PDA

View Full Version : More About Sega Genesis Collection

wraggster
August 10th, 2006, 18:44
News via PSPFanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2006/08/10/sega-does-what-nintendont-on-your-psp/)

If you're into classic games like me, you're probably eagerly awaiting the Nintendo Wii's Virtual Console feature so that you can play not only some Nintendo games, but some Genesis games as well. For those of you Sony fanboys that'll avoid the Wii like its a smelly grandmother, there's finally an alternative: Sega Genesis Collection, a compliation of nearly thirty Genesis games is heading to the PSP. The disc will not only come loaded with the games, but exclusive interviews and behind-the-scenes footage. PSP owners can rejoice in knowing that an exclusive wireless multiplayer mode is being created just for them. Maybe it'll even support Game Sharing? (I hope so!) Here's the list of games:

Alex Kidd
Altered Beast
Bonanza Bros.
Columns
Comix Zone
Decap Attack
Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco: The Tides of Time
Ecco Jr.
Eternal Champions
Flicky
Gain Ground
Golden Axe
Golden Axe II
Golden Axe III
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III
Phantasy Star IV
Ristar
Shadow Dancer: Secret of Shinobi
Shinobi III
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Super Thunderblade
Sword of Vermillion
Vectorman
Vectorman 2
Virtua Fighter 2

mr_nick666
August 10th, 2006, 18:53
Its a good line up :D Unless they do an emulated link for two player games on the homebrew emulator I may have to purchase this one! :rolleyes:

Hungry Horace
August 10th, 2006, 19:12
Its a good line up :D Unless they do an emulated link for two player games on the homebrew emulator I may have to purchase this one! :rolleyes:

i've not tested it but doesnt DGen 1.6 already do that?

its in the options i'm sure.

there's not one game in that list i'd want.... so i'm stilcking with dgen. even if lotus and desert strike wont work :(

and it's Megadrive not Genesis! heheh

E.J.
August 10th, 2006, 19:33
Hmm, jaja, poor Dgen... (just kidding), what would be very insteresting a Sega Saturn Emu (I can imagine myself playing Radiant Sirvergun... Sweet...) but thinking a little more about the Sat's what-a-mess hardware it doesn't seem very likely....

fistikuffs
August 10th, 2006, 19:35
Are the genesis and the megadrive one and the same?
Wasn't the megadrive 32bit? Please excuse my ignorant noobishness

The_Ultimate_Eggman
August 10th, 2006, 20:09
LOL most of us are or have probably playing this on the gens emu.

MaxSMoke
August 10th, 2006, 20:11
These games are old and should be public domain. None of the original makers are going to see a dime from these releases, it's just vultures trying to pick meat off of old carcasses.

Get an Emulator, it's FREE. It's the best thing you can do with Homebrew. And it encourages investors to invest their money in NEW GAME COMPANIES, making NEW GAMES! Don't buy old game collections, they just hurt new game development.

Datahax
August 10th, 2006, 20:34
Are the genesis and the megadrive one and the same?
Wasn't the megadrive 32bit? Please excuse my ignorant noobishness

Genesis and Megadrive are both the same and both 16 bit. Megadrive was the european/japanese name if I recall correctly.

Don't buy old game collections, they just hurt new game development.

Yes, I'm sure game developers everywhere are going to just start reselling old games and never make any new. :rolleyes:

jaydoo
August 10th, 2006, 21:22
These games are old and should be public domain.

dream on

SteveV2
August 10th, 2006, 21:51
Personally I think it's a bit of a lame lineup.

I mean, where the hell are any of the streets of rage games? Outrun is great too, and the original fifa on the MD is one of their best versions IMO :)

Junior
August 10th, 2006, 22:59
If I can get this cheap in a couple of years, I'd get it, just to play Phantasy Star 4. I know I could just use an emulator. But it just feels better that way.

dtothabreezy
August 10th, 2006, 23:19
i totally forgot about comix zone that game was kick ass

Voltron
August 10th, 2006, 23:20
This is the type of stuff that should have been released a long time ago. Now that homebrew has grown so much, I don't think people will abandon homebrew for this. But then again, a lot of PSP owners probably don't even know what homebrew is.

jaws365
August 11th, 2006, 00:05
Nice line-up indeed. I will buy this one if DGEN doesn´t improve the framerate and sound quickly, and by the looks of the development the last 6 months, it won´t.

Yeah, where is Streets of Rage and FIFA?

Pumped'Up
August 11th, 2006, 00:20
Nice line-up indeed. I will buy this one if DGEN doesn´t improve the framerate and sound quickly, and by the looks of the development the last 6 months, it won´t.

Yeah, where is Streets of Rage and FIFA?
:confused: dude ur joking right? DGEN KICKS ASS!!! It can't get any better - it is already PERFECT imho.

Phineusphule
August 11th, 2006, 04:17
I agree with Voltron. If this and other collections like it had been released in the early stages of the PSP along with newly developed games I think it would have helped the user base for the PSP grow much quicker and perhaps the homebrew/emulation scene would not have become the thorn in Sony's side quite so quickly. About the only people who are probably excited by this are those who can't downgrade. At least Sony seems to be responding to what the consumer wants but it looks to be too little too late.

GobboFett
August 11th, 2006, 06:10
No Sonic 3? No Sonic & Knuckles? No Shining Force II??? FORSHAME!!!

...Still, good if you don't own many SMD games and are a legit homebrew user :D

dupp
August 11th, 2006, 07:44
i've not tested it but doesnt DGen 1.6 already do that?

its in the options i'm sure.

there's not one game in that list i'd want.... so i'm stilcking with dgen. even if lotus and desert strike wont work :(

and it's Megadrive not Genesis! heheh

heheheh..... the sega megadrive is the 8 bit machine and the sega genesis is the 16 bit DUMBA$$

mr_nick666
August 11th, 2006, 08:40
heheheh..... the sega megadrive is the 8 bit machine and the sega genesis is the 16 bit DUMBA$$

Fraid not squiffy! Over here in the UK it was called the Megadrive (which is its proper name!) ;) The 8-bit version was the Master System... dumba$$!?? (lol :p )

Shiaoran
August 11th, 2006, 09:52
RISTAR AND ALTERED BEAST! YEAH! THEY CARE!!! ^^
LOOK AT AVIE, LOOK AT AVIE!! ^^

I still hope that the PS2 Altered Beast gets released in US :(

If anyone have a clue about it drop me a PM, please.

Baboon
August 11th, 2006, 09:57
Fraid not squiffy! Over here in the UK it was called the Megadrive (which is its proper name!) ;) The 8-bit version was the Master System... dumba$$!?? (lol :p )

Yep, I second that! :D

I believe that the only place in the world that it wasnt called 'Megadrive' was in North America ...which was because Sega was unable to secure the legal rights to the 'Megadrive' name in that area.