PDA

View Full Version : PSP: Daedalus R7 close (Nintendo 64 Emu for PSP)(by this weekend?)

tsurumaru
August 10th, 2006, 23:59
Update from Strmnnrmn's blog:

www.strmnnrmn.blogspot.com

I've also updated page 4 of my last news post with some Q&A's about R7 taken from the Blog.

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=176549&postcount=32

From StrmnNrmn:

'I'm getting close to finishing everything I want to get into R7. I've just spent a little time tidying up a few loose ends (little things like the way screenshots are handled). The one last substantial bit of work I want to get done is support for custom controller configs. I think this should be a few hours work, so I expect I'll finish this sometime on Saturday or Sunday, with a release following shortly afterwards.'

jimmi
August 11th, 2006, 00:57
some time in the future i know this will be a full speed n64 emu... keep goin dude !!!u rawk!!

felonyr301
August 11th, 2006, 01:46
yea cant wait to try it out..

SSaxdude
August 11th, 2006, 02:04
I came here right now just to see if R7 was released. Oh well, just a couple of more days. I know StrmnNrmn is a good coder, so it's worth it.

felonyr301
August 11th, 2006, 02:27
first thing im going to try is zelda both zeldas i mean and then mario ohh man im just yapping away basically cant wait.lol

Video_freak
August 11th, 2006, 02:30
thanks for the update StrmnNrmn. dont ever give up :)

fistikuffs
August 11th, 2006, 03:09
Can't wait to get my hands on this:D :D

pkmaximum
August 11th, 2006, 03:49
Wow I bet Mario 64 will actually be playable with out sound by R7 because R6 was almost remoteley playable for Mario 64 ^_^

Cooe14
August 11th, 2006, 03:59
are you shitting me? admins please block his ip. this is like the 6th thread i've seen spammed by hime :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
What are you talking about?

felonyr301
August 11th, 2006, 04:13
is he talking to me???

NoQuarter
August 11th, 2006, 04:36
Strmnmrmn one day this may be the best emu for psp!keep on trukkin.

SnoopKatt
August 11th, 2006, 05:31
Can't wait for the release :)

ACID
August 11th, 2006, 05:41
are you shitting me? admins please block his ip. this is like the 6th thread i've seen spammed by hime :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Who or what are you talking about.

Oh by the way this is great news cant wait for this new release.

Kramer
August 11th, 2006, 05:44
Who or what are you talking about.

Oh by the way this is great news cant wait for this new release.

the post he is talking about got deleted

ACID
August 11th, 2006, 05:56
That makes more sence cause i know video freak is a good guy and isnt crazy. So i was worry he was loosing it. LOL Thanks Kramer

Kramer
August 11th, 2006, 06:12
lol yeah some dick spammed up all the threads

Video_freak
August 11th, 2006, 06:22
yah sorry about that guys :o i was just REALLY getting pissed off (over 10-15) spammed threads. thank god they removed it... sorry if anyone thought i was insulting them or something.

YourStillWithMe
August 11th, 2006, 06:47
This release seems promising keep up the great work! I admire your dedication to this project. I know this is a giant leap, but when exactly are you planning on putting in/trying the sound on the emulator? Perfect Dark might take a while, eh? I LOVE that game, i still play it a lot with my friends.

Briggzy11
August 11th, 2006, 07:30
yeh totally agreed this release will be a big improvement apparantly, and its only a month after the last release :) infact less so strnnmnn great work :)

felonyr301
August 11th, 2006, 07:45
no problem video freak the moment there i thought i did something wrong lol anyways cant wait for this release i mean cant wait to see the progress of both the zelda's on my psp.

SnoopKatt
August 11th, 2006, 08:55
This release seems promising keep up the great work! I admire your dedication to this project. I know this is a giant leap, but when exactly are you planning on putting in/trying the sound on the emulator? Perfect Dark might take a while, eh? I LOVE that game, i still play it a lot with my friends.
Yay, another PD fan! I love that game a ton too, but it's too bad it runs so slow in multiplayer with multiple people, even if it's on a real N64. But you know what Rare needs to do? For a whole bunch of systems (PS2, XBox, XBox 360, NDS, PSP), they should make a doublepack with Goldeneye and Perfect Dark with all of the original features. It probably won't happen, but wouldn't it be great if they did that?

D0N
August 11th, 2006, 09:27
Can't wait! Keep up the excellent work StrmnNrmn!

