PDA

View Full Version : Emulators Used In Commercial Games

wraggster
August 10th, 2006, 20:00
The upcoming release of the Sega Genesis Collection for the PSP/PS2 got me thinking about all the Game releases for systems over the years that have used emulators to bring new games to those systems.

Looking back at the Dreamcast we had the Smash Pack which featured a Genesis emulator (Which was later ripped and stuck on a Dreamcast Site) but how many more Classic games releases have featured emulators to bring those classics to new systems.

Anyone know or suspect a Commercial release that features an emulator for any system, answer via the Comments

waco13
August 10th, 2006, 20:51
Chrono Trigger for PSX? Final fantasy for several consoles? Several arcade compilations for multiple consoles. There had to be emulation involved with at least some of those. Luna Silver star story, Ninja Gaiden Black for the Xbox had the NES versions of Ninja Gaiden playable.

Howlinjimbo
August 10th, 2006, 21:03
That Zelda-pack for Gamecube? It contained both of the N64-games and Zelda 1 & 2 for NES.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
August 10th, 2006, 21:08
Anyway to rip these emus from these pack and incorperate your own legaly owned roms ?.Like u could with the gamecube one.

Video_freak
August 10th, 2006, 21:09
what about those NES games they re-released for gba.

Emeriastone
August 10th, 2006, 21:21
...PS1 for psp?

dejkirkby
August 10th, 2006, 21:23
fifa 06 for ps2 contains original fifa

Megaman Fanboy
August 10th, 2006, 22:02
definately rockman dash/ dash 2 for psp as they originally came out for ps1

EverestX
August 10th, 2006, 22:26
Panzar Dragoon Orta has 2 panzar's on it from saturn they run perfect too.

jamesgloucester
August 10th, 2006, 22:34
Doom 1 and 2 in the Collectors Edition of Doom3 on the Xbox?

I know it's not technically an emulator, but the .wad files of the games are on the disk, so the game wad engine is on there.

Also the Sonic Gems collection on PS2.

Apoklepz
August 10th, 2006, 22:43
Megaman and Megaman X collections, and all those games that Capcom is putting into UMD collections...sniff sniff...do I smell CPS1 & 2 emulators in there?...or pehaps MAME?

dongle
August 10th, 2006, 22:46
It's true that Chrono Trigger had a japanese ROM on the disc, but it was just a source of data. The game was ported.

Dahak
August 10th, 2006, 23:00
Tron 2.0 Killer App for the GBA has emulators for Tron and Discs of Tron on it.

William's Arcade Greatest Hits for the PlayStation is emulated.

Galiano
August 10th, 2006, 23:05
re release of broken sword 1 and 2 for pc uses scumm vm to run it on windows xp

scabbard
August 10th, 2006, 23:08
Not usre if it was an emulator, but the pitfall game for the Genesis would allow you to play the old Atari Pitfall!.

PSmonkey
August 10th, 2006, 23:27
Fun ones

Animal Crossing (N64/GCN)
Zelda Bonus Disc
Nes Collection for GBA
Sonic Megacollection <- mention
Capcom Arcade collection (PS2/PSP/XBX)

there are many more but too lazy to think more.

definately rockman dash/ dash 2 for psp as they originally came out for ps1

Nope. Both were ports.

Doom 1 and 2 in the Collectors Edition of Doom3 on the Xbox?

I know it's not technically an emulator, but the .wad files of the games are on the disk, so the game wad engine is on there.

Also the Sonic Gems collection on PS2.

Wads are just a collection of assets (Art, scripts, maps, ...). Doom 1 & 2 were ports, not emulated.

PSmonkey
August 10th, 2006, 23:29
Megaman and Megaman X collections, and all those games that Capcom is putting into UMD collections...sniff sniff...do I smell CPS1 & 2 emulators in there?...or pehaps MAME?

The capcom compilation for PSP do have CPS1 emulators (no cps2 game is on the psp collection) as well as a few others.

The company who developed it has done many comercial emulators for companys (there is a midway collection for psp that has a bunch of arcade games emulated).

iq_132
August 10th, 2006, 23:30
Panzar Dragoon Orta has 2 panzar's on it from saturn they run perfect too.

Port using original sounds, gfx, textures, etc

Animal Crossing (N64/GCN)

The GC version was an upgrade/port of the N64 version, however, the GC version did have a built-in NES emulator. ^^

PSmonkey
August 10th, 2006, 23:34
The GC version was an upgrade/port of the N64 version, however, the GC version did have a built-in NES emulator. ^^

I know it was a port. I was refering to both version as the N64 version as well had a few nes emulated games in it.

Apoklepz
August 10th, 2006, 23:41
The capcom compilation for PSP do have CPS1 emulators (no cps2 game is on the psp collection) as well as a few others.
The company who developed it has done many comercial emulators for companys (there is a midway collection for psp that has a bunch of arcade games emulated).

Well, yeah I didn't mention any CPS2 games but I did have it in mind because they are bringing their Puzzle Fighter game out in a puzzle compilation....and I think their next game collection will have a couple of CPS2 games, but maybe I'm wrong...

Yes, Midway tends to be very quick when it comes to releasing their oldies, so I wouldn't doubt for a second that those games might just be emulated after all.

Thanks for the feedback PSmonkey.:cool:

acn010
August 10th, 2006, 23:43
umm.
ape escape?

