PDA

View Full Version : PlayStation Move to outsell Kinect's "limited control"

wraggster
August 5th, 2010, 21:13
The upcoming motion-controlled gaming wars will be won by Sony it is expected after a survey of UK gamers showed the PlayStation Move is set to outsell Mircosoft’s Kinect offering by a considerable margin.

The survey carried out by sales website Groupola found that out of 2,000 UK gamers questioned 77 per cent of PlayStation 3 owners were looking to get their hands on Move whilst just 23 per cent of Xbox 360 users were planning on splashing out for the controller-less Kinect peripheral.

Whilst Groupola’s Managing Director, Mark Pearson has pinned this swing in the favour of Move on Kinect’s high-end £129.99 price tag, Dr Richard Marks, creator of the PlayStation Move technology and former Sony EyeToy, believes it is to do with the limitations of controller-less gaming.

Speaking exclusively with T3, Dr Marks said: “I think it depends if you believe that controller-less is necessarily better which I don’t believe. I created the technology for EyeToy which we made a controller-less device and it was really neat and it enabled new things but it is not the end-all, be-all in control, we entered limits with that and I think without a controller you run into limits of what you can enable.”

He added: “You can do things like track the whole body, you can have dancing and exercise but a lot of the core gameplay ideas that we want to see happen and want to enable just weren’t possible with only a camera. We would have done that, we look at as much as we could do with just a camera but it wasn’t the right choice we felt.”

Sony’s PlayStation Move will also benefit from an increased sales period over Kinect when it hits UK shelves a full two months before the Microsoft offering on September 19th.

http://www.t3.com/news/playstation-move-to-outsell-kinects-limited-control?=47803