PDA

View Full Version : Tahcoa Racing

Produkt
August 10th, 2006, 03:47
Since the current game is driving me mad... (literaly) I've taken a break from it to work on a little more personal favorite outside the FPS genre... I've got next to nothing in coding experience... the most recent game that I wrote by myself... was 6-7 years ago.. so!

nothing that has to be picked up! but I've been working on this

http://half-there.uni.cc/wip/ship_wip1.gif

Its designed off of my favorite game from when I was younger called Rock and Roll Racing (or Rock Racin as my father called it)

Basic premis fo the game is to make it out on top at the end of 4 laps... and to do so! you have 3 powerups controled by the square triangle and circle.. these are different depending on your vehicle but the basic lineup is

projectile (rocket/lazer blast), mine (Explosive/Drag field: slows victim down), and Booster (only one kind) In "R'nR" you only had so many powerups per lap so every lap all your powerups would be refilled...

your vehicle can blow up... or thrown off the track... which effectivly... is blown up... but! you respawn at the track after demolished (at the last place you were alive/ on the track but! If you have low armor you can cruize around the track and try to find armor packs to repair your vehicle. but for added distraction, there are also mines placed around the track

Wile you may think... OOOHHH Wipeout rippoff... Go play Rock'n Roll Racing on your snes emulator now :P its quite fun! Using that gameplay and my own design...

As for it coming out! I'm going to play around with the KohKae or LTE engine (KohKae preferably if its avalible...) after this coding comp. if I have free time or I cant focus there will be some models and RTD's posted tomarrow

DPyro
August 10th, 2006, 04:40
Sweet, cant wait till then :)

AnonymousTipster
August 10th, 2006, 08:01
Sounds like a nice project, I've played Rock and Roll Racing on the Mega Drive (Genesis) and enjoyed it a lot, so this should be pretty interesting.
Are you planning on doing it with the camera from behind (like wipeout) or from an isometric point of view?

Produkt
August 10th, 2006, 11:37
I dont know, if anything I'd wanna do a 3/4ths topdbown/rear (kind of like mario karts) I think its time fore a little evolution. :D

AnonymousTipster
August 10th, 2006, 12:18
Are you planning on using 3D models and worlds, 2D models in a 3D world, or what?

Produkt
August 10th, 2006, 18:12
Everything 3d (except the UI)

Tracks and stuff would be a model formathopefully a custom or modified/compiled model format. the BSP tree isnt good for racing games, because it ends up getting rather kunky

Produkt
August 11th, 2006, 02:15
as promised... the model!

http://half-there.uni.cc/wip/tahcoa_ship_r3_wip.gif

currently 540 tris expected outcome! 640-650

PSPdemon
August 11th, 2006, 04:17
WOW!

Nice Produkt!

like the ship alot :D

wish you the best bud...... :D

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

Produkt
August 11th, 2006, 10:45
well last night I put the other half on and reduced some tris... model ended up at 531 I believe and I'm not so happy with it... BUT! its not ugly I'm just not entirely fond of it...

I'm going to put the fins on after I get home from work and then I'm gonna start on the next one and texture them all about the same time to keep the style consistant.

AnonymousTipster
August 11th, 2006, 11:59
The important thing is how it will look from behind, and what you can reduce with the textures, for example, the frontside of the engine uses quite a few polygons, when it could be reduced, and use a carefully designed texture to give the look of depth without the polygons.

Produkt
August 11th, 2006, 16:35
I'm actualy thinking of making a PC version aswell :P

All depends

I've reduced the expected tris count a bit

I didnt like the way I had the engine so Its also getting nocked down a tad
should round out at about 500 tris for the base model and about 100 more for the fins

:: EDIT!::

Wahoo! the man body tris count is now 483! and dropping

I'm going to try and keep this ship under 600 tris

Produkt
August 11th, 2006, 16:56
The unwrap will only do half of the model the rest is going to be mirrored to save texture space those side things are for air intake the engine is in the back :P JET ENGINE FTW! :D

the texture for the front and rear of the air intake may be the same..

Produkt
August 11th, 2006, 20:47
Well the mesh is DONE! :D

http://half-there.uni.cc/wip/Tahcoa_ship_r3_wip2.gif
http://half-there.uni.cc/wip/Tahcoa_ship_r3_wip3.gif

DPyro
August 11th, 2006, 20:53
Cool....now make me a tree :D

Produkt
August 11th, 2006, 21:30
I toned it down! it now has only 528 tris :D and when I'm done with the jet flames on the back it should be about 550 tris if I'm lucky