PDA

View Full Version : Team 17: PSPGo Failed Because Of Price

wraggster
August 4th, 2010, 00:44
Team 17 has spoken to IncGamers about digital distribution and talked about the main problems that the PSPGo encountered.

Studio head Martyn Brown revealed that digitial distribution dramatically helped the team with the releases of Worms 2: Armageddon and Alien Breed Impact.

Brown revealed, “Of course, it’s totally changed the playing field for us and put the control back in our hands. I would imagine none of this [release of Alien Breed and Worms] would have happened without the move to digital.”

When asked whether the gaming industry could solely survive on digital distribution in the future after the failed-attempt of the PSPGo, Brown was adamant it could.

“Digital Distribution is here to stay” he explained, “I think the issues with the PSPGO were somewhat different, basically the cost of the hardware, the software library and it’s pricing – the problem wasn’t that it was a digital device – look at the iPhone & appstore.”

http://www.incgamers.com/News/24297/team-17-pspgo-failed-because-of-price

symbal
August 4th, 2010, 14:26
And will Sony learn from that mistake? Errr... No.

PoorKingz
August 5th, 2010, 00:28
I don't get why some people think the PSPgo failed because people don't like digital distribution. Obviously the high price point and small software library had something to do with it.

symbal
August 5th, 2010, 01:09
If you build a good infrastructure for digital distro around a device then price isn't so much of an issue, the iPhone proves this, the problem is Sony is just hugely slow to release new services and features and are often 2-3 years behind the competition, and they tried to run the Psp Go release the same as an old physical media system by giving a small amount of content on release and releasing more over time, but PSN is still crap for content choice and they need to learn that with digital distro it's quantity over quality that's important.