PDA

View Full Version : PSXP - The Rumoured Playstation Emulator Videos ?

wraggster
August 11th, 2006, 22:50
raphabot posted 2 videos on the forums (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31874) of the new rumoured PSone emulator for the PSP being worked on by as yet unnamed PSP Devs.

From what i can gather whats shown in the Video has seen an increase of 20- 30 % already.

A PSP Dev has told me that the PSP and PSone share a lot of similiarities but Devs will know more than me.

More News as we at DCEmu gets it :)

ACID
August 11th, 2006, 22:55
Man this sounds great. Bring it on

brainpan
August 11th, 2006, 23:03
Um...why does the video say "PSPone" ? I htough the name o fthis emu was "PSPx"

Video_freak
August 11th, 2006, 23:03
why knows. i hope its real :)

-RB-Gazza
August 11th, 2006, 23:27
brainpan
Dcemu Newbie

Um...why does the video say "PSPone" ? I htough the name o fthis emu was "PSPx

are yo a retard or summin maybe the person who made the video called it that god......

i think its much better than what we had and good luck to them

Video_freak
August 11th, 2006, 23:28
no need for insults. that wasnt really a flame but still...

DPyro
August 11th, 2006, 23:55
This isnt PSXP wraggster :cool:

mavsman4457
August 12th, 2006, 00:05

That's what I thought.

stotheamuel
August 12th, 2006, 00:07
OHHHH
-Rb-GAZZA should be eating his own foot right about now :p way to go brainpan!

Voltron
August 12th, 2006, 00:07

Oh so this isn't it?

Well, I did assume that the PSP would have similarities with the PSOne. This will surely be to the advantage of talented coders and developers that know how to harness those similarities.

felonyr301
August 12th, 2006, 00:16
wow cant wait to see what this can do.

SteveV2
August 12th, 2006, 00:26
Nice, choice of 3 then? :D

I'm in a very happy mood, just unlocked my 1st special car in ridge racer!!

Video_freak
August 12th, 2006, 00:26
congrats SteveV2 :) (i'm happy today too)

SteveV2
August 12th, 2006, 00:29
congrats SteveV2 :) (i'm happy today too)

Took about 6 attempts, It could go a clear 20mph more than me, blocking, nitros.

But now it's mine, all mine haha :)

fistikuffs
August 12th, 2006, 01:48
I dunno a homebrew PS One emu could spell a lot of trouble. I'm sure sony is banking on their emu to bring in a lot of cash.

felonyr301
August 12th, 2006, 02:02
thats sony's way of saying heres the ps1 emulator now dont say we didnt give something to the community all yea i forgot to mention you have to pay for all the games that you had before all over again and upgrade for it but heres the good part though its going for the "low" price of 14.99 to 19.99 enjoy... well enjoy my ass sony is up some shit if they think im going to pay for games i own again and for almost the same price of dvd movies ha and not to mention leave my beautiful homebrew capabilities away they funny.

wolfpack
August 12th, 2006, 02:20
Heh yea no kidding, i like psone and all but i wouldnt want to pay for the games that i already own all over again. once this fanmade emulator comes out, their sales are going to go down and they will lose to the homebrew industry, and i LOVE my homebrew and theyre not taking that away from me.

nyrtrublue
August 12th, 2006, 02:25
The homebrew communtiy is not that big in comparison to the people that keep their head up there ass and couldnt tell you what an emulator is so its not gonna kill sony but its still a major blow. I believe the balance is perfect right now sony will make enough money to keep the psp comercially alive while the homebrew community thrives.

pkmaximum
August 12th, 2006, 02:27
Hmm it is possible that this is real, and a release date of Septemeber 1st people are saying. It won't kill us to wait till then though to find out if this is real or not. Still though I was more of a N64 fan, but the PSX did have a lot of insane games ~Castle Vania Symphony of The Night was definently one of my all time favorites. Well I guess its just best to wait and see what happens.

P.S. Still not giving my hopes up....

