PDA

View Full Version : What operating system do you use?

NoQuarter
August 9th, 2006, 09:03
Hi everybody, I was just curious about what OS the people around here use.
I personally use slackware linux 10.2.Let me know.

MasterChafed
August 9th, 2006, 10:37
Windows XP wit service pack 2

MrTeressaBond
August 9th, 2006, 12:46
same, Microsoft XP Home Edition upgraded to Service Pack 2.

i personally wish to use Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition with every single update available from Microsoft, thus i will be invincible!

motz
August 9th, 2006, 13:08
Hi everybody, I was just curious about what OS the people around here use.
I personally use slackware linux 10.2.Let me know.
Currently WindowsXP but I would like to try Fedora. :)

Malksta
August 9th, 2006, 13:48
Windows XP Service Pack 2 at the moment but also Windows Vista on my other harddrive

quzar
August 9th, 2006, 14:33
Windows Server 2003 SP1

NoQuarter
August 9th, 2006, 15:11
Motz,I tried fedora and didn't like it much you might want to check out Suse or Debian.Actually Debian was really good, I installed that over the internet:)

Video_freak
August 9th, 2006, 15:18
Windows XP (Home Edition) Service Pack 2

D0N
August 9th, 2006, 15:19
Windows XP Service Pack 2

Accordion
August 9th, 2006, 15:33
Mac OS 10.3.9
cant update due to graphics card and final cut pro issues...

Man
August 9th, 2006, 15:55
i Should be running a mac OS, but unfourtunatly im running windows XP:(

ExcruciationX
August 11th, 2006, 11:42
I use Mac OS X 10.4. On my PC, I am running Mandriva Linux 10.2.

Cooe14
August 11th, 2006, 18:50
Mac OSX 10.4.7.

ACID
August 11th, 2006, 23:28
Windows XP Service Pack 2

Cap'n 1time
August 11th, 2006, 23:45
ubuntu dapper drake (debian under new managment). I used to use slackware all the time! I am just really like debians repository system.

Video_freak
August 11th, 2006, 23:47
i thought more people used linux than this...

NoQuarter
August 12th, 2006, 00:04
I just got ubuntu dapper drake,can't wait to check it out,1timeuser.Yeah debian is really impressive.
I feel like I switch OS's more than I change my clothes:)

stotheamuel
August 12th, 2006, 00:09
ms dos

NoQuarter
August 12th, 2006, 00:38
Hopefully soon more people will use linux, it's free!Copies come with just about every linux magazine,plus you can just download it.I've got a small cd book full of different types.
Knoppix is a great way try it out with no commitment.

BrooksyX
August 12th, 2006, 08:13
I use Win XP Pro SP 2, but occasionally Ill pop in my Knoppix live cd just so I can get the linux experience.

ExcruciationX
August 14th, 2006, 23:15
Hopefully soon more people will use linux...
They will, but it will be in a few years, when Micro$oft finally runs out of money, and everyone will switch to it. It seem's like the common everyday people are too "stupid" to run Linux! I went to a denist's office once, and they where whining about how much the software was costing, and how they might not make it in the long run. So I suggested Linux to them, and they where like "Oh, I've heard that it's really bad, and break's you're computer." So they didn't try it, and the following year, they went bankrupt, and on my last visit there, I kindly reminded them that they could have switched, and saved money. They just gapped at me!

Xiro
August 14th, 2006, 23:35
right now i'm on XP w/ SP2, but i use linux live CD's when i get bored with windows. I like linux, but i couldn't go so far as to partitioning my HDD and installing it or getting rid of windows all together.

BrooksyX
August 15th, 2006, 01:33
Nobody uses linux because nobody supports linux. If game companies and other software making companies only supported linux instead of windows then nobody would use windows and everbody would use linux simple as that. Oh and microsoft is not going to go bankrupt in a few years.

ExcruciationX
August 15th, 2006, 01:45
...Oh and microsoft is not going to go bankrupt in a few years.
I didn't mean like in 5 years, I ment more like decades 10 years, 20 years, etc. Sorry if I was misunderstood.

jman420
August 15th, 2006, 08:02
Windows XP Professional, Service pack 2 :D

dejkirkby
August 15th, 2006, 08:47
Windows XP Home SP2

demondude777
August 15th, 2006, 18:53
I just got a mac mini back in feb...so I have Mac OS10 and Windows XP service pack 2 on the computer.

Video_freak
August 15th, 2006, 18:57
I just got a mac mini back in feb...so I have Mac OS10 and Windows XP service pack 2 on the computer.
I love how Macs now can use Windows at the same time :)

Kramer
August 15th, 2006, 19:01
Windows XP Home SP2

full of damn spyware

Video_freak
August 15th, 2006, 19:05
Windows XP Home SP2

full of damn spyware
lmao. there are spyware removers... :)

Kramer
August 15th, 2006, 19:07
yeah im running it now so far im up to 312 spyware components

Video_freak
August 15th, 2006, 19:08
yeah im running it now so far im up to 312 spyware components
LMAO, are you actually trying to set a record or something :)

Kramer
August 15th, 2006, 19:11
lol this is the first time ive ever run one of these removers and the computer is only like 3years old

Video_freak
August 15th, 2006, 19:12
what software are you using, maybe i should run it. my PC's like 5 years old :eek:

AvengedSevenfold Fan
August 15th, 2006, 19:23
i use windows xp media center edition. ive always used windows, but i wanna try linux

Kramer
August 15th, 2006, 19:26
what software are you using, maybe i should run it. my PC's like 5 years old :eek:

its called xoftspy its meant to be the best

Video_freak
August 15th, 2006, 19:27
its called xoftspy its meant to be the best
kk, thanks for the info ;)

AvengedSevenfold Fan
August 15th, 2006, 19:31
what are the linuk live cd's, and the knoppix cd's? do they just let you use the OS while the cd is in?

