PDA

View Full Version : More mylo deets emerge, Linux is under the hood

wraggster
August 10th, 2006, 23:45
Via Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/10/more-mylo-deets-emerge-linux-is-under-the-hood/)

Now that we've recovered from the initial surprise of Sony's mylo announcement, we're starting to get a few more details on its functionality. Turns out the teeny device is powered by an unspecified version of embedded Linux (possibly from Wind River), with a graphics and application framework provided by Trolltech's Qtopia platform. There's also Java Virtual Machine support, which seems to give homebrewers plenty of options for creating apps for the device -- if Sony hasn't locked things down too tightly. As for that QVGA 2.4-inch screen, Sony is packing in MP4 video support, so ready-to-go videos shouldn't be hard to find. There's also MP3, ATRAC and WMA to round out format support. While the mylo dodges that main Nokia 770 bullet by packing a QWERTY keyboard, Sony's device suffers from a hefty pricetag for its younger target audience, a notable omission of AIM and Windows Live Messenger, and a lack of explicit gaming or 3rd party support. Still, those WiFi and Linux specs hint at a lot of potential, so we're sure that this thing can manage to be a bit more than another Skype handset.

felonyr301
August 10th, 2006, 23:56
expensive man sony needs to hire some new pricing dudes cause from the ps3 price to this man i'll have whatever sony smoking because that has to be some good sh!t.

Voltron
August 11th, 2006, 00:03
Wow, this thing is sounding better & better.

Someone pointed out that this will have Java Virtual Machine support which could allow for some type of homebrew.

Does anyone know what this will cost?

firedragon_jing
August 11th, 2006, 02:51
This apperantly isn't Sony's first attempt on the Mylo
http://www.pencomputing.com/palm/Pen42/sonymylo.jpg

Also, to answer my question, and yours Voltron, here is something I found.

Mylo, short for "my life online," is geared for instant messaging, Web browsing, e-mailing, music playing and photo viewing. Sony says the gadget is scheduled to begin selling in September for about $350.

-CNET NEWS.com

Now I know the specs & features look kick-ass, especially with the addition of Linux, and Skype mobile is awesome, the device itself looks as sexy if not sexier than the PSP, and the potential for great homebrew could be very high, but I told myself anything above $200 is completely unreasonable, and I was looking on spending around only $150, so I will be passing this one until the price goes down. I rather use the money for the PS3 and Wii. Sony needs to get it together and understand the average person can't afford these things :mad:

http://i.n.com.com/i/ne/p/2006/mylo_550x378.jpg
Still, I so want one, the sleek black one :cool:

Video_freak
August 11th, 2006, 03:08
indeed, $350 is a joke. pfffff...:rolleyes:

xiringu
August 11th, 2006, 04:01
what I don't understand is why make another platform?

couldn't they just improve the psp with some add-ons?

a FW change to add Linux, Java, etc, and a well designed keyboard and you've got the Mylo

the psp is a nice piece of hardware and it is used way below its possibilities by Sony.

for all those saying thet piracy is killing the psp...I say, look at this. this is the psp killer. and Sony made it.

I simply don't understand them...???????

firedragon_jing
August 11th, 2006, 04:09
what I don't understand is why make another platform?

couldn't they just improve the psp with some add-ons?

a FW change to add Linux, Java, etc, and a well designed keyboard and you've got the Mylo

the psp is a nice piece of hardware and it is used way below its possibilities by Sony.

for all those saying thet piracy is killing the psp...I say, look at this. this is the psp killer. and Sony made it.

I simply don't understand them...???????This has more memory for programs then the PSP, and too many accessories defeats the portability aspect. They should just combine the two, add a UMD drive in this and add more buttons(L,R,X,[],O,/\) with a better layout, two analog sticks, and keep it near the same size, and you have the PSP most people want hardware and software wise. That would make it worth $350. :cool: :D

xiringu
August 11th, 2006, 04:20
PDAs always had lots of apps with not much memory, like the PSP.

it's always good to add more memory, but I think the psp is able to do whatever the Mylo is supposed to do (surf webs, read emails, etc) without problems.

by the way, I hope somebody gets the linux in Mylo out and make it work on our psps :)

firedragon_jing
August 11th, 2006, 04:29
PDAs always had lots of apps with not much memory, like the PSP.

it's always good to add more memory, but I think the psp is able to do whatever the Mylo is supposed to do (surf webs, read emails, etc) without problems.

by the way, I hope somebody gets the linux in Mylo out and make it work on our psps :)The PSP can already surf the web, and if you go through the web it can read emails, it's just slow and annoying without a keyboard. But you probably already knew that. I just wish the PSP was better at the stuff it does, but homebrew fixes most of that. I still think it's a good idea to combine the two.

NoQuarter
August 11th, 2006, 04:56
Well I'm a little peeved about this,I totally agree with you xiringu.These are all things the psp can do!This has to be why we haven't gotten a keyboard,sony doesn't wan't to defeat the need for their new hardware.
hombrew voip with socom headset?
linux is being worked on for the psp,I'm on the mailing list and have been watching for new psp linux developments.
Not much yet.....
patience,patience,patience

Voltron
August 11th, 2006, 08:49
So $350.00 huh? That is crazy if you ask me. For that price I'd expect at least 2-4GB of internal flash storage.

It looks cool but that price doesn't make it a value.

mr_nick666
August 11th, 2006, 08:57
If someone could make a USB keyboard for the PSP then Im all set :D 350 aint gonna happen!! :eek:

NoQuarter
August 11th, 2006, 09:51
Got that right mr_nick666!!!

rtc0101
August 11th, 2006, 16:31
i was exited to see the mylo and thought it would be kool to carry around psp for gaming and the mylo for vids, movs and messeging but now that i know the price i think sony was high on somethin when the agreed on $350 and i agree its to much for the average person but then again maybe its not aimed at us:(

A Fn NOOB
August 13th, 2006, 07:53
Mylo firmware 1.1 HACKED! w00t!!!