatable, This Should Be A Nice First Homebrew App To Take For A Test Drive!

Ani-Monster
August 9th, 2006, 02:39
I can confirm this works on M3 CF

YAY working doom! Me happy!

although, i personally thing this controll setup would make more sence:

y - run
x - use / door
b - fire
a - weapon scroll

amazing release tho :D :D :D

iceman100
August 9th, 2006, 02:53
um how is it that you get this to run as all there is a white screen.

SSaxdude
August 9th, 2006, 03:06
This might be better than the PSP port of Doom because it has online support.

brennxn
August 9th, 2006, 04:10
iceman1000: Your cart doesn't support gba_nds_fat.

battleroyalex
August 9th, 2006, 05:44
wow this is awesome, only thing I can't get working is the music. I dont hear it on the youtube video either is there support for music?

Junixx
August 9th, 2006, 05:46
wow this is awesome, only thing I can't get working is the music. I dont hear it on the youtube video either is there support for music?

No there is no music support i do not think

GPF
August 9th, 2006, 07:39
No music yet just sound effects, works great on my m3:sd

Troy(GPF)

Ani-Monster
August 9th, 2006, 08:11
i think saving should be a higher priority than music =/

GPF
August 9th, 2006, 14:44

loading and saving worked fine for me on my m3:sd

Junixx
August 9th, 2006, 14:58
Saving and loading works fine on my GBAMP also

Xcliber
August 9th, 2006, 15:01
I confirm that it works perfectly on supercard SD!

actually i haven't tried to save yet.

iball
August 9th, 2006, 15:15
Saving and loading worked fine on my Supercard mini-SD as well.

battleroyalex
August 9th, 2006, 16:02

I saved perfectly on my supercard micro-sd. You must patch it with the moonshell patcher for the micro-sd supercard for it to work correctly.

He said music support might not even happen because their in midi format. Can't he just convert them to mp3 or wav or something? I dont care if its 100mb more doom without the doom music just isn't doom.

-vs-
August 9th, 2006, 17:16
hm saving (btw. loading of the saves) doesn't work on my m3:sd, but only tested doom2 yet, maybe doom1 and the others work completly fine...without music

Junixx
August 9th, 2006, 17:23
Can't he just convert them to mp3 or wav or something? I dont care if its 100mb more doom without the doom music just isn't doom.

They might be able to convert them to a .gsm format then play them that way...the GBA was capable of playing GSM files, so why couldnt the DS, but then i think it would still be needed to be converted to .mp3 first then .gsm. It would be low-quality but the music would still be there....anyway that might not work either so im going to stop rambling on about it

Raekwik11
August 9th, 2006, 19:02
this doesnt work for me. it tells me doom.wad not present.

dancex
August 9th, 2006, 19:03
same wats wrong with it ? i download the doom 1 and 2 wad files put it in.. using supercard SD it says

checkIWAD: IWAD tag / doom.wad n0t present

iball
August 9th, 2006, 19:07
The WAD file(s) have to be in the root of the memory card.

Raekwik11
August 9th, 2006, 19:09
my wad file is in the root of my memory card

iball
August 9th, 2006, 19:22
my wad file is in the root of my memory card
Is it called 'DOOM.WAD'? It needs to be.
And you haven't even begun to list what type of flashcart/adapter you're using or anything like that.

Raekwik11
August 9th, 2006, 19:30
Is it called 'DOOM.WAD'? It needs to be.

thats what was wrong. i just had it named DOOM1.WAD so i renamed it to DOOM.WAD
and now it works on my M3 CF. thanks iball:)

dancex
August 9th, 2006, 19:31
well im using superkey and supercard SD ..
download doom 1 and 2 wad
doom.wad..
does has to be inside a folder or something?

Raekwik11
August 9th, 2006, 19:45
doom.wad..
does has to be inside a folder or something?

no. as iball said just put it on the root of your memory card and name it to 'DOOM.WAD'

dancex
August 9th, 2006, 19:55
thnx it works fine ^^ now

iball
August 9th, 2006, 19:57
I've tested the following registered full version WAD files and if you rename one of them to DOOM.WAD it will work:

TNT.WAD
DOOM2.WAD
ULTIMATEDOOM.WAD
PLUTONIUM.WAD

militarypolice
August 9th, 2006, 21:29
what about other wads f.ex. starwars, quake, half life etc. working on c2doom on n-gage , anybody tested

iball
August 9th, 2006, 22:08
what about other wads f.ex. starwars, quake, half life etc. working on c2doom on n-gage , anybody tested
Nope, feel free to try.
The way they use PRboom though, it will probably run ANY PRboom-compatible WAD though.
Knock yourself out and report back.

battleroyalex
August 9th, 2006, 22:24
I was playing this at work today lol pretty kick ass. For some reason it looks better to me on the ds I dunno why.

iball
August 9th, 2006, 22:41
WHile this is cool, it's nothing compared to playing full-blown Heretic on the DS.
That one has full sound and music.
Ok, I tried a couple of PRboom-compatible WADs and NONE of them worked (Scythe, 2001: A Doom Odessey, FFdoom2).
But I do know that the coders are thinking about slapping in a WAD-select menu:

I suppose I could have a menu like in StellaDS for choosing the IWAD and possibly the PWAD to load. Keep checking SVN for updates.