R4mbo
August 11th, 2006, 11:16
Hey Strmnnrmn,

Keep up that good work, for me you are the BIGGEST man in the Emu Scene for now.

infernomax
August 11th, 2006, 11:34
Hopefully we can get some really playable speeds on mario kart and mario 64... and ingame mario party wouldnt be bad

SmashinGit
August 11th, 2006, 13:52
Yay, another PD fan! I love that game a ton too, but it's too bad it runs so slow in multiplayer with multiple people, even if it's on a real N64. But you know what Rare needs to do? For a whole bunch of systems (PS2, XBox, XBox 360, NDS, PSP), they should make a doublepack with Goldeneye and Perfect Dark with all of the original features. It probably won't happen, but wouldn't it be great if they did that?

You know who owns Rare now don't you? Microsoft. Who knows, in time to come they may appear on Xbox Arcade :D . Ok so they probably won't, but its good to dream :)

Thanks for the hard work strm nrmn

YourStillWithMe
August 11th, 2006, 16:49
SmashinGit and Snoopkatt--Your good people, Perfect Dark is seriously probably my faovirte FPS of all time. Ya know why? The graphics may not be spectacular but the game is soooooooooooooooooooooooo fun, the guns are absolutely very well balanced and the best i've ever used in an fps, the aiming and very accurate and not like medal of honor frontline where you shoot someone in the head they grab there foot!, single player is really fun, you can customize characters in MP VERY WELL for the N64, great game. Yeah, it would be cool guys, i'd love to see that on the ps3 or psp!

JD/
August 11th, 2006, 19:31
w00t new daedalus coming soon i cant wait for this 1 zeldas gnna own

Alucard
August 11th, 2006, 20:17
I wonder how long before the Zelda's become playable. All I really want to play is the Zelda's, Mario 64 and Conker's.

I know conker's will take forever to emulate properly, but it would still be nice to play.

BTW, I haven't tested this in a while, does the .6 version allow for frameskip? I always forget if N64 emulators allowed FS. The way I figure it, Mario 64 should be fully playable at FS6 if so.

jak66
August 11th, 2006, 20:27
no daedalus does not support frameskip
strmn said that this would not speed up game speed significantly (a 0.4fps increase i think it was)
when deciding what to optimise so didn't add the feature, maybe in R7 though

felonyr301
August 11th, 2006, 21:13
Generally, frameskipping is useful when the game, or emulator, is bogged down on the graphics end. Meaning, the graphics aren't fast enough to keep up with the CPU. In the case of n64 emulation on the psp, it's the opposite. The CPU can't keep up with the graphics. Someone else (I don't remember who) has already provided an excellent example. I'll try to explain it from what i can remember.

Think of emulation like a book. The CPU (which does the emulation, for the most part) is the author, and the illustrator is the graphics unit. For frameskipping to be benificial, the author has to be writing the book so fast, that the illustrator can't keep up. So, instead of providing a picture for every page of the book, they provide a picture for every 5 or 10 pages. This cuts down on the work needed to be done by the illustrator, and allows the writer to get more done.

In the case of N64 emulation on the psp, the writer could be said to have writer's block. Because they're not putting forth pages to be drawn, the illustrator has to wait for the author to write more pages. The illustrator can't draw something that they don't have yet. So, for this case, it would be mostly pointless for the illustrator to draw less pictures. They can complete one picture faster than the writer can write one page.

Does that make sense? Did this help explain why frameskipping would most likely not help increase the speed in n64 emulation on the psp? I certainly think it's a good example.

tsurumaru
August 11th, 2006, 22:45
felonyr301 that an excellent analogy! :)

Video_freak
August 11th, 2006, 23:13
i understand much better now. thnks felonyr301 :)

felonyr301
August 12th, 2006, 00:22
well i shouldnt get alot of credit i did say i heard it from somewhere but the point is that more people should know why frameskip is not always the answer.only if everyone knew about this they wouldnt bother him with "why dont you add frameskip".

Alucard
August 12th, 2006, 00:53
Makes perfect sense, but at the same time, it makes me kinda depressed. Not to knock on anyones work, because the work that has been done so far is phenomenal, but I can't see getting Zelda full speed any time soon. Mario may be a go in 2-3 months or so, but definately not full speed.

