PDA

View Full Version : "Proper" browsers on DCs?

tinstar
April 17th, 2004, 19:15
Hi, I've just stumbled across this site, can anyone here help me please?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but can I buy a modern browser for the DC anywhere? I've been using the Dreamkey browser since it came out in '99 and frankly it's beginning to show it's age. Frequently I'm unable to browse various web pages, shop online or post at forums like this even! I hope this is compatible!

Anyway does such a thing even exist? A disc you can put in your DC that loads up some sort of "Windows" - with higher compatibility, mopre features and ease of use like javascript, java, flash, proper stuff? I have no idea. Is it even legal to do that? I have neer owned a PC in my life, just the DC to go online and that's it. I cannot download anything so would love to know where I can get hold of such a disc? Surely someone has mnaged to "burn" such a thing (that's about the limit of my technical jargon there b the way so go easy on me!).

Thanks if anyone takes the time to respond to this. I'm sure there may still be others nbthe same boat. Though at 4 1/2 years DC web browsing I must be pretty rare even if Id say so myself!

AirRaven
April 17th, 2004, 22:10
4 and a half years??! With Dreamkey??! :o :o :o :o

If you want to surf newer pages with DC, you're out of luck- the latest version of flash you can use on DC is version 3. There is no way that anyone could program a browser like you described on DC, mainly because it'd be too difficult. I suggest getting a PC- you can get a fairly decent PC for quite cheap nowdays. *If you are REALLY desperate, and can get access to a CD writer, go to {Sorry That Browser was a Hacked project and not supported by DCEmu although you ccan chat about it} - it's a browser collection for DC that is probably the best available at the moment. However, I would still say to get a PC if you want to surf newer pages.

How you managed to put up with Dreamkey for so long I don't know- it has to be the worst internet browser I have ever seen!

speud
April 18th, 2004, 02:20
actually, psilocybin dreams is in no way better than dreamkey for browsing the web.
as you mentionned its a browser compil, its core is planetweb 2.6 and it links you to some dreampassports -which is the japanese version of dk basically- hacked differently (and it makes it a lot more buggy than the official one).

dreamkey is actually pretty good for the dc. dk3 is the best dc browser to me, after you used it for a long time you become used to tricks, and javascript codes in the url bar can really improve its capabilities.
make a google search for dreamcast browser group and bookmarklets if you need more infos (but since you use dk for so long i assume you already know about that).

as for the alternative to official browsers there are none at the moment, well there are still some text browsers you can use with dc linux if i recall correctly but thats nothing useful.
a good hope is Jeremy Penner's (*) port of qnx, it allows you to use voyager, which is quite an obsolete browser but could still offer some fresh air and a pretty decent alternative. though there are no recent news about this project as far as i know.
also metafox once said he was planning on making a homebrew browser so people stop using illegal rips of official browsers, but since kos still doesnt offer any easy way to use the modem that could take some time before being released, without mentioning all the other things a browser require.

(*) EDIT: i hope nobody noticed i credited another jeremy not connected to the project at all instead of the actual author before :) sorry about that

wraggster
April 18th, 2004, 11:19
A homebrew Web Browser would be massive for the Dreamcast Scene and something all Dreamcast sites should Support.

Merkoth
April 19th, 2004, 16:29
is it possible to use konkeror / nautilus / something like that with LinuxDC? does it have modem / bba support?
i know that linuxdc is very slow, but...

Phantom
April 19th, 2004, 17:08
I hope that ApM will eventually release his QNX port. I'm not sure how good QNX's Voyager browser is, though. Screenshot: http://www.qnxzone.com/~jeremy/qnxdc/voyager-with-mouse.jpg.

Darksaviour69
April 19th, 2004, 17:31
fame, that my name at the bottom right of the screen ;D its the boob forums

Clessy
April 21st, 2004, 19:03
I still think that project is fake.

BlackAura
April 21st, 2004, 19:34
Why? QNX was designed for low-resource hardware, much of which has far fewer resources than a Dreamcast does. QNX is also highly portable. All he really needs to port is the kernel anyway, and most of the user-level apps will work. What's unbelievable about that?

wraggster
April 21st, 2004, 19:45
Lets hope we see it one day., sounds very interesting.

Although im not 100% sure what QNX is ::)

speud
April 21st, 2004, 20:32
its not fake, if you read apm's post at boob you would have seen he knew what he was talking about. he also talked with cyrus to get some help, so i think if he had try to fool him cyrus would have known it quite fast.

there was some problems regarding the legality of this port, the porter was trying to convince qnx authors to allow him to release his work when finished, though there was nothing officially announced that mentionned a public release.

i too hope it will be publicly released someday.

http://www.qnxzone.com/~jeremy/qnxdc/

wraggster
April 21st, 2004, 20:41
Cyrus is one person you wont fool trust me ;)

Clessy
April 23rd, 2004, 01:58
Ok so its real. But why should we care about if its not coming out. Thats like saying I have this Perfect Xbox emulator but no one will ever play it.

speud
April 23rd, 2004, 02:45
why being so negative?
why not to wait and see?
what about not posting if you have nothing more intelligent to say?

Clessy
April 23rd, 2004, 04:53
why being so negative?
why not to wait and see?
what about not posting if you have nothing more intelligent to say?I guess we could be more positive and hope that it will come out but, wouldnt that be a as foolish as thinking DreamSnes is still in devolopement. I'm only negitive because I base my opinions on the simple truths. Anything I think once we see how the Internet will work on this new NesterDC release will be able to start working on a much better browser for the DC if it connects to a ISP and not directly.

Ian_micheal
April 25th, 2004, 06:04
Look ive been told we now have a ppp part of kos and ip stack working why is there no example showing kos connect to your isp then forward the ip to a sever show me that and i will do a simple homebrew webrowser

wraggster
April 25th, 2004, 11:58
an Homebrew web browser that has an mp3 player on, divx player on and other cool additions would be great for the whole scene.

If people can work together for the greater cause, then who knows whats possible.

Ian_micheal
April 25th, 2004, 12:22
I could do some of it.. We could do all that your asking for.. But ive not been able to get kos to conntect and forword and ip to a server.

speud
April 26th, 2004, 01:02
that would be great ian :)
do you think about making one from scratch or using free libs or existing browser's source?

Ian_micheal
April 26th, 2004, 10:12
Im thinking from the start it would be nothing great at first. Only display txt like the first browsers. I dont have the new version of kos.. but this really intrested me.

Darksaviour69
April 26th, 2004, 14:46
about QNX:
i was having a look at the DCKnowledge base http://gamedev.allusion.net/dckb/ (btw we need to add that to our links). i when to the recent updatespage (last 30 days)Jeremy Penner posted

I am porting QNX to the Dreamcast. As such, I hunger for low-level hardware information. Rawr.

http://www.qnxzone.com/%7Ejeremy/qnxdc/

its good to know that still working on it

Ian_micheal
April 26th, 2004, 14:59
I had a talk with him the browser is not the good amiga voyager version which means it's not all that much better then what we have. If any he told me.

I was hoping it was amiga voyager browser which is still updated but this QNX versions is a sub version based on a really old amiga version pretty basic.

It would be better of course then some from scatch browser i code.