Ani-Monster
August 10th, 2006, 01:00
Saving works? how? I mean, do u use the option in the doom menu? Because when i try that, i get to the part where u enter what to save it as, and since there isnt a keyboard theres nothing i can enter

basilb
August 10th, 2006, 01:10
irc chan for anyone wanting to try out multiplayer
#doomdsmulti on EFnet

WhiteX
August 10th, 2006, 04:32
Saving works? how? I mean, do u use the option in the doom menu? Because when i try that, i get to the part where u enter what to save it as, and since there isnt a keyboard theres nothing i can enter

press the buttons, some are tied to keystrokes so saving works.

Ani-Monster
August 10th, 2006, 05:03
ok i got it working now -.-;;

go ahead and work on music, the saving DOES work XD

hey i got 1 more question tho; when i copy tnt.wad, doom2.wad or plutonia.wad to my m3, im suposed to re-name it doom.wad, rite? well when i do i get the error "I_Read: read failed: EOF" anyone know what that means?

iball
August 10th, 2006, 07:02
ok i got it working now -.-;;

go ahead and work on music, the saving DOES work XD

hey i got 1 more question tho; when i copy tnt.wad, doom2.wad or plutonia.wad to my m3, im suposed to re-name it doom.wad, rite? well when i do i get the error "I_Read: read failed: EOF" anyone know what that means?
Corrupted WAD files probably.

Ani-Monster
August 10th, 2006, 07:30
Corrupted WAD files probably.

they work on my pc...

iball
August 10th, 2006, 08:37
they work on my pc...
Then you're doing something wrong. I tested all of those WADs on my Supercard mini-SD and they work fine.

Ani-Monster
August 10th, 2006, 09:34
wow ok, i tried renamine it BEFORE i copied it and it work'd... aka; rename it before you copy it to M3 CF

rememberthe8bit
August 10th, 2006, 13:35
WOW Very nice!! Online play, GBAMP support (:D) and it is comptible with the shareware wad! very nice release!

now........waiting for quake

Yea verily unto thee my bretheren (well, the non-plural version of bretheren-- but bretheren sounds better). I'm surprised that it runs on the gbamp at all, considering the full version uses an 11mb WAD. Then again it probably just pages in and out of RAM, 'cause DOOM had to run on a 386. :D Though sometimes there is some lag. (paging?) It would be nice of the DS's 3D could be used as a fast 2D accelerator-ey-type-thing. That would probably kill the lag, but thats assuming that they are already using the 2D hardware. (Are they?)

edit: A pop-up touch-screen keyboard would be nice for saving your game.

trebulator
August 10th, 2006, 13:48
I'm currently using an M3 SD...
I tried installing DSDoom, using the vague instructions it provided, extracting all the files to the root directory, with a doom.wad file. I tried running it... I get a black screen on top and a white one on the bottom. I restarted my M3, then the only folders I was able to see was BACKING, prboom-2.4.4-win32, WADS, and the dsdoom.nds file... thats it! I then put my card in the SD reader and checked the space remaining... it gave me about 24MBs. Then I checked the volume for errors [and set to fix any]... took about 15 seconds and it didn't report any errors. I put it back and nothing changed. I decided to try dsdoom one more time.... same thing happened... only this time when I restarted my M3 my custom skin was gone, and the only thing it shows in the folders was FOUND.000!! I put it back in the SD reader and checked the space again, which was the same, and checked the volume for errors, and once again it reported nothing... but it took about 15 minutes. I checked it again and same damn thing.

Can ANYBODY help me?!? Even if I could recover just half of it I'll be happy! Any tools or software anybody knows that could help me on this?? I really want to recover my saves... I put hundreds and hundreds of hours to the games I've played on this... I don't want them to be in vain.
PLEASE, somebody HELP ME!!

GPF
August 10th, 2006, 15:46
I tried installing DSDoom, using the vague instructions it provided, extracting all the files to the root directory, with a doom.wad file. I tried running it... I get a black screen on top and a white one on the bottom. I restarted my M3, then the only folders I was able to see was BACKING, prboom-2.4.4-win32, WADS, and the dsdoom.nds file... thats it! I then put my card in the SD reader and checked the space remaining... it gave me about 24MBs. Then I checked the volume for errors [and set to fix any]... took about 15 seconds and it didn't report any errors. I put it back and nothing changed. I decided to try dsdoom one more time.... same thing happened... only this time when I restarted my M3 my custom skin was gone, and the only thing it shows in the folders was FOUND.000!! I put it back in the SD reader and checked the space again, which was the same, and checked the volume for errors, and once again it reported nothing... but it took about 15 minutes. I checked it again and same damn thing.

Can ANYBODY help me?!? Even if I could recover just half of it I'll be happy! Any tools or software anybody knows that could help me on this?? I really want to recover my saves... I put hundreds and hundreds of hours to the games I've played on this... I don't want them to be in vain.

probably something wrong with your sd card, when i was betatesting the code during development on my m3:sd and I couldn't get it to work on some noname 512mb card i had, but works fine on a namebrand 1gb card , I think I did see something about formatting the card as FAT32 vs FAT or the other way, seems to resolves some issues with the fatlib.

goodluck
Troy(GPF)

WhiteX
August 10th, 2006, 15:48
Not trying to be a jack ass but that´s why you should backup your savegames, it seems that in some SD cards, DSDooM has a way of screwing with the data, i guess you will have to format your card.

