PDA

View Full Version : CAPCOM CPS2 Emulator for PSP Test 5 Incoming

wraggster
August 12th, 2006, 12:16
It seems that we are not far away from a new version of the CPS2 emulator for the PSP by NJ (http://neocdz.hp.infoseek.co.jp/psp/cps2.html), he has posted some info on his page (in japanese so dont bother to look :p)

More info when the release happens

Dj.PsP
August 12th, 2006, 12:41
lol! He must be a codeaholic! Can't wait to see the result! NJ is THE man!!!!

danimslug
August 12th, 2006, 14:30
Es el mejor emulador de PSP. :D

lefthooklori
August 12th, 2006, 14:57
Awesome. Can't wait!!!

fucht017
August 12th, 2006, 15:15
Well i can read Japanese..."can you realy read Japanese fucht017"...no...not realy...but great news NJ.:D

delt31
August 12th, 2006, 15:32
can someone who can read chinese please translate

this emu is the BEST!

Video_freak
August 12th, 2006, 15:47
yes, a translation would be nice. thnks for the update and i hope this will be another great release from NJ :)

Voltron
August 12th, 2006, 17:01
Many great things come from Japan and the Japanese.

NJ is an example of that. Thank you for your continued and very great efforts.

I can't wait for this.

djandy
August 12th, 2006, 17:18
Just noticed that you're all after a translation of what NJ said about his latest version, so here it is. I'm not to familiar with all the technical jargon, so hope it makes sense.....

"There have been various changes made for the Test 5 (of this emulator)
Firstly, the cache files (system) that had to be written before the games were run is undergoing an overhaul.
Also, even though it wasn’t required to make a cache file for “spf2t”, from now it will be necessary.
By changing the cache file system, certain games will be able to be run by loading them directly.
The ones that should do this are in the list below (including clone sets):-
 ecofghtr
 avsp
 sfa
 19xx
 megaman2
 qndream
 spf2t
 csclub
 mpangj
 pzloop2j
I’m just about finished with this alteration.

Next is a revision of the sprite masking process as used in certain games, however, this'll take some time (to complete). If all the necessary sprite masking processing is attempted on the PSP, the speed of the games will drop drastically. Therefore, it will have to be shared with regular sprite drawing.
So, I’m currently checking all the sprite data and masking data (of each game) piece by piece.
And because all this information is recorded in the cache file, finishing this task is not going to be easy.
At this point in time, the only game other than progear that’s been fixed is the csclub screen below.
The ssf2t (ssf2xj) continue screen has been revised too. Also, another noticeable thing is the gigawing demo. Are there any other games that don't work correctly that I should take a look at? If anyone notices anything strange in a game, it'd be a great help if you let me know."

Enjoy.

Baboon
August 12th, 2006, 17:46
Just noticed that you're all after a translation of what NJ said about his latest version, so here it is. I'm not to familiar with all the technical jargon, so hope it makes sense.....

"There have been various changes made for the Test 5 (of this emulator)
Firstly, the cache files (system) that had to be written before the games were run is undergoing an overhaul.
Also, even though it wasn’t required to make a cache file for “spf2t”, from now it will be necessary.
By changing the cache file system, certain games will be able to be run by loading them directly.
The ones that should do this are in the list below (including clone sets):-
 ecofghtr
 avsp
 sfa
 19xx
 megaman2
 qndream
 spf2t
 csclub
 mpangj
 pzloop2j
I’m just about finished with this alteration.
Enjoy.

Thats great news if these games are going to be sorted. Megaman 2, csclub, spf2t and mpanj stutter a wee bit when loading from my memory card, so this development sounds very promising.

Roll on the download of test 5! :D

djandy
August 12th, 2006, 18:49
Don't know if this has already been translated by anyone, or not, but here it is anyway. I was reading further down the page that deatiled the changes to Test5 and this Q&A caught my eye.....Anyway, see what you think.