DPyro
August 12th, 2006, 02:31
The september release is more of a beta, and I dont think it will be as fast as people would like (there will be some complaints).

gangsta_psp
August 12th, 2006, 02:40
The september release is more of a beta, and I dont think it will be as fast as people would like (there will be some complaints).
indeed

nyrtrublue
August 12th, 2006, 04:05
OMG September 1st is my birthday what a great present! A psx emulator and I can go for my learners permit! Being 16 rocks!

razorak
August 12th, 2006, 04:35
kewl...mine's on September 2nd and i'll be 16 this year too..lol

been waiting for the PSX emu for quite some time now...lol

dagger89
August 12th, 2006, 04:45
i see ur a 2.60 user...hate to break it to u, but they'll most likely b using the media engine for sound. so cross ur fingers they release an eloader ver.

razorak
August 12th, 2006, 04:50
tks for the warning but either way it's good news if all can use it or the only the majority can(1.5 users). Things happen step by step from a media engine version to cater to the majority then perhaps a eloader friendly version. Patience is the only key :D

DPyro
August 12th, 2006, 05:16
Uh...Or you could downgrade to 1.50....

Mysteryman
August 12th, 2006, 05:28
He cant downgrade... And my birthday is Sep 30, Ill be 16 too lol.

DPyro
August 12th, 2006, 05:55
I'm sure they'll find a way to downgrade those boards. As far as I know the hardware isnt that different, but instead theres something 'blocking' it from downgrading.

Uruz 6
August 12th, 2006, 08:24
I wonder what kind of files will the emulator read (given it's the real thing): iso? bin/cue?

Dickhead
August 12th, 2006, 09:02
Looks intresting but it needs much more speeeeeeed, its looks toooo slowww

one winged angel
August 12th, 2006, 09:05
lol that kinda remembered me of selphie

LordSturm
August 12th, 2006, 10:45
thats worth loling at..

wilbur
August 12th, 2006, 12:22
I don't really understand how the psp could emlate a PS1 when it can only just about emulate 16 bit machines like the Neo Geo/CPS2?

just seems a little strange

LordSturm
August 12th, 2006, 13:12
I rekkon being a 700mb format, with similar ram storage etc. the psp was made with ps1's system in mind...

The reason the psp sucks at emulating GBA, is because the hardware is so very different, and the cpu has to be emulated in a different way etc.

PS1 uses about the same reasources as a PSP, except of cause the fact the ps1 probably rendered a larger screen. hmm...

Briggzy11
August 12th, 2006, 14:57
I wonder who has done this?

Well good luck ;)

aries2k4
August 12th, 2006, 17:06
I don't really understand how the psp could emlate a PS1 when it can only just about emulate 16 bit machines like the Neo Geo/CPS2?

It was already explained how rom games require alot of ram memory. Not to mention that the hardware is more likely to be similar. I´m guessing this emu wil be running iso format. it would have to if you want to compress it in DAX right?

Voltron
August 12th, 2006, 17:38
Agreed...

PS1 Emulation is a REAL possibility with the PSP believe it or not. This has me very excited. I would not anything rushed though. I almost want to see Sony's PSOne EMU released BEFORE a homebrew version just in case Sony tries to counter a homebrew release with some more extreme measures.

Either way, multiple homebrew PSOne EMU's and a commercial Sony EMU means lots of competition. This can only be good for progress on a homebrew version.

Exciting stuff!

mavsman4457
August 12th, 2006, 23:32
Do you think that Sony's Firmwares would be better or worse if homebrew weren't there to bother them. I think they would be better actually. I bet they have a bunch of people who work on security and a bunch of people who work on features. Without homebrew there would be no need for the security patchers. They wouldn't need to wait for great homebrew releases and then give us good features on their firmware. They would throw it all at us at the same time. That being said, I think regardless, I would still prefer homebrew over Sony's potential homebrew free firmware. Not sure if that makes sense but what do you guys think?