ACID
August 10th, 2006, 16:07
Cant wait for mi supercard lite to arrive so i can play mi nds homebrew

iball
August 10th, 2006, 16:14
That's why I have a crappy Sandisk 2GB mini-SD and a fast-as-hell ATP 150x 2GB mini-SD.
One for playing, one for testing.
Haven't been burned by corruption yet.

trebulator
August 10th, 2006, 17:20
I have an A-Data 150x 1gb SD, which is pretty much perfect on the M3 compatibility list. I formatted my card... this is the first time in my homebrew history [NDS, PSP, GP32] that I had to do something like this, or dealt with savestates being erased. Guess I'll have to make sure I back my stuff up for now on.
After I formatted my card, I tried it again, and it still didn't work [FAT32]. I'm thinking some SD/miniSD cards just aren't compatible with it for some strange reason...

There should definitely be a disclaimer about this since I'm obviously not the only one having this problem.

iball
August 10th, 2006, 18:30
I have an A-Data 150x 1gb SD, which is pretty much perfect on the M3 compatibility list. I formatted my card... this is the first time in my homebrew history [NDS, PSP, GP32] that I had to do something like this, or dealt with savestates being erased. Guess I'll have to make sure I back my stuff up for now on.
After I formatted my card, I tried it again, and it still didn't work [FAT32]. I'm thinking some SD/miniSD cards just aren't compatible with it for some strange reason...

There should definitely be a disclaimer about this since I'm obviously not the only one having this problem.
You're formatting it as FAT32.
Format it as plain-old FAT (FAT16) and try again.

chemical
August 10th, 2006, 19:00

I can't help you with this but downloading stuff on to any device like this can often have problems, you should reguly back everything up on your PC, its the same with other devices, do it as often as possible, ya know, as soon as you make some huge foot forward on a game and want to download something new, back up whats already on there.

I a nut shell, whenever your SD card is plugged into your PC to download something, make sure you back up everything first, its already plugged in, whats the prob?

Just a little tip ;)

GPF
August 11th, 2006, 04:27

There is a disclaimer, "08.07.06 - Site created. A lot of functionality has been implemented in the SVN repository over the past week or so and DSDoom is basically ready to be released for beta testing."

You should always have backups when testing beta software. Not that I haven't been burned by the same issue :)

luckly I ran chkdsk /f on my sd card and the files restored in a something named like file0xx.chk but they were my save files I just had to rename them to the correct name.

Troy(GPF)

cheesypoof5
August 14th, 2006, 18:18
Single player works perfect on my DS. I'm trying to setup a server but it's not working.. When connecting to the default IP adress in the PRBOOM.cfg file, it works and then just recieves packets continuously for eternity (I know it shouldnt work with that IP adress). When I put my IP adress in the CFG file I get a guru meditation error after it says connecting via WFC data. I've forwarded port 5030 and I have the server running.

Bouldurr
August 14th, 2006, 23:29
ok so i downloaded DSdoom and the WAD and renamed it its in the root and when i try to run it the screen freezes. im using a max media player CF. does it not work on it?

simulcara
August 15th, 2006, 03:57
doesnt work on Max Media 4GB Though
or if it does i am doing something wrong

Ellocooliver
August 16th, 2006, 17:11
i have the Max media 4gb and everytime i run it crashes, theres a white screen on the bottom and the top has lines, has anyone made it work or know how to work it on the max media 4gb? thanks.

jmac777
August 16th, 2006, 21:01
Trust me Fellas. Max Media Player is good for three things and these 3 things only....... MUSIC, VIDEOS, and NDS DUMPS (Well maybe four things, it does run NES well =))

I have both a G6 Lite and A Max Media Dock

I use the G6 for homobrew and GBA support and the MMD for Media Files (MEDIA PLAYER>>>>)

K

Try it

MetaLsToRm128
August 16th, 2006, 22:26
ZIm using the G6 lite this game is awesome. Someone should make one with touchscreen controls to aim.

Ellocooliver
August 17th, 2006, 19:50
where do i get the G6 at do local stores sell it, can i run SNES, GENISIS, GBA, and other emulators on this?

UltimateEnd2000
August 18th, 2006, 08:33
Doesn't work with my G6 lite WAHH! I guess what I am going to do is convert the files to .nds.gba and .gbfs.

Meditron
August 18th, 2006, 21:42
anyone able to get the doom1.wad file to work with this? Perhaps I am missing something here but I placed it in the root directory with the rest of the doom files and when I choose to load a single or multiplayer game I receive the error "CheckIWAD: IWAD tag /doom.wad not preset". Any suggestions?

basilb
August 18th, 2006, 22:15
anyone able to get the doom1.wad file to work with this? Perhaps I am missing something here but I placed it in the root directory with the rest of the doom files and when I choose to load a single or multiplayer game I receive the error "CheckIWAD: IWAD tag /doom.wad not preset". Any suggestions?

rename doom1.wad to doom.wad ....sheesh...

lolmasta
August 23rd, 2006, 07:18
Kool, I like it.