"Miscellaneous

There seem to be loads of people currently visiting this site, so I thought I’d write down a few things of interest. Hope it doesn’t sound too negative (laughs) Also, don’t suppose someone could translate this so it could be posted in foreign forums (laughs)

Q: Do you have any plans to make a version of MAME?
A: Not at all. It wouldn’t really be any different from the other existing versions of MAME. And besides, making individual emulators for each system (usually) results in optimal performance.

Q: Have you any plans to write an emulator that runs current console games? Or perhaps an emulator that deals with 3D games?
A: I’m only really interested in the games from 1980 to the first half of the 90s. There are plenty of consoles out there, surely that’s enough?! Personally, I only really liked the NEO GEO CD.

Q: Do you have any plans to combine all your emulators into one?
A: Conversely, think about why I haven’t combined them all…..The problem is the memory limitations (of each program). All of them have suffered from lack of memory (the CPS1 emulator, for example, was just about able to cope). Putting them all together would result in things being cut off, or scaled-down here and there. I have no plans to combine them.

Q: Aren’t you going to implement AdHoc?
A: Nope. I only have one PSP and so I can’t test it out. I really don’t have any interest in AdHoc. I just want to see the older games running (on the PSP), I don’t even really play them. Once I get the emulators to the state where I’m happy with their performance, I usually move on (lose interest). I like to think along the lines of “I wonder if I’d get more speed if I changed this?”.

And speaking of which, I feel I’m almost at that stage with this CPS2 emulator. Can’t quite get all the games to run at 60fps, but some of them do. In the beginning, I really didn’t think I’d get this far, but games like D&D, AvP etc, running at 60fps, made me realise I’ve come quite far. I really can’t understand what those people who think they’ll see MvC running at full-speed on the PSP are thinking….."

Video_freak
August 12th, 2006, 18:50
thanks DJ Dandy for the translation ;)
great news :D

djandy
August 12th, 2006, 18:59
No problem!! Seems like the guy is conscious of his many followers abroad, so I was thinking I might relay a few of our feelings/hopes/desires about his emulators back to him in Japanese. Seems like he's after comments anyway......

fistikuffs
August 12th, 2006, 19:02
Thanks for the translation djandy. NJ's work is always class and i can't wait to try this new version out!

Psphreak
August 12th, 2006, 19:59
NJ has worked wonders on cps2. I can play ssf2 with max sound quality and man is it smooth! Too bad he hasn't been able to get results like that on cps1 :(. In any case, I'm just very happy playing my sf2s on my psp :D

delt31
August 12th, 2006, 20:17
No problem!! Seems like the guy is conscious of his many followers abroad, so I was thinking I might relay a few of our feelings/hopes/desires about his emulators back to him in Japanese. Seems like he's after comments anyway......

Please tell him that I consider him a coding genius. We have had so many emus that have 35 version and at the end of the day they aren't as good as one of NJs Betas. the guy is amazing

delt31
August 12th, 2006, 20:43

Can you PLEASE ask him if hyper street fighter 2: anniversary edition will be supported. it's zip is hsf2.zip

ACID
August 12th, 2006, 20:52
Can you PLEASE ask him if hyper street fighter 2: anniversary edition will be supported. it's zip is hsf2.zip
This game works now all you have to have is SSF2 as the parent rom:D

kayhanbakid
August 12th, 2006, 21:26
I hope the European version of mvsc will work. I'll never be able to find the US version.

ACID
August 12th, 2006, 21:35
I hope the European version of mvsc will work. I'll never be able to find the US version.
No it doesn't work directly but you need it to play mvscj or any other daughter ROM:cool:

delt31
August 12th, 2006, 22:42
I don't think hyper works. I'm talking about HYPER STREET FIGHTER 2 : AE.

anyone confirm this? if so how big is the rom

SteveV2
August 12th, 2006, 23:09
If someones going to translate some comments on here I like to say,

--------------------------

Thanks so much for both CPS1 and CPS2. They are both by far the most used program on my psp to date. You've done a fine job! SteveV2.