Of course I could be horribly wrong which I hope I am.

felonyr301
August 12th, 2006, 01:56
im just afraid that when he does add sound support hopefully through ME engine to not kill off the performance that it will sound pretty ok because dont know why the GBA emulator acts so strange with sound on and im not talking about the speed im talking about the sound in general i mean its nasty but hopefully it wont happen on the n64 when he does input the sound.

vettacossx
August 13th, 2006, 02:55
the freekin suspense is KILLING me ;) its saturday! ;)

Kramer
August 13th, 2006, 03:02
haha its 3am in london so it wont be out for a while

BL4Z3D247
August 13th, 2006, 03:05
the freekin suspense is KILLING me ;) its saturday! ;)
u can say that again lol...i didn't have internet connection all day, i just got it back actually so hopefully he releases it soon before something else goes wrong with my internet and i can't get on again :p

vettacossx
August 13th, 2006, 04:01
HIGH BLAZED! wasup homes

ill mail a disk
(cd-r) n send it to you in the mail im in ny bro.....lol...whats you addy mail it 2 me ...;) i cant see missing out on 25% better n64 emulation HomeFry hey i mean hell maybe ill rush you in the fall ...lol...remember i live in the adirondacks lol close to canada ....hint hint...you know my mail...hahaha...inside joke but blazed knows what i mean lmao i love you guys...lol...woooooooooooot mario is gonna play MAD faster!!!

who wants to bet that it takes till sundaty night/monday morning ish

Sterist
August 13th, 2006, 04:07
plz plz release r7 :D

V3N0M
August 13th, 2006, 04:52
Well i'm gonna crash hopefully its released in the morning.

ACID
August 13th, 2006, 06:33
Still waiting for the release

Zombo
August 13th, 2006, 09:01
Oh well,the wait might be worth it.

Tooplex
August 13th, 2006, 15:26
Its The End Of The Weekend! Wheres The Emulator!

Uruz 6
August 13th, 2006, 15:36
Actually the day isn't over yet..

lale05
August 13th, 2006, 15:38
%) I'm waiting... Norman, You're the best!

infernomax
August 13th, 2006, 15:48
4PM in london where strmnnrmn lives... should be soon

playamp3
August 13th, 2006, 17:07
He said he hoped to finish by Sat or Sun and release it soon after that so it might not be released until Mon.

kersplatty
August 13th, 2006, 17:51
it is 10 minutes to 6 in uk right now so we still have another 4 hours at least to w8:D new update:

Nearly there

I've just about finished work on the custom controller configuration. Once I've finished testing everything is working as expected I'll begin the process of putting the release together. This can be quite involved as it requires updating all the documentation, packaging all the necessary files and uploading to SourceForge etc. Hopefully it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours. Next post will be with full details of all the changes and the download links etc.

-StrmnNrmn

i might wet myself:eek:

Video_freak
August 13th, 2006, 18:57
Right now its 10:57 AM Sunday morning in California time :) Still has time....

NoQuarter
August 13th, 2006, 19:03
I've got butterflies.Feel like I'm getting ready for my first date.Strmnnrmn your the man!

kersplatty
August 13th, 2006, 19:04
hes in uk

Video_freak
August 13th, 2006, 19:07
Yes, we know. ;) I don't really have butterflies because I still have to wait another day or two before my PSP ships in. :(

NoQuarter
August 13th, 2006, 19:13
I feel for you video freak,but at least you'll be able to try out an awesome emu on your new psp!

Video_freak
August 13th, 2006, 19:14
Yes, it's like a double package :D
Can't wait to see how much speed or graphic improvments come with lucky R7.

kersplatty
August 13th, 2006, 19:18
jus think 3 weeks until you could have a ps1 emu aswell:p

Video_freak
August 13th, 2006, 19:19
The homebrew scene is moving so fast nowadays...:)

NoQuarter
August 13th, 2006, 19:23
Yeah, this scene has come a long way.

ryan2006
August 13th, 2006, 19:51
7.50pm in scotland right now hopes its released soon and i hope mario party works gd:p

Man
August 13th, 2006, 20:06
3:00 in the afternoon, Sunday, cant wait, hopefully a release later tonight, i love mario and cant wait to see it work on my PSP!!!

Accordion
August 13th, 2006, 20:09
i have to wake up at 4:45 am tomorrow... but this is too good to miss.

jak66
August 13th, 2006, 20:19
8:20 english time....so close i can already see LOZ:OOT playing at 7fps on my psp

NoQuarter
August 13th, 2006, 20:23
Gonna pull an all nighter accordian boy?I don't blame you,I'd do the same thing if I hadn't already done it twice this week.God I want this release!

jak66
August 13th, 2006, 20:26
no word from strmnnrmn, but lookie wats on sourceforge