PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft fighting to sell 360 in China

Shrygue
August 10th, 2010, 20:26
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=259345)

Despite being manufactured in China, the current generation of home consoles are illegal in the giant country - and have been since 2000. However, Microsoft is currently lobbying to sell the 360 in China.

Microsoft China exec, Zhang Yaqin, told Shanghai Daily that the company is continuing efforts to acquire approval but ultimately "it all depends on the government".

The decision to allow the legal sale of Microsoft's games console will involve acquiring approval from "several government bureaus".

Although it is still unclear why consoles are banned, a Niko Partners researcher recently said that the government felt that this action would prevent the youth from wasting their mind.

"The government thought that was the best way to protect Chinese youth from wasting their minds on video games, after a parental outcry".

Not only is the Xbox 360 banned in China, but Chinese law has also blocked the sale of Microsoft's Kinect.

symbal
August 10th, 2010, 23:22
I really hate to say it but i do kinda agree with a lot of the restrictions on the Chinese people. They went from strict communism to a fairly open economy in less than a decade, so too much freedom too quick can be seriously dangerous so they need slowly easing into it.

Eviltaco64
August 10th, 2010, 23:38
They are about 5 years late, though. By now, the Chinese grey market is surely littered with 360s, and the grey market prices would probably be much cheaper than official prices.

kojiro7
August 11th, 2010, 02:29
chinese have xbox 360 unofficialy for many years
they sell xbox 360 copies as cheap as 50cents
I saw it with my own eyes when I was in China

trigazer
August 14th, 2010, 13:19
thats great but there are other ways to waste yr mind. they should have banned personal computers especiallly how people waste away playing MMORPGs, time wasting senarios on youtube, and flash animation( dont get me wrong i like them all). i had a roommate who played MMORPGS if there were no tomorrow and still 400 lbs. Its a matter of how they choose their time. I like monster hunter for the psp because its MMO on the go. lol. if they really wanted control they should put a time lock on in the firmware. 2 hours a day then shut it off. lol or at least sell the wii because it promotes health.