--------------------------

Can't wait to get me mits on test 5 :D

aries2k4
August 12th, 2006, 23:31
Ya, thanks for the great translation Djandy. It´s great to Know NJ realizes that he has many supporters. His emus are great, no doubt about that. He doesn´t stop until it´s as good as it can be. I´m a little sad about no ad-hoc, but hey, no demands, just wishes. It´s just great that I can play so many negeo and capcom games. Thanks for everything NJ.

Ps, hey Djandy. The guys over at Qj also apreciate your translation, Loool.

pkmaximum
August 13th, 2006, 00:03
Can't wait for the relese of CPS-2 TEST 5 but I can't say that I'm not dissapointed in the fact taht he is never going to add ad hoc support, as games like Marvel vs. Capcom was the whole point of being able to play other people. And most arcade games you would battle it out against other people. So when you can't play othe rpeople it just seems as if you are burning quarters to play against the CPU.

publicprivates
August 13th, 2006, 00:24
pkmaximun your avatar is hot.

djandy
August 13th, 2006, 04:15
Seems like NJ has added a little more commentary to his site. Here's what he has to say:-

"Additional #1: In dimahoo, all work on the ending and the shadows for the “Ninja tornado robot” has been finished.
Please let me know if there’re any other unusual things in any other games. It’d be a great help.

Ah, looks like I have to implement a "save state" now..... But I still can't get the debug done..... I feel like I've just come through some kind of "great magical battle", but the remaining work is going to take some time and probably won't get finished this week.

Okay, I've put in a save state function (It only took about five minutes to do in the end) and now the work on dimahoo is all done. Next on to gigawing..... It would be a good idea to get used to playing vertical shooters with the rotate function off. It's visually better and takes a little pressure of the PSP when processing data. By the way, if you go to the service menu and flip the screen, it's possible to flip it the other way too, with the top of the screen on the left-hand side. Like this:- If you didn't know about this, give it a try."

Zombo
August 13th, 2006, 05:13
Agreed pkmaximum Ad-Hoc would be Perfect! (He said he doesn't have anyone to test it with,nor does he want to waste time with it) I mean it's not really fun to fight against the computer EVERY time! (Final Fight,Marvel Vs.Capcom etc) Or is it fun to have a 2 player switch (Which can be useful or useless depends on you)

OT:He really needs to add sound on some Neo-Geo games.

OTT: If possible he needs to make a classic game emulator,Namco if you will.

TrowaX
August 13th, 2006, 05:50
I agree with you Zombo, it would be nice to play multiplayer then just eh CPU all the time

The main thing i would say is that speed of the game would be the first step to impanting the multi player functions

ACID
August 13th, 2006, 06:27
I know he is not going to do Ad-Hoc but maibe some one else could try to do the ad on to the emu if they have the src.

felonyr301
August 13th, 2006, 07:26
been reading up on this emulator and never really knew what this is so basically is a capcom arcade type of emulator right? so playing marvel vs capcom is do able on this ohh man if its true then im on this like a crackhead on crack.

djandy
August 13th, 2006, 07:33
NJ goes on to say:

"About Gigawing.....Instead of trying to make masked sprites, I decided to use the background data for it since there aren't any transparencies. Sorry if this upsets anyone.
I don't like this game very much and don't really want to spend an unnecessary amount of time on it. I'm going to focus on Progear instead."

As before I'm not really too sure on what this "masking" all means, so I hope these literal translations make sense. I saw a link on another site to a translated version of NJ's site, but the English was very confused and didn't make much sense at all!!

