PDA

View Full Version : Why is there no divx player for PSP?

gimpyjr
August 13th, 2006, 06:14
Divx is the best video codec out there. Imagine having high quality video in a small file size. Can someone please bring divx to PSP please.

Video_freak
August 13th, 2006, 06:15
Yes, that would be awesome. I think there are some, but they don't work well. :(

ACID
August 13th, 2006, 06:23
It will be nice to have divx

ninja9393
August 13th, 2006, 06:27
divx rocks
whats the diffrence between xvid and divx?

BrooksyX
August 13th, 2006, 08:54
What would be sweet is if someone wrote a special divx.prx file that was loaded up with devhook that allowed you to watch it through the video player in the xmb. (probably not possible but its nice to wish)

gimpyjr
August 13th, 2006, 09:50
I didn't say anything about coding one myself thank you but I think it would be great if somone would do this. It is very easy to transfer DVD to Divx and with it's compression technology I think the image could be quite clean with a decent file size. If an app was made to use the media engine and the CPU clocked at 333MHZ I would imagine that we would get smooth playback.

razero.we
August 13th, 2006, 13:02
divx rocks
whats the diffrence between xvid and divx?
XVID is the first format, DIVX is just another format...
both is often .avi files...

yaustar
August 13th, 2006, 16:33
DivX was around first but wasn't opensource. Xvid decided to make a codec that was similar to DivX in terms of compression and quality and made it fully open source. A bit like MP3 and OGG.

razero.we
August 13th, 2006, 17:46
xvid was first and divx was second and are 2 different codecs

yaustar
August 13th, 2006, 18:06
xvid was first and divx was second and are 2 different codecs
*sigh* They are BOTH MPEG4 codecs. DivX was closed source and Xvid was Opensource under GPL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DivX

While DivX has long been renowned for its excellent video quality, its open-source equivalent XviD, also based on MPEG-4 Part 2, now offers comparable quality. In a series of subjective quality tests at Doom9.org, the DivX codec was beaten by XviD in the 2003, 2004, and 2005 tests.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DivX

DivX ;-) 3.22 and earlier versions generally refer to a hacked version of the Microsoft MPEG-4 Version 3 video codec, extracted around 1998 by French hacker Jerome Rota (also known as Gej). The Microsoft codec, which originally required that the compressed output be put in an ASF file, was altered to allow other containers such as AVI.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XviD

In January 2001, DivXNetworks founded OpenDivX as part of Project Mayo which was intended to be a home for open source multimedia projects.
It was after this that a fork of OpenDivX was created, using the latest version of encore2 that was downloaded before it was removed. Since then, all the openDivX code has been replaced and XviD has been published under the GPL.
I rest my case.

NoQuarter
August 13th, 2006, 18:23
Thanx for the info yaustar:)

Ducklord
August 13th, 2006, 18:38
It all started with a hacked version of Microsofts ASF, called "Div-X 3.11a ;-)" (WITH the smiley).

It spread like wildfire...

The hacker behind it saw the success of the hacked codec, realized that there was a market for something like this and created the "official DivX project", assembling a team and worked, at the same time, at an open and a closed source version of it. The closed-source team was releasing the changes to the code quite frequently, and was taking code and ideas from the open-source version. At some time, when the codec was mature enough, they decided to terminate the open-source version.

After that, different groups were created. Some tried the comercial, others the open-source way, hoping to create an alternative. The most... er... stubborn ones, assembled under the Xvid flag (hence the name, poking fun at DivX) and created a codec that isn't (or at least, wasn't - see bellow) just a viable alternative to DivX, but in many ways better than it.

Both of them are based on MPEG4, so they are not only similar, but 95% compatible. Compatibility is an issue only when using "non-standard-features" they each have - but, if I'm not mistaken, XviD tries to be 100% compatible with the MPEG4 standard. They are not, though, the only MPEG4 codecs.

It all comes down to MPEG4. We have MPEG4 in PSP, so, we have some-kind-of-DivX on it. There IS, as far as I remember, an XviD player for PSP, and the quality is almost exactly the same as DivX.

...and here comes the "see bellow" that I told you earlier...

XviD isn't developed as agressively as before, since the release of the first H264 compatible codecs. H264 is an extension (but better think of it as a tottally different codec) to the MPEG4 standard of encoding. It manages to squeeze a heck of a lot of better quality in smaller sizes than ALL of the MPEG4-based codecs (DivX included). It needs, though, a lot of processing power. But, if I'm not mistaken... PSP has H264 acceleration, doesn't it? We have H264 encoders for PSP, don't we? So, dear friends, the choice is really simple!

...now, the only thing that remains for me, is to find how the heck to play H264 encoded vids through Devhooks emulated 2.71 firmware (since H.264 support was added to PSP after the 2.01 firmware - before that, it only had MPEG4 support).

Best regards
Ducklord

P.S.: Pardon my use of the English language and possible spelling or gramar mistakes, since it's not my native language. And, ofcourse, I sould point out that I'm not in any way affiliated with any company, programmers, groups or other people in the "codec business", Sony or even know how to code. I just used Divx a loooong time (since the first, hacked version).

shadow77
August 13th, 2006, 18:57
Because PMP mod already exists.. and it plays xvid, divx, and avc in full speed. However if the res is too high you will need to resize the video to 480x272, otherwise you just load up the pmp container app which muxes the video and audio into a pmp format. Takes a matter of 3 minutes or less if your source is already 480x272 or lower.

razero.we
August 13th, 2006, 19:49
You are right, i did remember wrong... sry

zenith828
November 13th, 2007, 00:57
http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3458622/PSP_-_Exceptional_AVI_Player(Divx_Xvid)__Brand_New_

Naeem
February 26th, 2008, 22:05
open divx with psp tube it works for me.

AdamRav
February 26th, 2008, 22:43
i'd rather convert to the pmp format and play the files that way

either way your gonna be converting files

pmp results in smaller files sizes anyway

and watch the pmp movie files with pmplayer advance

works great