anónimo
August 23rd, 2006, 12:27
Thanks to
TheChuckster and WinterMute they have done a nice work.
I have play complett Doom and is fine. I have a question anyone know about the "wad" menu.
So you can take more wad files in to the same directorie.
I have tested with Doom,Doom2,Doom TNT,Plutonia Goldeneye,Half Life,Alien Vendetta and Star Trek wads all works fine. I hope a Menu for different wads is comming.
thx anónimo

iball
August 23rd, 2006, 12:49
Thanks to
TheChuckster and WinterMute they have done a nice work.
I have play complett Doom and is fine. I have a question anyone know about the "wad" menu.
So you can take more wad files in to the same directorie.
I have tested with Doom,Doom2,Doom TNT,Plutonia Goldeneye,Half Life,Alien Vendetta and Star Trek wads all works fine. I hope a Menu for different wads is comming.
thx anónimo
From what I read over on GBADEV they are working on a WAD select menu for a later release.
No timeframe on it though.

Zarigis
August 24th, 2006, 09:27
-sweet-
Can't wait to get some fellow homebrewers together and give multiplayer a try. I think the touch pad could use a little work though, aka have the zero point on the emulated joystick be where you first put down the stylus and not the center of the screen. Aka you put the stylus down anywhere on the screen and you don't turn, but when you move the stylus left you start turning left, as opposed to just putting the stylus on the left side of the touch screen to move left. I doubt i'd use the stylus anyways, but just a thought.

cheesypoof5
August 25th, 2006, 02:40
-sweet-
Can't wait to get some fellow homebrewers together and give multiplayer a try.
Me and another homebrewer DID try it...dsDOOM connected to my IP but sends and recieves packets endlessly. It just won't connect to the server. :mad:
EDIT:Turns out it's just not connecting to my access point VIA WFC data. Yes yes, I've set it up, and I've never had an app not be able to connect with my WFC.

johli06
August 27th, 2006, 10:12
Hello, great game!
I also have an idea for a new game: Zatacka (Achtund die Kurve) Its a wonderful pc game that can be more perfect for ds.
http://www.achtung-die-kurve.com
Here you can try an online remake version of the game (From bottom it was a dos game) Please make a game out of this its just so fun!!!

seriousken
August 28th, 2006, 04:07
do it work on g6 card???
I got a "checkIWAD: IWAD tag /doom.wad not present"

...why!

Munkkillla
August 28th, 2006, 07:56
Me and another homebrewer DID try it...dsDOOM connected to my IP but sends and recieves packets endlessly. It just won't connect to the server.
EDIT:Turns out it's just not connecting to my access point VIA WFC data. Yes yes, I've set it up, and I've never had an app not be able to connect with my WFC.

Forward/open your server port on your router/AP

Greetz

Stormingsoul
August 28th, 2006, 12:15
do it work on g6 card???
I got a "checkIWAD: IWAD tag /doom.wad not present"

...why!

Where'd you exactly put all the files?
What version of DSDOOM?
And did you rename a commercial version or shareware version WAD to doom.wad and place it with the other files?

(please let me know :p, mine always crashed @ intel graph.)

lettuce
August 28th, 2006, 14:47
Cant get this to work on my SD Lite card, have put all the files in the root dir, and renamed the wad file, put still doesnt work, just get the message 'Survived graphics init'. Any suggestions?

Geometris
August 29th, 2006, 03:36
Has anyone been able to get this to work on an m3 with mini sd? My friend and I both can't get ours to work. All we get is "survived graphics init." Then nothing happens.

Reppa
August 29th, 2006, 18:31
Nice work i have a supercard and it work very good, i can play with doom.wad, doom2.wad,ultimate doom.wad, blood.wad, Goldeneye.wad, plutonia.wad and tnt.wad.

I have one .nds for each .wad, just edit with an hexadecimal editor and change the second doom.wad by name of other, just one rule : the filename must have four letter like doom.wad ^^

chemical
August 29th, 2006, 19:07
Nice work i have a supercard and it work very good, i can play with doom.wad, doom2.wad,ultimate doom.wad, blood.wad, Goldeneye.wad, plutonia.wad and tnt.wad.

I have one .nds for each .wad, just edit with an hexadecimal editor and change the second doom.wad by name of other, just one rule : the filename must have four letter like doom.wad ^^

Reppa could you explain this a bit more?, i've never used any editors or even used Doom downloads before, but i'd love to have multiple versions on DS so i dont have to keep swapping what wad i have on my SD

iball
August 29th, 2006, 19:54
Reppa could you explain this a bit more?, i've never used any editors or even used Doom downloads before, but i'd love to have multiple versions on DS so i dont have to keep swapping what wad i have on my SD
Simple. Open up the DSDOOM.NDS in any hex editor and find the DOOM.WAD string as shown in the attached photo. Edit that to something like ULTI.WAD and rename the WAD file itself to ULTI.WAD and then "SAVE AS" the newly-edited DSDOOM.NDS file to something else like ULTI_DOOM.NDS and copy over to flashcart and run.
Make sure the renamed WAD files are in the root of the flashcard. Then when you want to run any other WAD, just select the file you hex-edited to auto-run that particular WAD.
I do wish they would hurry up with a WAD selector though...604k for each .NDS file is kind of a waste.
Don't ask me what hex editor I used, I'm on Mac OS X and used 0xED.

Jesster
August 29th, 2006, 20:38
Cant get this to work on my SD Lite card, have put all the files in the root dir, and renamed the wad file, put still doesnt work, just get the message 'Survived graphics init'. Any suggestions?