ACID
August 13th, 2006, 07:37
Interesting but Progear is better anyways

Voltron
August 13th, 2006, 11:38
Thank you for the translations djandy!

aries2k4
August 13th, 2006, 13:01
Ya, a technical literal translation is much better than those google translations. Those are actually kind of funny but usually worthless.
Thanks

djandy
August 13th, 2006, 13:53
Well, I'm glad to hear the translations are appreciated.....I've also had a good laugh at some of the Google translations!! In a way, I'm glad translations can't be done perfectly by computers yet, otherwise I'd be out of a job!!!!! Anyway, I'm trying to find a contact address for NJ so that I can relay some of our feelings/concerns about his emulators.

delt31
August 14th, 2006, 00:00
djandy - can we have an update - his website is updated

thanks bro

also can you ask him if Hyper SF2 Anniversary edition will be supported? he wanted to know some feedback for games

djandy
August 14th, 2006, 03:32
Sorry for the delay, I've just got up!! Anyway, his website appears to have changed, but the information is pretty much the same. Here you go:-

"Everything’s got a little messy, so let me clear it up for you.

Test5 alterations (I’m still working on a number of things, so the release is still a little way off)
The cache files have been changed to confirm with CPS2.. They are no longer compatible with those from previous revisions of this emulator and so must be remade.
Some games that only used to load data now run properly. See the list below (inc. clone sets)
  ecofghtr
  avsp
  sfa
  19xx
  megaman2
  qndream
  spf2t
  csclub
  mpangj
  pzloop2j

I’m currently in the process of making adjustments to the sprite masking process. I’ve tried a number of things, but I found that using the same methods as MAME or FBA was way too power-consuming for the PSP and lead to a significant drop in speed, making certain games unplayable. When making the cache files, all the sprite data must be recorded and when the sprites are drawn, a different process is performed. The mechanism almost always causes a decrease in performance.
And so, I’m currently in the process of extracting and checking all the individual sprite data piece by piece. It’s going to take some time to complete.
The games I’ve been focused on are as follows:-

The csclub logo screen that appears right after loading

Some of the ssft2 character continue screens.

The “Ninja tornado shadow” and ending in dimahoo.

The “betting”(??) text and various background effects in gigawing. (All this means is bringing the effects forward and out of the background. It’s not such a problem, I wonder why I’m bothering really…..)

The second form of the 3-screen boss in progear.

Please let me know if anyone notices any other strange problems in the games.
I have a feeling that the “shield” in ddsom was a little bit strange come to think of it…..

It has become imperative to do some debugging and so I plan to implement a save state function."

Also, I really want to contact him directly, but I still can't find an E-mail address.....

QueadlunnRau
August 14th, 2006, 16:11
djandy Thank you sooooooooo much for taking the time to translate for us ...

BTW your eyes scare me ... O.o

djandy
August 14th, 2006, 17:22
No worries about the translations.....I spend most of my time in front of the computer doing translations for customers that it's actually a breath of fresh air to do some that I actually have an interest in!!
Sorry about eyes though QueadlunnRau, they're actually 1-yen coins I stuck there when I was drunk a few years ago.....

QueadlunnRau
August 15th, 2006, 00:58
Sorry about eyes though QueadlunnRau, they're actually 1-yen coins I stuck there when I was drunk a few years ago.....

No no no worries ... I like being scared ~_^;

Mang we really have to thank NJ for the work he is doing, after reading those translations, he really does not have too much interest in working on CPS1 and CPS2 for himself, also with no donations links on his page ... Mang this guy is really coding/porting this for us ... his fans.

donne
August 15th, 2006, 01:53
What kind of a person NJ is ? A perfectionist ? CPS2PSP most probably one of the greatest emulator for PSP and it's really-really playable and he's worried too much about a strange shield I don't even take notice of ??

Man, add with that SAVE STATE function.. That's more than we can ask for !

coolsoul
August 15th, 2006, 02:17
welll coool web for info

Festizzio
August 15th, 2006, 02:58
I can't wait! :) Also, I don't know if it'll be the same for everyone here, but I had a eur version of marvel vs. capcom and just added a "u" after the name and it worked. It's original name was "mvsc.zip" and it didn't work, but then I named it "mvscu.zip" and it worked. So, try that. The cache has to be "mvscu_cache.zip" also.

