PDA

View Full Version : Yet another 'Which flashcart?' thread

dongle
August 9th, 2006, 23:58
Hey everyone,

I'm looking into the homebrew scene and am considering getting a nopass and a flashcart.

Here are my needs:
- gba & ds homebrew & commercial backup compatibility
- no slowdown, able to save to cart and back up the saves to my computer

Optional things that I would like:
- able to be used from linux
- use a standard media so it can be upgraded
- be flush w/ the NDSL

Based on those criteria, it seems like the G6 Lite is my best choice. Do you agree? Are there any exciting things on the horizon that will make the G6 Lite obsolete soon?

Thanks for any input!

pokothehobo
August 10th, 2006, 00:56
i have heard that m3 is coming out with a "lite" version also supercard has a "lite" version to.

dongle
August 10th, 2006, 01:25
I read on the PocketHeaven wiki that the SuperCard is not so good for GBA games....

Quay Cur
August 10th, 2006, 03:31
Go for a G6 Lite or M3 Lite. The M3 Lite should be out soon and uses microSD, so you can upgrade the size (unlike G6 which has 512MB built in).

Both of those will do what you want and have very good compatibility as they are made by the same company. The G6 Lite is also a bit faster because it uses built in flash memory.

The Supercard Lite is always there, but they seem to be just a step below the G6/M3 in quality. I also heard that while it does fit flush it is very very hard to get out of the DSL, guess that's why you can remove the microSD card from the front.

An interesting thing has been anounced a day or two ago, the DS Link (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31617). It's a DS game card sized flashcart that uses microSD. Very cool in concept, but there is a chance that it won't support GBA roms and it may require that you flash your DS. That's all speculation, though, as not much is know right now. I'd keep an eye on this one.

There's also a thing called the Ninjaflash (or pass maybe) that came out recently, but it's extremely small and you really shouldn't bother with it.

Don't know about the Linux thing. I'm sure that none of the companies will ever make a Linux build of their software, so it looks like you'll have to work your Linux magic or just use Windows.

dongle
August 10th, 2006, 06:55
Thanks for the response. I did not know that the M3 was made by the G6 guys.

I saw the DSLink and Ninjapass things, but I had issues with their save mechanisms and lack of GBA support (I'm very interested in the danmaku homebrew for GBA).