I assume you mean Supercard Lite. Did you patch it with the moonshell patcher?

That's one solution. Personally, I just use DSOrganize to rename the WAD files to use whichever one I want. I have:

Doom_Demo.WAD
Doom2.WAD
Doom_MM.WAD
Doom_MM2.WAD
Doom_Icarus.WAD

With the latest build of DSOrganize, renaming these files is very quick and easy (though not quite as quick as having multiple hex-edited dsdoom.nds files I suppose).

-=The Jesster: Gatchaba Goose=-

chemical
August 29th, 2006, 21:36
Simple. Open up the DSDOOM.NDS in any hex editor and find the DOOM.WAD string as shown in the attached photo. Edit that to something like ULTI.WAD and rename the WAD file itself to ULTI.WAD and then "SAVE AS" the newly-edited DSDOOM.NDS file to something else like ULTI_DOOM.NDS and copy over to flashcart and run.
Make sure the renamed WAD files are in the root of the flashcard. Then when you want to run any other WAD, just select the file you hex-edited to auto-run that particular WAD.
I do wish they would hurry up with a WAD selector though...604k for each .NDS file is kind of a waste.
Don't ask me what hex editor I used, I'm on Mac OS X and used 0xED.

Thanks a bunch for that help, its alot easier then I thought!, I downloaded a hex editor thats pretty good, i can access it through the properties bar and edit it in there, then save it :), when searching "doom.wad" the first one I come across has "doom.wad doom1.wad doom2.wad" and some other stuff, then afterwards I find the same "doom.wad" as in your screen, so I take it i just edit the last one and leave the first one, the first one was much earlier and not 78D98.

If I have to change both please lmk.

Thanks again for taking a screen and everything :), and thanks jess for the suggestion.

lettuce
August 30th, 2006, 23:59
I assume you mean Supercard Lite. Did you patch it with the moonshell patcher?

That's one solution. Personally, I just use DSOrganize to rename the WAD files to use whichever one I want. I have:

Doom_Demo.WAD
Doom2.WAD
Doom_MM.WAD
Doom_MM2.WAD
Doom_Icarus.WAD

With the latest build of DSOrganize, renaming these files is very quick and easy (though not quite as quick as having multiple hex-edited dsdoom.nds files I suppose).

No i havent, where do i get the moonshell patcher, and how do i patch it?

Jesster
August 31st, 2006, 20:09
No i havent, where do i get the moonshell patcher, and how do i patch it?

It comes in a zip file with the latest firmware and rom patcher on the supercard site: http://www.supercard.cn

Just run the moonshell patcher program, browse to select your dsdoom.nds file, and click OK.

Geometris
August 31st, 2006, 21:18
Has anyone been able to run DS Doom on a version 3 of the mini sd m3? I can't get mine to work at all!

Bluemercury
September 2nd, 2006, 17:33
Has anyone been able to get this to work on an m3 with mini sd? My friend and I both can't get ours to work. All we get is "survived graphics init." Then nothing happens.

i have the m3 mini sd and its the same for me too.

Geometris
September 3rd, 2006, 05:40
I'm guessing it's from the fatlib on the card itself, but I don't know if there is a way to change that.

Arimasen
September 11th, 2006, 21:28
I also have a M3 with a MiniSD card, and I also get the "Survived graphics init." message, and nothing else. Can there be a fix for this please?

Geometris
September 12th, 2006, 03:16
I think the issue is the bad homebrew support on the m3 itself. The best/only thing we can do right now is to sign that petition in hopes of the company giving out better documentation to developers on how their card works.

Disorder
September 14th, 2006, 05:05
I think I just peed a little...

A.C. Slater
September 18th, 2006, 00:18
when i start the game, it says I_Read: read failed: EOF

what is this problem?

LordArchan
September 18th, 2006, 02:03
any way to force it to work on a MMD? all it does is make the screen go wacky.

SmaMan
September 18th, 2006, 04:45
There's a special version made for MMD on this (http://us.codejunkies.com/mpds/links_games.htm)page. Scroll down a bit and you'll find it.

LordArchan
September 18th, 2006, 19:48
thanks man.

skulkk
September 18th, 2006, 21:00
wicked, i'm impressed, it's so great to play doom on my ds, and it plays nicely. looking forward to better stylus control. If anyone is wondering if they should bother to try this out (it took me a few trys to get it working) - just do it, it's worth it. Cheers and keep up the great work :)

Mourningstar
October 23rd, 2006, 18:39
I cant get this to work on my G6 Lite...

I put all of the files in the root directory and rename the wad, but I always get an error message and a coorrupted cart that i have to reformat.:mad:

kgamer
December 4th, 2006, 14:08
ever could get doomce to work on a pda

hope this emu is a great looking as it does above

would love to see quake!!

thanks

sugarspun58
December 8th, 2006, 14:17
this is ace.... I'm gonna put DSOrganise on my M3 CF card so I can change WAD's. (Found a few doom wads on some old floppies I've had for years)

One question, can you reconfigure the controls?
If so, is it in the game itself, or the config file?

I might mirror the controls similar to MPH....

