PDA

View Full Version : Sms Plus for Dreamcast source code Released

wraggster
April 3rd, 2004, 23:31
Pascal has released the source code to his excellent Sms Plus for Dreamcast emulator which for those wondering is the best Master System / Game Gear emulator for the Dreamcast Console. Heres the news from his site:[br][br] I think it's about time for me to give some news, i'm sorry but i've been busy with real life and until now i don't got much time for updating smsplus, combined with the fact that i only received 1 postal card as asked in readme.txt (thanks Donato!). So i decided to release the source code. The code is ugly and not finished,but if u want to take the project seriously, i'll be pleased to help u.[br][br] Sms Plus for Dreamcast source code [br][br]btw, i'm also looking for a new host, banners free, if u can help, leave me a mail using this form. I added a donation section just in case ;) [br][br]Check out Pascals site Here (http://www.pascalorama.com/)

WHurricane16
April 4th, 2004, 16:30
Interesting note on the question if Pascal is planning another official release from a topic on Consolevision (http://www.consolevision.com/forums/YaBB.cgi?board=DC_Discussion&action=display&num=10 81023186):

No release from me planned until now, there's some modification in the source code since 0.1 i added 3d glasses support , use of dma , single game emu, screen adjust showing in game screen rather than a blue screen... all these are not worthing a release for me. but maybe someone will release a binary of current version

wraggster
April 4th, 2004, 18:58
Its a shame he wouldnt release it

Its way better than the other emus

Christuserloeser
April 12th, 2004, 07:09
I also loved SMEG :) but yeah, SMSplus is so damn great!

I really wanna give a helping hand to fininalize SMSplusDC v02, so here's a report about the state of things in SMSplusDC v02, differences between both versions and missing features.

Missing features of SMSplusDC v01

- YAMAHA FM2413 sound support (There are 83 SMS games that support this chip, depending on ROM version or country settings. It sounds really great! This feature should be optional. If enabled a lot of games like Golvelius and many more will support it even without changing country settings)
- 3D games support (pushing Start to choose between 3D and 2D mode isn't possible, Pascal found a solution maybe it's already implemented in the source)
- Autofire feature like NesterDC offers
- Analog control support for games like Alex Kidd BMX or Megumi Rescue

New features of SMSplusDC v02
(early beta, released for testing purposes in late 2003)

- Really nice Slideshow feature (if /SNAP/SMS folder is bigger than 9 Megabyte it won't work properly and DC's laser will start to load every pic for the last twenty or more games - very annoying. This may be because of the limited RAM of the Dreamcast, an intelligent loading routine would be needed to fix this)
- 3D games may work now (untested so far)
- Autoload feature (boot.sms or boot.gg), loads personal settings from VMU
- Screen adjustment displays the game you are running

Other suggestions:

- Increase Audio playback sampling, current state
*NTSC_SAMPLE_RATE : 31440
*PAL_SAMPLE_RATE : 31200 *
- Light Gun support
- Implement Public Domain games like GG Nibbles and Tetracycline v4 to the public release of SMSplusDC v02
- Use an alternative second custom menu (like SuperFamicast) and the ability to switch between both menu systems - this will be useful when GenesisPlusDC is full speed and you'd like to create a Phantasy Star Collection for DC :D

Sweater Fish Deluxe posted the following interesting things at the Pascalorama Message Board:

http://members3.boardhost.com/pastorama/msg/158.html

-----------------
Sweater Fish Deluxe wrote:

I know that Heliophobe, the author of SMEG, had a partially working FM module before he stopped working on SMEG, maybe he'd be willing to share his source on that.

The relative analog is just something needed for proper control in paddle games like Woody Pop and--my favorite--Megumi Rescue.

-----------------

I really hope someone compiles the source of SMSplusDC v02 and gets this great emulator finished

Chris

Skyhawk
April 12th, 2004, 14:20
Wow a great plea Chris. So close to perfection! I can understand the reasons of Pascal quitting, but it is really a shame seeing how far this emu could go. I told him that most of the time when a source is released, no other coder picks it up. But he thought otherwise.

