PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft shows off HD DVD drive for Xbox

wraggster
August 9th, 2006, 19:11
Kevin Collins, senior program manager at Microsoft, demonstrated the HD DVD drive, which he said is scheduled to hit store shelves for the upcoming holiday shopping season, to attendees of the DVD Forum here.

The device--about the size of a hardback book--played "The Phantom of the Opera" as Collins pulled up a menu bar to display a few of its navigation and interactive features that can be called up on screen while a movie is playing. Collins said Microsoft's HD DVD drive will be among the least expensive of the HD DVD players, but he declined to disclose the drive's retail price.

"All the audio and video processing is done inside the Xbox," said Collins, who noted that research has shown that a majority of Xbox owners already own high-definition displays. An Xbox drive provides them with all the other equipment they need to watch HD DVD movies, he said.

"This gives consumers choice and keeps their cost down," Collins said

Microsoft has chosen to back the HD DVD format over Blu-ray. Both technologies are vying to replace the DVD format and are represented by consortiums that include electronics makers and Hollywood studios.

Video game machines may prove to be a crucial battleground for the two formats, some observers predict.

In November, Sony's PlayStation 3 is expected to debut equipped with a Blu-ray drive. In contrast to Microsoft's strategy to go with an external drive, PlayStation's drive will be built in.

Screenshots Via Comments

Video_freak
August 9th, 2006, 19:12
Are you kidding me? This thing is almost as big as the XBox itself! :eek: They should have made it internal...:( Any price released?

MasterChafed
August 9th, 2006, 21:01
wow, that just added another 4 inches to the 360. Way to go microsoft, u should have made it atack to the side or sumtin.

markymark1
August 10th, 2006, 10:23
tbh why would you want to ruin your 360 like that?

i hate to say it but ps3 have done the right think and included the player inside.

The only other option i think microsoft could come on top with is if they bring out a new console but just use the hd dvd drive instead of the current one and make it play games as well....obviously this would be more expenisve......and...alot of ppl wud be annoyed as they havent got the better drive & want a new 1! but this is the only way that i think microsoft can absolutely rule sony out on this 1!

SSaxdude
August 10th, 2006, 12:15
I don't care if it does stick out because if I were to buy the add on, I would most likely move my 360 to the basement (with much more space.)

tsurumaru
August 10th, 2006, 13:29
Hmm its bigger than I thought, couldn't they have made it a bit more slimline? Surely HD-DVD's focal length isn't that big!

I also thought that both Blueray and HD-DVD were both backwards compatible with standard DVD's (Just not compatible with each other).

Will we get matching faceplates for the HD-DVD drive? LOL

gimpyjr
August 10th, 2006, 19:25
Are you kidding me? This thing is almost as big as the XBox itself! :eek: They should have made it internal...:( Any price released?

Listen man. They made the drive external so that if HD DVD fails to catch on they can release a Blu Ray drive. And then when the winning format is finally decided whether it be blu ray or HD DVD the users are covered. It's a brilliant strategey actually. And when one of the formats finally catches on they willl probably use it for games too. I know they say they wont but when devs start shying away because of insufficient storage space trust me they will change there tune. Plus microsoft said that the price of the premium console plus the HD DVD drive wouldn't exceed the PS3'S $600 price tag. That means an HD DVD player for $200. :-) I could give two shits about it's size im just happy I made a sound investment in xbox 360.

gimpyjr
August 10th, 2006, 19:39
The whole thing microsoft was saying about not wanting users too feel forced into a new format was complete BS. HD DVD Is completely backwards compatable with DVD so it wouldn't matter if you had a HD or SD TV because either way you would be able too watch your movies. And if the HD DVD drive would have been internal they could have taken advantage of the 45 gigs of storage for games from the get go.

It isn't that they don't want users to feel forced into HD DVD, what's really going on is if HD DVD didn't win the format war microsoft would be caught with their pants down. if blu ray fails sony is screwed if HD DVD fails microsoft can just release a new blu ray drive.

Good old American foward thinking. It's so brilliant.
:-)

gimpyjr
August 10th, 2006, 19:46
what don't you people understand about firmware upgrades. It is so simple. If they want to use the addon for games all they have to do is upgrade the firmware. The addon drive is a great idea all though I would have gone about it differently.

I would have made it HD DVD internal for movies and games (storage capacity) and then I would have made a Blu ray addon drive. They ended up making a mistake not using a next gen DVD format for games but like I said all it takes is a firmware upgrade to fix that.

stotheamuel
August 10th, 2006, 21:27
It isn't that they don't want users to feel forced into HD DVD, what's really going on is if HD DVD didn't win the format war microsoft would be caught with their pants down. if blu ray fails sony is screwed if HD DVD fails microsoft can just release a new blu ray drive.

Good old American foward thinking. It's so brilliant.
:-)

Wow.. do you not think if blu-ray fails.. sony wont just release something....exactly like this?

markymark1
August 10th, 2006, 23:37
I agree with gimpyjr, it shud only be a firmware upgrade to use it, but he also made a point saying to wait until the winning format comes out and then set about developing it into the 360.

either way i really do think microsoft are gona come out on top on this 1! cos sony are just completely relying on the blu ray player succeding and that is the main reason it is so much more expensive!
microsoft in the mean time will have made so many mods and extras that they will have made enuf money to invest in the winning format and not have to increase the price of it so much that ppl start complaining about it(like the ps3 situation)

J sims
August 11th, 2006, 09:31
wow, that just added another 4 inches to the 360. Way to go microsoft, u should have made it atack to the side or sumtin.

I think the Hd dvd player flips on its side just like Xbox 360.

Also if you have ever taken apart any stand alone DVD video burners(not regular players),and External computer DVD burners. You would notice that most of them contain a drive that can actually be installed into 5.25 drive rail on a computer. I am willing to bet money that you would also be able to do the same after a little bit of firmware minipulation and the right hacked drivers. If you are lucky it might just plug in and work. I am also willing to bet that Xbox 360's drive plugs into the USB port in the back and, could possible be plugged into a USB port on a computer.
If you look up Hd DVD in the wikipedia down were it says first releases player, it mentions the toshiba Hd-A1 and HD-XA1 which both have ide HD-DVD drive.
I am also guessing that Microsoft has contracts with a companies to manufacture that drive.If they decide to make it internal in xbox that can also lead to possible modifications.It would probably be cheaper for microsoft to just have the manufacturers who they have contracts with to tool thier machines to manufactures a slighty modified drive that would fit inside the XBOX 360.Since the xbox would have to drivers for it installed you could probabaly use an exploit or chip to install your own Hd-DVD burner kind of like the way they did with the original XBOX(assuming that the homebrew scene is up to par).