PDA

View Full Version : Has Sony Got Coders Running Scared?

wraggster
August 13th, 2006, 10:24
Im sure im not the only one who has noticed it but since Sony went after Devhook there has been a slow down in releases for the PSP scene, is it because of Sony or is it just the summer months or worst still is it because they have moved onto new projects or bored with the PSP.

What do you think ?

ACID
August 13th, 2006, 10:28
I think its the summer. NJ is still working & ZX is trying his hardest to get VBAGBA to full power.
I am hopping someone atempts to do raine. I tryed and fell. Then again i dont have much time to code now days.

acn010
August 13th, 2006, 10:35
True, Mostly Everybody Is On Vacation, And Soon Am I

Voltron
August 13th, 2006, 10:58
An interesting issue to be raised but I don't think this is the case. It is so easy for us to take for granted and forget about the many great accomplishments throughout PSP homebrews history.

After the huge surge of releases in June & July I would not be too concerned if August sees a slowdown.

After all, don't the coders deserve a breaK and/or a vacation? I think so.

I still continue to believe that it is just a big myth that Sony is going to try and shut down homebrew and go after homebrew sites.

The issue with DevHook was not really about DevHook. It had to do with one of Sony's copyrighted firmware files being included and hosted on a site.

DevHook is not dead and I'm sure we will see plenty more from the genius that is Booster.

I also think that a lot of people are waiting for Sony's next move. I would not be surprised if once Sony releases their version of a PSOne EMU that we see another huge surge of releases on the homebrew front to show who is still boss when it comes to homebrew & emulation.

A big thanks to all of the coders, developers, artists, etc. who are working to make PSP homebrew better and better.

blaz3d
August 13th, 2006, 11:03
i heard booster was still developing, he just isnt releasing. neway its just everyones on holiday

TheSerpentMage
August 13th, 2006, 11:04
DevHook stops coming out after 1) firmware 2.8 is released and 2) Sony issueing the cease and desist. Any real reason to update DevHook, other then a couple bug fixes, short of getting 2.8 working? Either Booster is laying low, or he's hard at work, or both.

tophead420
August 13th, 2006, 11:19
lol well i dont know i have noticed the slow down latly and imm hoping booster istill working on devhook and will some how release new work if he has any and i hope things speed up soon

pspfan
August 13th, 2006, 11:20
I don't think coders are scared. DevHook had an illegal file, most homebrew doesn't have illegal files packaged with it.

The reason for the slow releases is because there are three coding competitions going on right now.

Kramer
August 13th, 2006, 11:25
Theres always these slowdowns it got pretty slow just before the 2.5/2.6 downgrader after that it went crazy.
At least we know StrmnNrmn is still coding away and he is releasing r7 today:D

jwilds73
August 13th, 2006, 11:35
Ok we get enough "fear" shoved down our throat from the goverment. As far as I understand Devhook as Pspfan brought out was simply distributed with a copyrighted file on Boosters site so they were legal in going after that fact. However there is nothing they can do to prevent Devhook from being made and distributed without any Sony files. It will then fall on us to decrypt and disassemble the latest firmware to work with Devhook. Which will be easy enough. The coders coding all the wonderful homebrew programs are not idiots and they know this fact also. As long as they aren't distributing bios files, roms and disc images with their programs they are perfectly legal to make and distribute them. How we aquire the said files to use the programs is up to us. So no, no one is scared no one is holding back from releasing anything out of fear. It's just a lull period we are in right now.

mr_nick666
August 13th, 2006, 11:49
I agree with the general concensus that its just a holiday thing :) Its been a good summer here in the UK and (for me personally) Ive spent half the time on the PSP and the PC that I would in the autumn/winter :o Time will tell...

ACID
August 13th, 2006, 12:16
I still hope is just the vacation time of summer they do deserve a break. As for booster his devhook didn't include an illegal file it was added on. Yes he knows of the capability's of devhook but he didn't release it for those reasons. If you read this booster or dark-alex keep up the great work never surrender to Sony's halo threats.

NoQuarter
August 13th, 2006, 12:49
I agree with acid burn lets hope none of of our great coders suucumb to pressure from the man.I think we've seen lulls longer than this one,besides do we really wan't to emulate 2.8 it's not that great of an update.We're still seeing updates and info on some great releases.

ACID
August 13th, 2006, 12:52
i agree 2.8 is not a great update and right now theres only one game i think been releaset that uses this in the next couple of months.

NoQuarter
August 13th, 2006, 13:04
I was thinking the slowdown in releases was coming a couple of weeks ago,with sony preparing their ps1 emu and all.this is really no surprise.

moogster66
August 13th, 2006, 13:14
Sony should be grateful, I'll say it again, GRATEFUL, that the coders out there are able to program for the psp. And the homebrew scene is flourishing like it is. The PSP would be dead, and almost a memory by now if it wasn't for them! Sony should be paying them, not looking for ways to "Go after them"!

Thanks to all the coders who made my investment in the PSP worthwhile, and not another waste of money on a dead video game system!

