PDA

View Full Version : Interview With BlackAura

DCEmu_Newsposter
April 18th, 2004, 16:39
Today i have a really good Interview with the author of NxDoom, NxQuake and also a Genesis/Megadrive Emulator for the Dreamcast called Genesis Plus.[br][br]Check out the excellent BlackAura Interview (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/blackaura.shtml)

wraggster
April 18th, 2004, 16:41
Ive gotta say what a truly excellent Interview :)

Sounds like a great bloke too :)

DCDayDreamer
April 18th, 2004, 19:21
BlackAura's a complete asset to the scene, and the interview's great, nice one 8).

wraggster
April 18th, 2004, 19:22
Yeah i like big long interviews :)

Christuserloeser
April 19th, 2004, 17:01
Damn, he's only 20 years old :o

Great and very interesting interview!

I like long interviews if they're as interesting as this one :)

I just recompiled my nxDoom disc and it now contains some of the nicest mods available! They all work fine with nxDoom!

wraggster
April 19th, 2004, 20:21
hmm you know i need someone with experiance of Doom mods to post news of new compatible mods that are released :)

/me adds that to the list

Christuserloeser
April 24th, 2004, 00:26
uhm, I am kind a newb to the DOOM mod scene...

I didn't play DOOM for about 5 years or so until I recognized that ports like nxDOOM and DOOMDC exist.

I will have a look with what I can come up with.

At least a Burning FAQ or a best of DOOM-Mods with LINKS or so...

Skyhawk
April 24th, 2004, 01:03
Hehe I did and thought exactly the same as Christuserloeser. First I thought, what? Only 20 years young. Than I find finally some free time to burn the nxDoom disk with those mods. Even included the music packs. Very nice, altough the menu loader could have some polishing.

If it only could have the menu that DoomDC has, that one looks nice!

BlackAura
April 24th, 2004, 10:51
Hehe I did and thought exactly the same as Christuserloeser. First I thought, what? Only 20 years young. Than I find finally some free time to burn the nxDoom disk with those mods. Even included the music packs. Very nice, altough the menu loader could have some polishing.

If it only could have the menu that DoomDC has, that one looks nice!

If that interview had happened three weeks earlier, I would have still been 19.

There's still a few things in nxDoom that need fixing. The modlist needs some work (it's too hard to make the modlist, and it looks ugly), the music needs finishing (needs the ability to play the original MIDI music, and to not crash if a music file doesn't loop), and the saving support needs fixing (because it doesn't work properly).

That modlist is actually the one from the first version of nxDoom, which was released on August 11th, 2002. It, like most of the rest of the nxDoom source code, it a complete mess. I'm afraid to muck around with it too much, in case it breaks.

Christuserloeser
May 1st, 2004, 08:06
Agree with the ModList ;)

About WolfenDoom:

I love to see it running but it I can't go on to the 2nd episode because "Hans Grosse" Boss of Ep1 does NOT drop his key...

Quote:
---------
(org_eng.txt)

This engine is a modified version of Boom version 2.02. Nothing major, just a few minor modifications to recreate the original Wolfenstein as closely as possible. Some of the changes I remember making (I'm hopeless at taking notes) are:

- Hans Grosse drops a gold key when killed just like in the original
- Secret exits and "cast list" code rewritten so all three episodes can be in the one WAD
- New intermissions. The original 320x200 backgrounds from the orginal are included
- Exit messages from the original game reproduced
- The bad guys don't go after each other when they accidentally shoot each other, though those accidental shots still cause damage.
- The two bonus levels (see main text file) play on a continuous loop
- Hitler has two states, armoured and normal, like in the original
- ORIGINAL.WAD and ORIGINAL.DEH load automatically
--------

BlackAura
May 2nd, 2004, 10:42
Err... I actually made some modifications to nxDoom specifically for WolfenDoom, but I never released a nxDoom version of WolfenDoom to take advantage of it...

wraggster
May 2nd, 2004, 10:50
/me looks at Black Aura and says please release :)

NXwolfendoom ;)

WHurricane16
May 2nd, 2004, 17:21
I never realized BA was so young. Mature far beyond his years. ;)

Christuserloeser
May 2nd, 2004, 17:26
Err... I actually made some modifications to nxDoom specifically for WolfenDoom, but I never released a nxDoom version of WolfenDoom to take advantage of it...

??? I know but what I was asking basically was that there are a few modifications to the engine WolfenDoom used (The Original Missions readme file: "org_eng.txt") that may not be supported within nxDoom or the dehacked file!

I've expierenced problems playing WolfenDoom Original Missions by meeting the E1 Boss as he does NOT drop it's key to go on further as it may be using the PC (you'd have to use cheats to go to the next stage/episode)

I don't know much about dehack(ed) at the moment but I guess there's the possibilty to port these changes mentioned in the org_eng.txt to the dehacked file or something...

hope it's more clear what my question was...

Clessy
May 3rd, 2004, 02:57
I always thought he was some old man in his 40's. I mean thats they maturity he carries.

BlackAura
May 3rd, 2004, 06:54
/me looks at Black Aura and says please release :)

NXwolfendoom ;)

If I can find it... Actually, I did a couple of modifications for some other mods to make them work better on nxDoom, but never got around to releasing an nxDoom-specific version, mostly because they take ages to upload on dial-up. However, I worked out that the server the Doom site's on allows you to SSH into it to get a Unix command prompt (the site's running FreeBSD, I think), so I could just do the mods on the server side...

I never realized BA was so young. Mature far beyond his years. ;)

Thanks ;)

BlackAura
May 3rd, 2004, 07:01
(For some reason, it only posted half of this in the first post...)

??? I know but what I was asking basically was that there are a few modifications to the engine WolfenDoom used (The Original Missions readme file: "org_eng.txt") that may not be supported within nxDoom or the dehacked file!

Exactly. nxDoom 2.2 uses an extended version of DeHacked, which make it possible to make any enemy drop any item, among other things, so this bug is fixable using just a modified DeHacked file. I never released the modified DeHacked file though.

I always thought he was some old man in his 40's. I mean thats they maturity he carries.

Oi! Cheeky young whipper-snapper! In my day, young people weren't so rude to... other... young people...

Anyway... I really need to do an update to nxDoom, with a much simpler modlist system, so you can download a pre-prepared mod (maybe as an SBI?), dump it onto the CD, and it'll just work.

Christuserloeser
May 5th, 2004, 21:48
Anyway... I really need to do an update to nxDoom, with a much simpler modlist system, so you can download a pre-prepared mod (maybe as an SBI?), dump it onto the CD, and it'll just work.

Sounds good :)

Maybe you can do a little update for specially for MAX/Freeze's DreamcastScene DDD1 that'll come with every DC order at LikSang?

I knew he asked you some time ago about a nxDoom contribution for DDD1...

Are u still in contact with him?