PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Multiplayer In Today's Games?

wraggster
July 27th, 2010, 20:35
Gamepro discusses the idea that modern games put too much emphasis on multiplayer, and that players aren't as concerned about it as developers think. 'The current environment encourages developers to unnecessarily toss multiplayer into their games without caring about it — or even considering whether anyone will bother playing it. It’s like they're checking an invisible quota box that demands multiplayer's inclusion.' Personally I agree that too much emphasis is placed on competitive multiplayer. I play online, but only with my brother in games that allow co-operative modes, like Rainbow Six: Vegas and ARMA 2. 'My point isn't that developers shouldn't try and conquer Halo or Call of Duty. We'd never have any progress in this industry if developers didn't compete. Game companies, however, should think carefully about what they want their games to be, and more important, gamers should consider what they want. If a developer wants to eclipse Halo, then by all means, pour that effort into a multiplayer mode that's different.' I would be interested to know how many gamers really care about the multiplayer components of the games they buy.

http://games.slashdot.org/story/10/07/26/2129236/Too-Much-Multiplayer-In-Todays-Games

WhizzBang
July 27th, 2010, 21:36
I have never bought a game for its multiplayer but usually try the online ones at least once if there is anyone around.

Hardwood Hearts and Mario Kart Wii are probably my most played online multiplayer games. I don't like those FPS death match ones like Halo as they just seem like a game of virtual hide-and-seek to me.

Emulation_Chief
July 28th, 2010, 00:12
Hello:

I'm the type of guy who usually play offline. I'm not a big lover of online multiplayer games. I have my xbox connected on live, but I prefer play a LAN party on my house with friends or play Live with friends and neighbors than anything else.

Sometimes I got frustrated on how short the single player experiences are becoming. Also, offline co-op is replaced game by game with xbox live only support.

As for me, count me as one of those who prefer a balanced experience and a large single and co-op offline.

JDvorak
July 28th, 2010, 16:18
I have 2 kids and a wife, when I look for games to play I want games with 4 player or more support so the whole family can play. I don't do online games with strangers all over the world at all. I used to with Sierra Golf, but people were pissed when you didn't make the shots in team matches. Not worth being embarrassed or have people mad at you. Besides we like to play the board/party games and you can't play Mario Party online.