PDA

View Full Version : Should we tell ppl not to upgrade?

luis_05
August 9th, 2006, 02:42
We all know about the new fw 2.8 sneakiness of sony, what is the best way to tell fellow psp user not to upgrade? Or is it even permitted to post this here? im jsut trying to defeat SONY!! anyone with me? e-mail me

dalejrrocks
August 9th, 2006, 02:48
don't we already do this? but yeah, i agree with the non-upgrading.

SSaxdude
August 9th, 2006, 03:04
I downgraded two other people's PSPs and showed them how awesome 1.5 is. I never had to downgrade because I was never stupid enough to upgrade.

Upgrading is extremely pointless.

Basil Zero
August 9th, 2006, 03:07
well i sure want to upgrade my psp, but currently would not, considering the amount of homebrew applications being made for the psp, and recent upgrades to the GBA emulator

However, i promise u, once i get a laptop, i'll be upgrading my psp, after i buy Valkyrie Profile and Breath of Fire III.

Gene
August 9th, 2006, 03:11
i personolly think sony is a great company, i have never been let down with a single one of their products, and the quality is always there, but recently sony has been almost, scamming its customers, and lying to its loyal product owners. i believe little by little sony is becoming more and more corrupt. i am willing to tell people not to upgade, but i would never tell people not to buy products for sony. because i dont see anything wrong with their products.

i dont think sony is the devil or anything but they usually take things too damn serious and way too damn far. i usually think of it as sonys temper.

sorry i usually get a bit off topic.....my bad....

razorak
August 9th, 2006, 03:12
upgrading would only let more people fall into the merciless hands of $ony... on the contrary, i wanna downgrade but i can't :(

Basil Zero
August 9th, 2006, 03:19
well, since more and more good games are coming out, its hard not to get the urge to upgrade.

razorak
August 9th, 2006, 03:23
that's why patience is neccessay...lol
you've gotta wait for a newer firmware emulation pops and cross your fingers that it's not in conflict with any laws. Temptation would be their game i guess...same as the devil.

SSaxdude
August 9th, 2006, 03:25
Plus Dev Hook can play all games so there is currently no reason to upgrade.

razorak
August 9th, 2006, 03:39
well, since more and more good games are coming out, its hard not to get the urge to upgrade.

Or perhaps u are referring to those on 2.5 and 2.6 who have the TA-082 motherboard (like myself)?

currently only these people are unable to downgrade to 1.5 to use devhook and i'm not too sure that they are any umds that need 2.71

NoQuarter
August 9th, 2006, 03:44
I've downgraded for about 4 people and have always spread the word to not upgrade:)Patience is the key.It sure does seem like sony is becoming more and more like microsoft and that microsoft is actually starting to move in the other direction,albeit slowly.

Basil Zero
August 9th, 2006, 04:04
Well, since i havent been in the homebrew scene for quite a while, was wondering some things about the Dev Hook, like whats the latest version, info about it like is it safe to use, would it brick my psp, and other info, if there's another thread about, care to give me a link to it?

nyrtrublue
August 9th, 2006, 09:03
I tell evryone i know with a psp not to update i show them homebrew only one person i know refuses to listen to me but i put emus on psps for people i gave away some memory sticks ive downgraded for people....Remember friends dont let friends downgrade!

razorak
August 9th, 2006, 09:16
Remember friends dont let friends downgrade!

u mean friends dun let friends upgrade perhaps?

Uruz 6
August 9th, 2006, 10:16
Well, since i havent been in the homebrew scene for quite a while, was wondering some things about the Dev Hook, like whats the latest version, info about it like is it safe to use, would it brick my psp, and other info, if there's another thread about, care to give me a link to it?

I was quite shocked to read in one of your previous posts that you can't play BoF3 because of firmware: that's what DevHook is for!!
Anyway you shoul be able to download it on this site, if not maybe psphacks can help(?), also there is no risk of messing up (read: bricking) your psp since it doesn't write to the flash memory but to the MS instead, so worst case scenario it won't work.
As for the program itself maybe you know but I'll say it anyway: once you start it from your 1.50 psp it will take you to a short menu and past that it will reboot your psp as if a 2.71 (allowing you to play games up to the 2.71 firmware and using all those features like internet explorer), when you're tired of the 2.71 and want to go back simply turn off the psp and then on again and you'll have your 1.50 again (I think newer versions can do away with this but not mine so I've just wrote what I know).
As for how to install it refer to the istructions in the file you download, but if you encounter any problem just leave a post. Latest version should be 0.44 or 0.45 I'm not too sure (I'm using 0.44).
Hope I was helpful :)

dejkirkby
August 9th, 2006, 11:45
I have downgraded 6 pf my friends and families psp's so and installed devhook on them all, so I think I'm doing my bit for spreading the word!

muffinman
August 9th, 2006, 12:54
ive downgraded 8 psps so far.

street fighter 2 over wireless rules :p
so i spread the word.

motz
August 9th, 2006, 13:06
We all know about the new fw 2.8 sneakiness of sony, what is the best way to tell fellow psp user not to upgrade? Or is it even permitted to post this here? im jsut trying to defeat SONY!! anyone with me? e-mail me
I think that its only fair to tell people not to upgrade but I also think we still have to respect Sony as they've brought us many great and enjoyable products - the PS1, PS2, PSP and soon the PS3. The amount of threads for "How do I load ISOs" that we see everyday, you can't blame them for blocking homebrew. :rolleyes:

Edshugeo
August 9th, 2006, 13:43
I tell people not to upgrade if they (still) want to play homebrew. I understand that not everybody's into it, and that's fine.
However, a couple of people I know were kinda interested in purchasing PSPs based on a few of things they saw on mine. When told about firmware updates that might make it impossible to play these programs on newly bought machines, both decided to give it more thought.
They both have yet to buy PSPs.
Good job, Sony!

Video_freak
August 9th, 2006, 15:35
i tell people not to upgrade and to use devhook :)

Mr. Shizzy
August 9th, 2006, 15:57
I downgraded my friends. I definently inform ppl of there options; and explain what homebrew actually is. From there it's there decision. If they want to go the homebrew route, I am willing to help them with anything LEGAL. So far everyone who has seen my PSP has been blown away, and wants one themselves!!! (They also tend to think I'm a genius; which is kind of flattering. lol)

Uruz 6
August 9th, 2006, 16:25
I think that its only fair to tell people not to upgrade but I also think we still have to respect Sony as they've brought us many great and enjoyable products - the PS1, PS2, PSP and soon the PS3. The amount of threads for "How do I load ISOs" that we see everyday, you can't blame them for blocking homebrew. :rolleyes:

What makes sony think they can see everything I do on the net once I've upgraded (firmware 2.80)?
If they want respect they must earn it, that's what I do and I expect no less.