PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Best Emulator For Dreamcast?

wraggster
April 11th, 2004, 22:21
Over the years there has been some fantastic emulators released for the Dreamcast, but which in your opinions was the best emulator ever released?

To answer my own question i would say that DreamcSnes is my favourite emulator ever but im a big fan of the Snes anyway

Other than that i would say NesterDC as kept me entertained very much.

THe Bleemcast releases were great too, Rand is and was an awesome coder.

Whats your Opinions?

Christuserloeser
April 12th, 2004, 01:57
Bleem!cast is really great! METAL GEAR SOLID still is a really good game!
A friend of mine brought MGS - Twin Snakes for GC.
It's really close to the original.
I'm gonna meet him next week and compare Twin Snakes with the PSX version of MGS and the official Bleem!cast for MGS.

Is Rand still around!? Isn't there a chance to release a newer version of Bleem!cast than this leaked early beta?! Maybe they could release Bleem!cast as open source!? *Edit: Okay, I've asked that already on an earlier posting ::)

DreamSNES is great, too... Any news about it!? *:-/

NesterDC 71 might be the best one currently available for DC! I really love playing some of the old NES games even today!

SMSplus is really great, too but now that it is dropped by Pascal Bosquet...
SMSplus misses several things like FM2413, 3D or analog support, but it's really perfect besides that.

The new NeoGeoCD emu for DC looks promising, too *;D

LyonHrt
April 12th, 2004, 02:10
That leaked beta was earlier than the released versions.
The last bleem pack for dc they were working on (well finished, but not released) was wwf smackdown 1 and 2.

Christuserloeser
April 12th, 2004, 04:19
The last bleem pack for dc they were working on (well finished, but not released) was wwf smackdown 1 and 2.

I'm just wondering if there is a newer work-in-progress version of those hundred-games bleem!cast discs from which this early beta version was leaked, and if so, why the bleem! programers don't release it after they abondoned it?
Releasing a newer version of bleem!cast would be a nice move and a good thing for the scene too, I think.

Though I am aware that the existance of this leaked early version must be kinda frustrating for the developers, a possible freeware release of a newer / the latest version should give more sense to their hard work than just having this old discs lying around somewhere at their homes without any use.

They'd not reward to the guy(s) that leaked their work, they'd help today's Dreamcast scene.

I am really enjoying playing G-Darius or R-Type Alpha on my DC!

steveola
April 12th, 2004, 12:48
I seem to remember that the Bleemcast guys dumped the project after becoming entangled in a legal brawl with Sony's lawyers.

2 reasons I think we will never see a freeware release of this:

1 - Sony would sue.

2 - There is no money in it for the developers.

Anyway, my favourite emulators are probably MAME, followed closely by S***GEN, then in a close 3rd place it would have to be Nester.

Although there are 2 ways of considering this topic:

1 - From a technical viewpoint.
(ie you are impressed by the coding, and presentation)

2 - From a nostalgia viewpoint
(ie you have a soft spot for certain systems)

Do you know what I'm getting at?

wraggster
April 12th, 2004, 20:38
Certainly from the tech viewpoint - Bleemcast is way out in front i just wish the wwf bleemcast was brought out.

Nostalgia for me means playing Snes games again, probably the best console ever.

Clessy
April 12th, 2004, 22:41
Bleemcast or SegaGENS is probably the best but then again there proffesional so you'd expect alot more from them.

DreamSnes, GENs+(SGA cause it had sound and BA still hasnt added saving nor sound to the offical version), SuperFamicast(will be better than DreamSnes soon) and of course NeoGeoCD is looking nicer. Its like play Zsnes ona 486s. Fast enough but it will always be choppy :D

wraggster
April 12th, 2004, 22:51
ScherZo is a great author so im looking forward to seeing him update Superfamicast and hopefully Chui will bring his talents to the Dreamcast with an emu port too.

Chui ported VBA over to the GP32, id love to see him attempt a Dreamcast port.

Clessy
April 13th, 2004, 12:29
Doesnt gp32 have more vram and real ram meaning it can fit bigger carts into the ram?

wraggster
April 13th, 2004, 13:03
Im not sure but those coders for the GP32 have done some amazing ports :)

Mat_b
April 13th, 2004, 20:18

Wow Smack down 1+2 would have been great on DC with smoothing it would have been awesome!

wraggster
April 13th, 2004, 22:17
Yeah he was just about to release the Smackdown Bleemcasts but then Sony must have won and it all went quiet :(

Rand was such a grand chap too.

Skyhawk
April 13th, 2004, 22:29
Rand is still a fine chap. I really must finish of my Bleem knowledge base sometime. They deserve it.

souLLy
April 14th, 2004, 01:14
i dont think they won.... just think rand ran out of money to fight back. sad stuff.

wraggster
April 14th, 2004, 02:10
Yeah it sucks that such a great knowledge of the Dreamcast is going to waste