Junixx
August 17th, 2006, 23:45
what are the linuk live cd's, and the knoppix cd's? do they just let you use the OS while the cd is in?

Yea it boots off of the CD and lets your run the OS, ive tried Knoppix and Morphix, prolly gonna get Kubuntu soon, im using Windows 2000 Advanced Server, i would switch completly over to Linux but...i havent lol

as for spyware, i havent had any problems at all, using Firefox browser i've never had a problem with adware/spyware, dont even have a adware remover......but now im getting cause now im nervous that i have some...

kochiro
August 18th, 2006, 01:29
I have several available to me, XP Pro, Fedora, OSX...just depends on which machine I want to use. :D

Jay

Crimson_Lotus
August 18th, 2006, 06:22
Since the mass majority of OS users are Windows users (90+% of all OS users) I am surprized to see some macs, although from chatrooms I found some of you are mac users. Of course I am Windows XP, and while G5 Mac users might want to dual boot a Windows platform I have no plans or want to dual boot into a Mac OS.

NoQuarter
August 25th, 2006, 14:19
I just tried out ubuntu,and I don't like it very much.Got kinda used to the command line and ubuntu doesn't boot to command line as default.Not to mention having to sudo for all root tasks.I would rather just login as root.Still haven't found any distro I like better than slackware:)

danw2k4
September 1st, 2006, 14:59
windows xp.

Cap'n 1time
September 1st, 2006, 18:32
I just tried out ubuntu,and I don't like it very much.Got kinda used to the command line and ubuntu doesn't boot to command line as default.Not to mention having to sudo for all root tasks.I would rather just login as root.Still haven't found any distro I like better than slackware:)

ah come on... you can modify it to your likeing. I like the slackware community the best of all. Cool people. Ive read a number of things in this thread that are either wrong or misunderstood.. so I shall bring them up to better your knowledge.

Anyway MS probably wont go bankrupt exactly. They will be forced more and more into the open source world and possibly lose some money though.

Yes, not many game companies produce for linux (although many companies innitially work in linux or unix and later port to windows for the final release). But games arnt everything. much of the software we use for work has either been ported, or recreated in linux. There is in fact software that some people perfer over the windows originals.

Also note that wine and cedega, while no where near perfect, can do a pretty dandy job on some of your favorite games.
Here are a couple of "fully" supported games for cedega
http://cedegawiki.sweetleafstudios.com/wiki/Category:Supported

and yes, cedega can be compiled for free via cvs, but its a pain in the ass. Ive done it myself. take the time and learn.

Skye
September 1st, 2006, 22:29
I use Ubuntu.

Cap'n 1time
September 4th, 2006, 04:39
skye wins.

Cooe14
September 4th, 2006, 05:41
I <3 wine when i am using various forms of linux on my craptastic PC. (that is when I am not using one of my macs).

ßüboni¢ $oñic
September 6th, 2006, 10:10
im using WinXP HE

and let me say the mac os is a rip off gone wrong. we've got those crappy things all thru out our skool and the mouse is one button and see thru. you got this weird icon pop up. u can barely copy paste right. it just feels wrong.

Accordion
September 6th, 2006, 14:40
im using WinXP HE

and let me say the mac os is a rip off gone wrong. we've got those crappy things all thru out our skool and the mouse is one button and see thru. you got this weird icon pop up. u can barely copy paste right. it just feels wrong.

such a shame…

BlueCrab
September 6th, 2006, 19:08
Mac OS X 10.4.7 is what I'm running right now.

On my other computers here, I have Mac OS X 10.4.3 (I haven't used that one in a while), and Debian GNU/Linux 3.1.

im using WinXP HE

You ignore the fact however, that MANY (I'd actually go as far as to say MOST) features in Windows have been ripped off of MacOS and Mac OS X. Remember, the first Macintosh came out in 1984, long before Windows 3.0 (the first real functional version of Windows that even slightly resembles what Windows is today).

NoQuarter
October 6th, 2006, 23:06
Your right CAPTAIN AWESOME,I was just being lazy and not trying to set up Ubuntu since I was just giving it a trial run.
One thing that I did notice was Ubuntu seemed to take alot longer to load some apps on my 500 MHZ POS.
The new Knoppix is in the latest issue of linux magazine can't wait to give that one a run :)

I'm not the most experienced computer user,since I've only been using them a couple of years.I do have more experience with linux than windows though and I certainly know I like it better.