DPyro
August 12th, 2006, 23:39
Wrong. Sony would be dishing out security updates regardless of the homebrew scene.

pkmaximum
August 12th, 2006, 23:52
Yes after all I believe firmware 1.5 came out before the 1.0 firmware was even exploited, or discovered on unassigned code running on it.

Tinnus
August 13th, 2006, 00:53

The PSP is just a HUGE DAMN LOT like the PS1. Take a look:

- CPU -
PS1: 33Mhz MIPS R3000
PSP: 333Mhz MIPS R4000 (10x faster, more modern model)

- GPU -
PS1: 2D GPU with tiles, sprites, and *2D* textured/colored polygons. 1MB VRAM
PSP: 3D GPU with support for hardware tranform and lighting and linear filtering. Can spit at least 10x the number of polygons/second the PS1 can. That number seems lower because actually the PS1 games ran at lower framerates than the PSP so the PSP is more demanded per frame. For a GOOD comparison, see TR Legend for PSP. 2MB VRAM.

The PSP GPU has a lot more similarities, but that's just too techinical to explain here. Anyone interested read some docs on both.

- Vector Unit -
PS1: Auxiliary CPU chip - GTE (Geometry Transformation Engine) - Does stuff like matrix multiplying, dot products, etc with 3x3 matrices and 3x1 vectors. Has 32 registers.
PSP: Auxiliary CPU unit - VFPU (Vector Floating Point Unit) - Does stuff like matrix multiplying, dot products, logarithms, squaring, sine, cosine, etc with 4x4 matrices and 4x1 vectors. Has *** 128 *** registers.

Note that both the PS1 GTE and the PSP VFPU run along with the CPU, in the sense that the software sends the raw machine commands to the CPU, and if they are GTE of VFPU-specific, the CPU sends it to them. But (AFAIK) it still waits for them to complete the operation. So basically they operate in the same clock as the CPU, only do stuff quicker than the CPU would.

pkmaximum
August 13th, 2006, 06:43
Looking at these specs it is clear that the ps1 emulation is more possible than SNES emualtion =O

NJisMYhome
August 13th, 2006, 09:00
Looking at these specs it is clear that the ps1 emulation is more possible than SNES emualtion =O

the emulation on snes is good, its only a few games that dont run good (chrono trigger, donkey kong country, etc) but most game work with no problem..........i cant wait for a new snestyl update!!!!!!

uhhhh, does anyone know if those guys are still working on an update, or any other team????

kersplatty
August 13th, 2006, 10:59
so if this isnt the one snipr hus working on this one then :eek: :eek: :eek:

Kramer
August 13th, 2006, 11:03
if this is pspone i know whos working on it and i dont think that they want to be named

skater9269
August 13th, 2006, 14:30
the emulation on snes is good, its only a few games that dont run good (chrono trigger, donkey kong country, etc) but most game work with no problem..........i cant wait for a new snestyl update!!!!!!

uhhhh, does anyone know if those guys are still working on an update, or any other team????

which donkey kong country the one i play runs very ver y well on most levels. btw I think that the psp is capable of full speed ps1 emulation with sound and wifi support for alot of ps1 games in fact all im worried about is a larger memory stick i only have 1 gig.

mavsman4457
August 13th, 2006, 16:20

They do still plan on working on it but as of now they are very busy with there outside of PSP lives. That's what they keep saying on their forums and they lash out at people when they ask that question there so don't go over there and ask them. :)

Tinnus
August 13th, 2006, 17:05
They do still plan on working on it but as of now they are very busy with there outside of PSP lives. That's what they keep saying on their forums and they lash out at people when they ask that question there so don't go over there and ask them. :)
So you know the authors of the video?
edit: ah sorry you were talking about SNES :P

pkmaximum
August 13th, 2006, 18:54
A coder should always gain peoples trust before posting news, and WIPS about their projects by releasing a proof of concept, otherwise we are forced to ask questions, and believe there is many possibilities of a HOAX. It would be very helpful if a beta was initialed for an early release otherwise we have no way of expecting this to be real or a hoax.

Cloud_35
August 14th, 2006, 02:57
Nice :)

(Parasite EVE...)