PDA

View Full Version : Driving My PSP Around - News from Deniska

wraggster
August 10th, 2006, 02:01
Heres the news we missed a few days ago from Deniska:

http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/bin/drivin.jpg

A little update on my GPS/Mapviewer project..

It is slowly shaping up in to something useful...
I did the first "field testing" of the mapviewer's gps option tonite. The link below points to a small video clip, captured with my casio camera. It is a bit shacky, but it is hard to drive and focus the camera at the same time ;-)

http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/bin/Drivin_with_PSP.wmv
Here is another video - in a daylight.
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/bin/driving_with_PSP2.wmv
I changed the cursor for directional arrow for gps mode... I guess to make it really cool I need to turn the map and not the center arrow ;-)

I still need to patch a number of bugs and build some content before a public release. So please be patient ;-)

PS: PM if you are interested in helping to beta-test the viewer and build content for it (POI, custom maps, tutorials, documentation, etc). I need people who actually built and tested gps link, described in the thread below

Respond to his excellent project at his DCEmu Hosted Site Here --> http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/

DPyro
August 10th, 2006, 02:04
Whats with the jungle music :confused:

NoQuarter
August 10th, 2006, 02:14
Awsome news man,this might be a project for me in the future.I wonder if we can use something similar to this to connect to the internet over a cell phone?

Briggzy11
August 10th, 2006, 03:48
This is really amazing and great for the PSP Scene, perhaps homebrew is not as bad as sony think, they didnt think of this and look how brilliant it may become, great work Deniska

Gene
August 10th, 2006, 05:08
that is pretty amazing. but how does it work? through internet or what?

LampDev
August 10th, 2006, 05:18
I'm just guessing, but I'm fairly certain he downloaded the maps and xml data beforehand, then the GPS centers where you are on the map.

It's really quite cool. However, even the average homebrew user won't be doing the kind of hardware mod necessary for this to work.

I really like the idea, though. I could have used it today when I tried to take a shortcut which led me to the middle of nowhere. :)

Gene
August 10th, 2006, 05:29
how did you get the psp to recognize the gps hardware through the headphone jack?

felonyr301
August 10th, 2006, 05:37
i think he mod the hardware a bit for it to work so its not something anybody can just use right away though.nonetheless it looks cool.

LC_killer
August 10th, 2006, 05:40
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30035 here is how he did it. it is on his dcemu page

ACID
August 10th, 2006, 06:49
Keep it up deniska it looks great.

phosphorous
August 10th, 2006, 07:25
This is very cool and looks promising. Nice to see a good use of the serial port, hardware hacks like this are always impressive!

johnsk
August 10th, 2006, 08:55
Are custom maps necessary? Can commercial maps be also used?

m0dm0use
August 10th, 2006, 08:58
this was slow to deach front page news on decemu the video links don't work they download only 60kb of the files:eek:

The_Ultimate_Eggman
August 10th, 2006, 09:18
MMm anyway you could use the maps off M$ autoroute ???.Great work shaping up niceley.

Datahax
August 10th, 2006, 12:30
Awsome news man,this might be a project for me in the future.I wonder if we can use something similar to this to connect to the internet over a cell phone?

I think that would be a pain in the butt to do since the PSP isn't designed to accept incoming internet connections anywhere but it's wifi. Probably would require a firmware hack or a custom browser that could use the connection.

mr_nick666
August 10th, 2006, 12:38
This is so cool! :D I am utterly impressed by it! (not the music though!) :rolleyes:

pepegomez
August 10th, 2006, 12:51
well. i would be intrested to help builing this for german citys.

you may contact me @ [email protected] (which is MSN)

Porl
August 10th, 2006, 13:08
this looks absolutely great!! Brilliant work! I've been hoping some how someone could get a tomtom style gps thing going on the psp. With its big screen it would be perfect!

Keep it up! :D

Porl''

QueadlunnRau
August 10th, 2006, 13:59
OMG this is sooo tight, nice catchy tune on ur radio on the second vid. ~_^

DragonPimpsta
August 10th, 2006, 15:15
thats awesome, i hope its released before i get my car. and to the guy who first replied THATS NOT JUNGLE MUSIC AHHHHHHH, ROMPE!! ROMPE!! lol j/k

emulating_you
August 11th, 2006, 02:10
hi i just saw ur connection from the other page u made b4 this one and i want to ask pin 1 (GND) and pin 3 (TXD) are the only 2 things i need to connect to the controller to the PSP from the gps system???? if u can, can u post of a better pic of everything u do thank you.

Nasty Nate
August 11th, 2006, 21:51
about that cel phone thing, meybe you could hook up a wireless router to the cel, i have no idea how to do that but itd be sweet