I'm thinking of trying to compile the new source myself, I tried that a long time ago but having almost no clue about Linux, I didn't came far.

wraggster
April 12th, 2004, 20:30
Well i know hes read this topic so hopefully he will see that we love his work and maybe just maybe will have another go :)

Ian_micheal
April 18th, 2004, 13:38
I can compile it with out any problems. I did work with him at christmas. Fm sound would mean frameskip. And slower emulation. Ive been told that smeg is faster due to it emulating the games at Ntsc 60hz Black aura siad that.

But I thougt both were about the same speed. Ive never thought smeg or smsplus were totaly fullspeed. But dam site better then most emulators on dreamcast.

I can understand pascal not releasing it as it's not finshed.

Christuserloeser
April 24th, 2004, 20:08
SMSplusDC v0.1 (In)Compatibility List by Christuserloeser
(4th of Dezember 2003)

game version (UE) unless indicated - errors with SMSplusDC v0.1

-SMS------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alex Kidd BMX Trial - controls won’t work due to missing analog support

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back To The Future 3 - doesn’t start, screen stays black

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bank Panik - controls won't work, missing light gun support

California Games 2 - doesn’t start, screen stays black

Cosmic Spacehead - doesn’t start, screen stays black

Desert Strike - game is paused, it'll display a map, return to the game & it crashes

Dodgeball (J) - just displays some heavy messed up grafx

Dragon – The Bruce Lee Story - sound is a bit odd ?

Flash, The - some minor graphic glitches on startup

Galactic Protector - controls won’t work, needs special analog pad support

Gangster Town - controls won’t work, needs light gun support

Great Icehockey - controls won’t work, needs special analog support “sports pad"

Great Soccer (J) - controls won’t work, needs special analog support “sports pad”

Home Alone - crashes in first stage

James Pond 2 – Robocod - sound is slightly out of tune?

Laser Ghost - playable with pad

Laser Invasion (Lightgun Version) - controls won’t work, missing light gun support

Laser Invasion (Pad Version) - playable with pad

Loletta no Shouzu (J) - doesn’t start, screen stays black

Marksman Shooting - controls won’t work, missing light gun support

Micro Machines - doesn’t start, screen stays black

New Zealand Story, The - sound is too fast? maybe the game doesn’t run in proper speed

Rescue Mission - graphics aren't displayed properly + missing light gun support

Safari Hunt - controls won’t work, missing light gun support

Sangokushi 3 (Korea) - doesn’t start, screen stays black

Shooting Gallery - controls won’t work, missing light gun support

Sports Pad Soccer (J) - controls won’t work...

Star Wars - doesn’t start, screen stays black

Terminator 2 - The Arcade Game - playable with pad

Toto World 3 (Korea) - sound is slightly out of tune ?

Trap Shooting - controls won’t work, missing light gun support

Wanted - controls won’t work, missing light gun support

Woody Pop - controls won’t work, due to missing analog controls

X Men – Mojo World - colors aren’t displayed correctly

Xenon 2 - game is a bit slow ?

Zool - crashes at stage 1

game version (UE) unless indicated - errors with SMSplusDC v0.1

-GG---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chicago Syndicate - game crashes at SEGA screen

Fantastic Dizzy - doesn’t start

Excellent Dizzy - doesn’t start

Micro Machines - doesn’t start

Micro Machines 2 - doesn’t start, shows just a blue screen

Mortal Kombat 2 - crashes after license screen

Pete Sampras Tennis - doesn’t start

Stargate - crashes after acclaim logo

World Series Baseball - doesn’t start

World Series Baseball '95 - doesn’t start

WWF Steel Cage Challenge - displays some graphical errors

Zool - freezes at the beginning of stage 1

*parallel posting* dcemulation.com - dcemu.co.uk :)

Skyhawk
April 24th, 2004, 21:51
Very good! I waited to publish this list on the knowlegde base because I was waiting for the new version, wich maybe solved some game issues. But I think I wait some more now ::) ;)

Christuserloeser
May 5th, 2004, 23:02
the source code released attracted Ian_Micheal and HELIOPHOBE to SMS emulation on DC

so I guess we really have to thank you Pascal :)

I am pretty sure he'll work on SMSplus again, together they'll get this thing finished.

wraggster
May 6th, 2004, 00:14
The Dreamcast scene holds many surprises :)