L1 - Fire
< - Strafe Left
> - Strafe Right
U - Forward
D - Back

Left/Right Touch - Turn Left/Right
Up Touch - Active/Open door

Down Touch - not sure.... might leave unassigned so you don't use it by accident..... or maybe Run, that might work.

I'm not sure where I would to put the weapon buttons tho.

Any ideas?

Thanks

paperinik1967
December 17th, 2006, 19:28
I had a look of the posts, but didn't got the piont ...
I have a Super key and supercard Mini Sd. Usually i use the Super Card software (v. 2.57) to patch, but this time doesn't work... what to do?

Polarbear
January 5th, 2007, 12:14
wooo hooo i finaly got it to work
and it was worth the time i spent trying to find the files i needed and such. its a good game, is there anymore maybe goldeneye? the best n64 game

latoshi
January 5th, 2007, 21:06
:D http://C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Videos\RED VS BLUE\animator_vs_animation_to_go
this is my fantasy girl lol:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

sp4ce
January 5th, 2007, 22:26
Does anybody know when DsDoom will work with 1slot cards, especially Supercard DS One?

regards

error101290
January 15th, 2007, 02:47
Doom runs perfectly on my DS but as soon as I turn it back on it reformats the transflash. Is there a certain way to shut down the DS so it doesn't do this. EX quit game IDK. Im using a super card lite non rumble and a adata 1 GB with a super key thanx please reply

grodriguez
January 15th, 2007, 20:58
Does anyone know where i can find the next to episodes of doom (the shores of hell & inferno) for free? :confused:

BlueSlime
February 4th, 2007, 05:56
is it possible to go online with the precompiled shareware version? I have a G6 so I can only use the precompiled shareware version...unless theres a way to get DS Doom runnin on G6, anyone find a way yet?

nintendofreak103
February 19th, 2007, 22:07
whenever i run it i get the this message:

unable to initialize media devic

i have a m3 ds simply
so can anyone help

gcoe13
February 23rd, 2007, 06:00
ok i have a little problem, i have a max media dock, with doom, runs freaking great except when i pick special items up, it freezes saying "W_getnumforname: dsgetpow not found I_shutdownsound" does anyone know what that means?

XDelusion
March 8th, 2007, 21:55
Can't wait for Touch Screen support!

thejonbell
March 9th, 2007, 20:52
"Check IWAD: IWAD tag /doom.wad not present"

it's in the root. i have the doom1.wad file renamed as doom.wad... anything i'm doing wrong? i have a m3 simply, 1 gig kingston micro sd.

JushinLiger
March 20th, 2007, 13:34
I'm getting the EOF error. I've put the WAD in the root directory, I'm using Supercard SP with Super Key and I've renamed the WAD 'doom.wad'. Whats going wrong?
Cheers

matrixmetroid
April 15th, 2007, 20:47
whenever i run it i get the this message:

unable to initialize media devic

i have a m3 ds simply
so can anyone help

ive got the same problem man

niqquh
April 19th, 2007, 11:41
I'm sorry if this was asked previously, but the thread is too long to sift through..

I have an M3 SD (M3 lite perfect + passcard3 to be precise) with a Sandisk 2gb micro-SD (formatted to FAT32). I got DS Doom to run fine, and I can even save my progress, but whenever I try to load my game, doom just freezes. Is there any way to fix this?

Also, is it possible to enter letters when you type, because I always have to enter some random gibberish when I try to save.

tahtah
May 10th, 2007, 08:30
I have a M3 simply + Sandisk 1.0 gigabyte microSD.
Only Doom doesn't work when I start it up I get an error:

"Check IWAD: IWAD tag / doom.wad not present"

Can someone post the doom.wad that they used for it? Because I really want to play this game :O

miha2911
May 12th, 2007, 16:29
i have G6 card with 4GB and i put all fiels in to NDS folder i also patch doom.nds with DLDi patcher and i have renamed .wad file to doom.wad. What is going on?
"Check IWAD: IWAD tag / doom.wad not present"

F2bnp
May 12th, 2007, 20:13
It won't work on my M3 Simply for me.Instead use this:
http://www.jefklak.com/Guides/Doom-DS

It worked perfectly for me.

miha2911
May 12th, 2007, 21:35
ok i went on this site http://www.jefklak.com/Guides/Doom-DS and dowlouded DS Doom 1.1.0 Binaries cos G6 Card 1.1.0 Binaries cant be dowlouded. than when i run the game i chose game tipe and we have black screen. i didnt forget to rename .wad file and to patch .nds file with DLDI patcher. cya

F2bnp
May 12th, 2007, 21:55
Hmmm,well to tell you the truth I don't have a G6,I only have a M3 Simply,so the only thing to tell you is to try again for the G6 card binaries.

miha2911
May 12th, 2007, 22:21
and where can i find G6 card binaries? cos that link does not work.

miha2911
May 13th, 2007, 15:33
does no body know what is wrong?

Ozzyfreakdude
May 23rd, 2007, 17:56
For me, just says "survived graphics init." and stops. I have an m3 ds simply. any help?