Junior
August 10th, 2006, 23:56
I wonder if the emulators used were all original products/software written by the game manufacturers or if they maybe are modified version of readily available open source'd emulators. If that was true they'd get probably in trouble because many open source licenses don't permit commercial use, and others don't permit not including the source code in redistribution when modified.

Voltron
August 11th, 2006, 00:07
This is all very interesting! If it leads to more knowledge or a future exploit, that'd be great.

One can't help but think that this is being done now due to homebrew emulation popularity on the PSP. Now the company's want to make it commercial.

Too late if you ask me!!

vettacossx
August 11th, 2006, 00:27
Sonic Megacollection

no doubt monkey man that was the first thing that came to my mind!!! another one i think that was not mentioned

soul calibur 3 comes with NAMCO museum ;)

SSaxdude
August 11th, 2006, 00:55
I think the Sonic collection must be emulation, because it runs slow on the Gamecube.

waco13
August 11th, 2006, 02:10
I don't know if they count but the Power Base Converter and Super Gameboy.

Pico
August 11th, 2006, 02:29
Anyway to rip these emus from these pack and incorperate your own legaly owned roms ?.Like u could with the gamecube one. Wow, rom piracy just hit a new low.

mog
August 11th, 2006, 03:54
Lol, it would be funny if one of the psp games available at the moment actually has a sort-of ps1 emulator within it to run the game...
I don't think there are any psp games that are exactly like their ps1 version, so there's probably no point even thinking about that.
:confused:
Still though, if the ps1 emu is actually finished and ready at Sony and they are just waiting to release it later... if that is the case, then maybe Sony will let other companies use it to stick an emulated ps1 game on a psp umd.

Time to stop dreaming now and get back to reality... :(
But still - game companies could make/save a lot of extra money if Sony let them do that, and then they just sell it as a standard psp umd game for 30 quid+ :rolleyes:

lucidtraveller
August 11th, 2006, 04:58
in "day of the tentacle" You could play the original "maniac mansion" on commodore 64, i think it was emulation and seems incredibly primitive when it is done (sound comes from "pc speaker")

The Hombrew Hunter
August 11th, 2006, 05:54
In the PocketNES manual, they say something about Jaelco using pocketnes to emulate their old nes games.

chrisrulz555
August 11th, 2006, 06:03
God I wish there was a gba game released on psp using a gba emu that we could rip and run all gba roms full speed :P

GobboFett
August 11th, 2006, 07:22
I think the Sonic collection must be emulation, because it runs slow on the Gamecube.

Yes, the Sonic Mega Collection uses emulation to run, can you imagine how UNBELIVEBLY FAST it would run if the games were played off the GCN/PS2 hardware?

And what do you mean by slow? It runs perfectly fast off my Gamecube, faster than my SMD actually. Maybe you haven't set your cube to 60Hz?

thetree222
August 11th, 2006, 08:40
well, the big use of emulators on a console currently would be playing xbox games on an xbox 360. man, for the most part it runs fine, but then, like five covenant go flying from a grenade and it hits a brick wall, slows down, gathers its brains from the wreckage, and speeds back up. it sucks when you're making a jump, and next thing you know, your face is in the snow at the bottom of the cliff... sorry for the rambling...

Junior
August 11th, 2006, 11:08
in "day of the tentacle" You could play the original "maniac mansion" on commodore 64, i think it was emulation and seems incredibly primitive when it is done (sound comes from "pc speaker")

That is not emulation.

It's simply the PC version of the game. Just so you know, there exist 2 PC versions of the game. EGA Low-res - like the C64, and EGA high-res. When that conversion was made, PC speaker sound was the only sound option available aside from overly expensive addon cards that too few people had installed to be considered for support in the game.

Tzvi
August 12th, 2006, 03:49
I know that Shenmue for the Dreamcast had several emulated arcade games on it. I distinctly remember playing Space Harrier.

Out Run 2 for the XBox has the original Out Run as a hidden game. I assume that this is an emulator, as porting it over wouldn't make much sense.

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time included the original PoP as an unlockable. I have no idea what the source of this version was. It may have been a port, or it could be emulating a console that PoP was released for.

--Tzvi

gxb
August 16th, 2006, 14:06
It is proved by Lonwern and me that the collection of gunstar hero (PS2) used the emu .We have hacked the emu to support other games and found that the compatible was quite poor .Few games could run without sound while most Genesis games could not. The graphic is good(480P).Here are some pictures that we used the emu to support other games.
http://www.czdw.com/upload/forum/2006031210163814.jpg
http://www.czdw.com/upload/forum/2006031210164746.jpg
http://www.czdw.com/upload/forum/2006031210170920.jpg
http://www.czdw.com/upload/forum/2006031210172950.jpg

Here's the original post in Chinese.
http://bbs.a9vg.com/read.php?tid=430238&fpage=&toread=&page=5

NoQuarter
August 16th, 2006, 14:43
Interesting thread!
If companies were using open source software in their emu's this could spell trouble for them,since they would be forced to share their source code or face legal action.

roy5
August 19th, 2006, 01:57
i hope psp hes a ps1 emulator

roy5
August 19th, 2006, 01:58
in fermwear 3.0 or psp2

FrierTuck
August 22nd, 2006, 18:10
what about those arcade games in Shenmue, idk, just a thought