ACID
August 15th, 2006, 04:01
It works as a parent rom

djandy
August 15th, 2006, 10:46
Looks like NJ is readying something for us all soon.....This is what he has to say.

"I've pretty much decided on everything for the file cache system, so my next release will be a Alpha.

Alterations (Test5)

There have been loads of changes.
Because so much has changed, it's likely that some new problems might turn up as well. If you do experience any difficulties, please use test3 or 4 instead.

1) The new file cache system is no longer compatible with previous versions, so you'll have to re-cache all the roms. Due to the changes, the games below will load and won't have to access any files on the memory stick after that.

ecofghtr / avsp / sfa / 19xx / megaman2 /qndream / spf2t / csclub / mpangj / pzloop2j

2) After completing the debugging, I managed to implement a save state function. This will probably go through some more fine-tuning until I reach the final version, so don't expect the saves to always be compatible with subsequent versions.

3) I've corrected the freezing that occurred when the PSP is put into sleep mode.

4) I've made it so ssf2t and the clone set will act as parent files and access the cached data.

5) The sound has now been configured to use 22050HZ as the default setting.

6) The sprite handling and drawing system has been updated.

7) The scrolling during shooting games should now be a lot more stable and smooth. However, due to the large amount of data required for fighting games, there may be a slight drop in speed when the memory card is accessed (I believe this represents very near to the limit of what will be capable with these kinds of games. It's just not possible to make them perefct)....."

Anyway, NJ goes on to say some more, but I'm in the middle of a REAL translation job and will have to do the rest later!! Enjoy.

8)

Baboon
August 15th, 2006, 11:16
Thanks v much for the translation.... I cant wait for the Alpha release! :)

donne
August 15th, 2006, 11:25
Great ! Thanks for the translation djandy. And thanks to Festizzio.. Man, I've tried downloading 2 different MVSCs but both were not ok.. Strangely your method worked. I don't care how.. Haw Haw..

Now, on with another problem I found.. It seemed to me.. I got my butt kicked almost everytime in SFA3.. Is there.. a way.. To.. Uh.. adjust the difficulty level ?

I can always blame the mini-button stick but let's be fair.. haw haw..

Festizzio
August 15th, 2006, 11:40
Great ! Thanks for the translation djandy. And thanks to Festizzio.. Man, I've tried downloading 2 different MVSCs but both were not ok.. Strangely your method worked. I don't care how.. Haw Haw..

Now, on with another problem I found.. It seemed to me.. I got my butt kicked almost everytime in SFA3.. Is there.. a way.. To.. Uh.. adjust the difficulty level ?

I can always blame the mini-button stick but let's be fair.. haw haw..
Hey, no problem. about sfa3, me too, i just deleted it off my ms, it's not worth my time lol. Also, test 5 is out now, check it out: http://neocdz.hp.infoseek.co.jp/psp/cps2.html

Baboon
August 15th, 2006, 12:23
Hey, no problem. about sfa3, me too, i just deleted it off my ms, it's not worth my time lol. Also, test 5 is out now, check it out: http://neocdz.hp.infoseek.co.jp/psp/cps2.html

Ideal! :)

Bugger... im at work for another 5 hours so I cant actualy downlaod it yet. :(

aries2k4
August 15th, 2006, 12:38
Cool, unfortunately I´m off to work also, will only be able to try it tonight.
Keep ém coming NJ!!!

wilbur
August 15th, 2006, 13:55
ON TOPIC -this rocks, screw my day job, i'm just testing this now.

OFF TOPIC -does anyone remember a side scrolling game where there's a jeep on the ground and a helicopter supporting it in the air? i loved that game-was it arcade or console?

QueadlunnRau
August 15th, 2006, 15:12
ON TOPIC -this rocks, screw my day job, i'm just testing this now.

OFF TOPIC -does anyone remember a side scrolling game where there's a jeep on the ground and a helicopter supporting it in the air? i loved that game-was it arcade or console?

The game was called "Silkworm". It was for both the NES and Arcade. That game kicked donkey balls. :D