Hyrule_boy
June 2nd, 2007, 18:54
I have extracted the files in the zip file to the root of my R4 and I placed the doom.wad file there to but it says doom.wad not present. I also patched it to R4 but it doesn't make any difference. Does anybody knows what I did wrong?

papayo
June 2nd, 2007, 22:10
I have extracted the files in the zip file to the root of my R4 and I placed the doom.wad file there to but it says doom.wad not present. I also patched it to R4 but it doesn't make any difference. Does anybody knows what I did wrong?
This version doesn't have DLDI support, download the unofficial 1.10 here:

And if you don't like all the files on the root of your memory card, download this:

http://ezflash.sosuke.com/about3737.html

Hyrule_boy
June 3rd, 2007, 00:43
This version doesn't have DLDI support, download the unofficial 1.10 here:

And if you don't like all the files on the root of your memory card, download this:

http://ezflash.sosuke.com/about3737.html
Thanks allot man! I can finaly play Doom on my ds. :thumbup:

Hyrule_boy
June 5th, 2007, 04:01
Why does Doom II not work? when I use the Doom II .wad file(renamed as doom.wad) it shows only some text when I choose standard game and then the screen becomes black! :o

DanTheManMS
June 5th, 2007, 04:35
Because this only emulates Doom and not Doom II perhaps?

Emulate isn't the right word, but I can't think of the right one, so it'll have to do.

Hyrule_boy
June 5th, 2007, 18:35

Emulate isn't the right word, but I can't think of the right one, so it'll have to do.

I understand what you mean but ain't doom II just doom I with new levels and some new enemies and weapons?

zauberer
June 15th, 2007, 08:01
Why does Doom II not work? when I use the Doom II .wad file(renamed as doom.wad) it shows only some text when I choose standard game and then the screen becomes black! :o

I can play it, did you try running the WAD file on your PC? It should work, maybe trying the unofficial DSDoom 1.1.0 might help.

It doesn't emulate, it takes the grapchics, music, background, etc from the WAD archive then put it on screen, just like a code and a compiler.

...but ain't doom II just doom I with new levels and some new enemies and weapons?
Not exactly, but for practical uses yes.

avkid
June 20th, 2007, 21:29
bjhui.k,

mr_pablo
June 26th, 2007, 17:51
im getting the black screen also, using the TNT.wad (renamed to doom.wad and in the root dir) and the unofficial DSDoom 1.10 on an R4card. the binary was also R4 patched.

will just try the other .wads now, but tnt deffo doesnt work =\

randomtornado
July 4th, 2007, 22:30
Is there a version that works for Games n' Music... If not is there EVER going to be one? I swear this pile of garbage was the worst 30$ I've ever spent.

papayo
July 5th, 2007, 08:13
Is there a version that works for Games n' Music... If not is there EVER going to be one? I swear this pile of garbage was the worst 30$ I've ever spent.
Yes :D Most homebrew works now that a DLDI patch has been released!

http://dldi.drunkencoders.com/index.php?title=Datel_Games_%27n%27_Music_%28micro SD%29

randomtornado
July 9th, 2007, 19:14
sweet... how does it work...:confused:

I put the file w/ dsdoom.nds, plutonie.wad (renamed to doom.wad) and all of the files that came with the .nds file all in the root directory... says "unable to initialize media devic, and goes black when I click standard game... wtf

DanTheManMS
July 9th, 2007, 23:38
Did you patch with DLDI?

randomtornado
July 10th, 2007, 15:48
how exactly do you do that??? I thaught the file just needed to be w/ all of the others...

DanTheManMS
July 10th, 2007, 19:26
See the stickied topic at the top of this forum for DLDI patching.

randomtornado
July 10th, 2007, 21:43
Ok, I got it patched w/ the .dldi papayo gave me, but it seams to load averything, but then it goes to a white top screen and a black bottom screen.:confused:

noname1
July 10th, 2007, 22:25
yeahh it worked just drop it right in the root of your ds:thumbup:

randomtornado
July 12th, 2007, 17:26
Well, that is what I did... still a black and white screen

AndreaSpooky
July 12th, 2007, 18:38
Well, that is what I did... still a black and white screen

same here.

i downloaded the vers 1.10, patched the .nds with the win32rclick version, copied all the 1.10 files in the flash.
game starts, then when i choose New Game screen goes black and the console stucks.

did something wrong?

(i have R4chip here)

The_Doom_Marine
July 12th, 2007, 18:46
Same here. I'm using MMD. I patched the .nds file and still it doesn't load.

The_Doom_Marine
July 12th, 2007, 19:00
to get this to work once it goes to the the white (top) screen, and black (bottom) screen. just touch the bottom screen and voila DsDoom starts

AndreaSpooky
July 12th, 2007, 19:09
actually it doesnt go white on mine, just black on both...

The_Doom_Marine
July 12th, 2007, 19:13
Do you have Doom.wad on the root of your DS?

Also do not go into the Setup option. It automatically shuts off the DS.

AndreaSpooky
July 12th, 2007, 19:18
i have doom.wad in the data/doom dir, as the readme says and in the root dir (just in case, lol).
still cant play... i can move the "skull" on the main menu but cant play... it freezes and both screens go black :(

The_Doom_Marine
July 12th, 2007, 19:39
thats weird it works for me

The_Doom_Marine
July 12th, 2007, 19:41
Btw is there any zip files with the DOOM mp3s?

AndreaSpooky
July 12th, 2007, 19:56
its weird, my doom on ds doesnt load up like the one in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE-6BYOUpg8 movie.
the points go as shown in the video, then the bottom screen goes black and so stays till the upper doom menu appears.
may it be due the microsd model i use?
(its a sandisk 2GB)

The_Doom_Marine
July 12th, 2007, 22:07
did you patch it

The_Doom_Marine
July 12th, 2007, 22:12
also what are using like MMD, DS-X, etc

AndreaSpooky
July 12th, 2007, 23:27
i patched the dsdoom.nds with the right-click program.
ive got a new R4 with a Sandisk2GB microsd.

ALFNIM220
July 13th, 2007, 05:43
You have to have the correct wads cause Mine froze like that too until I used the correct wad file
The correct file size for doom.wad is 11.8 MB The correct file size for doom2.wad is 13.9 MB.

randomtornado
July 13th, 2007, 16:22
WHOO HOO!!! It freikin worked! I'm playin the best game ever!

julien148
July 25th, 2007, 00:58
If u get black screen or IOE Error in Doom DS , you probably move or make the the wad file READ ONLY ! Right Click your wad , properties and uncheck the read only. It will work :)

Mike-7
September 19th, 2007, 04:05
any gnm help would rock

Mike-7
September 19th, 2007, 04:05
:confused: :confused: any gnm help would rock

evilmario666
October 9th, 2007, 19:15
hey! i got freedoom working on this! if you dont know what freedoom is go here:

http://freedoom.sourceforge.net/

you can replace your origanal doom (either shareware or full) wads with the freedoom iwad, its way awsome... awsome graphics too....

download here: http://freedoom.sourceforge.net/download/ and simply rename doom2.wad to doom.wad and replace it with the previous doom.wad in the root of your card! (Both games are different however)

just a quick question however, is there any way to have both wad files at the same time and switch between them or like have two doom nds executable files.........??

evilmario666
October 9th, 2007, 19:25
mike have you patched doom with DLDI?

9foxtails
October 9th, 2007, 20:49
doesnt work on my R4

myuusmeow
October 9th, 2007, 23:16
just a quick question however, is there any way to have both wad files at the same time and switch between them or like have two doom nds executable files.........??

http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=13802

This is awesome, just edit the ini file and you can add more wads to a custom menu.

@Above: DLDI patch it and follow the instructions.

ekolimits
October 27th, 2007, 19:12
hey, im having problems with ds doom playing networkplay.
i select network play and it freezes on connection WFC data...
can anyone help?

has anyone even played this online???

Liquiddi
November 14th, 2007, 14:14
For all those who are having black or white screens, make sure you extract all files in root of your memory card, otherwise it won't work.

Up to my question, is it normal to have all teleport, imp fire balls, spheres etc. all pixeled? For example all atmospheres are impossible to regodnize from each other, they are all just some pixel balls. It's quite annoying to have pixeled fire, when shooting to walls or imp shooting some pixel garbage on you. Help?

ubersk8kid
January 22nd, 2008, 00:31
The BEST homebrew! PERIOD! aka I like it :)

Tails Su
April 9th, 2008, 09:55
sorry for the little bump. I'm using m3DS real and I'm also having difficulty's starting this up. Black screen on both screens. The m3 patches its self so that shouldn't be the problem. Also getting errors in quake :(

crookedmouth
April 10th, 2008, 01:43
The newest version has a WAD menu.
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=69762

Shareware Doom for wads, if needed
http://www.doomworld.com/pageofdoom/shareware.html

Custom IWADS that work with DSDOOM
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40083

If you've got the right files in a folder called DSDOOM with the correct wad(try the shareware WAD first. You may have to rename it Doom.wad). Other files needed PRBOOM.CFG,prboom.wad,TRANMAP.DAT(think this is created when you first run dsdoom)

Try putting all the files directly in the Root of your card, a M3 user once said this worked for him.

Tails Su
April 10th, 2008, 08:48
nope, still no luck. Same results. Makes me wonder if it was even worth getting an m3 real

anónimo
April 10th, 2008, 12:56
Go to google write Dsdoom B@ndit now you find a lot
of sites where you can found guides to use DSdoom
with many wads of me. (Counterdoom,Half Life....)

This is the newest DSdoom vs.
You can write 40 Wads in the wadsel.ini

http://www.rbenda.de/wbb2/attachment.php?attachmentid=466

Hope it help You.

B@ndit

andyismcjammer
April 12th, 2008, 06:01
i cant get it working can u help me plz i load it asks what type game i want i go standard and its just to black screens same happens for network arrrrrrrrg and yes i renamed wad file and everything its in the root i have an supercard sd

Pandonetho
April 12th, 2008, 06:17
Does this work with slot-1 devices? I have a CycloDS Evolution and a Supercard lite... But I only have 1 microSD card, and that's for my Cyclo. I just use the Supercard Lite as extra ram, will I still be able to run this? Thanks!

anónimo
April 12th, 2008, 07:38
I have a Supercard CF, SC Lite and SC DS One
and on all 3 cards running it perfectly
Xtra Ram not needed for DSdoom.
The only Homebrew where I know
You need more Ram is Quake from Simon.

B@ndit

@andyismcjammer and Pandonetho
I have send You a PM.

smileyreilly
April 28th, 2008, 21:38
where do i download it?

Hopalongtom
April 29th, 2008, 21:19
where do i download it?

I used his official website! http://www.dsdoom.com/

Remember he hasn't got the music working yet but there's still sound effects! ;)