NoQuarter
August 13th, 2006, 13:21
Amen to that,but unfortunetly I don't think sony is greatful:(
Heck even their licensee's are jumping ship,so something is going on internaly.At least that's what I think.

gamesquest1
August 13th, 2006, 13:27
nah moogster & noquarter as many people know hardware sales are not what keeps a company running as many people seem to think, its the sales they make on UMD as virtually every console is sold at a considerable loss, which means they need each person who owns a psp to buy plenty of games....i know for a fact this dosnt happen if people play homebrew ... i know because i own 2 UMD's one is the demo and one is liberty city stories which i have shared with most of my friends and family to use the downgrader. so now i know only 1 of them owns more than 3 games so as i see it sony does need to stop people buying the console just for homebrew.....for themselves like not what i personally want

lordhelmchen00
August 13th, 2006, 13:29
The funny thing is ... devhook brought money from me to Sony and Software publishers! I have 2 psps, but I never upgrade any of them because of the cool homebrew (SNES ad-hoc, NeoGeo etc.) out there. After devhook came out, I bought Outrun2006, RocoLoco and GTA, because I was finally able to play the games on my PSP. I furthermore plan to buy Tekken, Extreme Ghouls'n'Goblins and E3 (if they're not going to be firmware 2.8).

Well, without devhook, I would still only enjoy emulators and early PSP games. So, Sony should thank devhook! I personally think that homebrew will not be stopped by sony. If sony will stop homebrew, it's the legit homebrew that is affected. The more they try to stop ISOS, the underground scene gets more attracted to get them onto the PSP (just a suspicion); the forbidden fruit thing. I think they have already lost against piracy (which is a pitty).

NoQuarter
August 13th, 2006, 13:33
I disargee gamesquest because:
after a certain amount of hardware consoles are produced the production costs drop.The company only loses money at first. As more people buy the console the company starts to turn a profit on it.IMHO.
wouldn't make much business sense any other way

Tekken is a great buy!Which I wounldn't have been able to buy without devhook!
I actualy got into a pretty nasty arguement with a good friend over piracy and my friend went and shelled out the money after it,Would'nt want to screw my fav game company(Namco) plus tekken comes with a dpad attachment which is a must even for homebrew.

slayer2psp
August 13th, 2006, 13:41
you will see devhook with 2.80 firmware support as soon as we need it. no 2.80 games are out yet so why no wait intill we need it. that way it will take sony longer to update this time and ruin the psp again and again with there damn updates

NoQuarter
August 13th, 2006, 13:45
Hopefully we can just skip that crappy 2.8 update,not to mention we don't need to give sony any more free security information.Plus I see some pretty bad security holes for endusers enabled with the release of 2.8,namely botnets.
I think the new modules were sony's way of getting around installing rootkits as these would surely be discovered as they were on their music cd's

gamesquest1
August 13th, 2006, 13:50
pretty sure sony know all the information they need......encrypt the files diffrently each time and were buggered untill they are unencrypted.......also wtf is with the psp modchip thought that was all amazing and fabulous and would work on any firmware .....errr i reckon they just wait for the homebrew scene to decrypt the files the lazy ba*tards.........i was hoping the modchip being released would help produce faster decryped firmwares looks like they basically leaches of the hombrews hard work....then come out with .....well we could have done it aswell:confused:

NoQuarter
August 13th, 2006, 13:57
I seriously doubt sony has all the security information they need,it's a one up game.As for the modchip it's just too risky,expensive and hard to install.I think sony are the one's who leach off homebrew.If everybody knew all the security information there would be no blackhat conference!
I think the ta-082 caused problems for the modchip as well,could be wrong about that though as I don't plan on getting one.

Faster decrytpted firmware is a blessing and a curse.

SSaxdude
August 13th, 2006, 14:37
I hate how Sony is trying to scare everyone to obey by their rules. Corporations are getting too much power and influence in today's world.

NoQuarter
August 13th, 2006, 14:42
Agreed SSaxdude,very much to the point.Our current economic model is broken and freedom is the only way to fix it

SSaxdude
August 13th, 2006, 14:44
Everyone who doesn't think corportations are power hungry, find out why they hate net neutrality.

NoQuarter
August 13th, 2006, 14:49
Dude, you are right on the mark!
If coorporations weren't allowed to copyright intellectual property there would be no piracy.

gamesquest1
August 13th, 2006, 15:34
i dont know what most peoples problems are i realise you dislike sony for being so agressive against homebrew but you have to realise they need people to buy there games not play other peoples.
also if they had no rights regarding there systems im pretty sure they wouldnt be arsed making a bloody psp for people to say i own it so ill illegally play all your games. if they had the right to say playing homebrew games was illegal then you could moan about it.

but as it stands face it anything they have paid to develop means they have an investment in it.
you dont moan when you pay extras such as vat on things .....well you do but face it it happes live with it, and try to get past security to play homebrew without going too far and breaking the law to do so.........or do i dont care do what you like just that sony dont like it and makes them more determand to stop hombrew

Voltron
August 13th, 2006, 15:38
after a certain amount of hardware consoles are produced the production costs drop.The company only loses money at first. As more people buy the console the company starts to turn a profit on it.IMHO.

You are exactly right. In business, this is called "economies of scale" which basically means the savings from manufacturing, marketing, or buying in large quantities.

With 20 million PSP's now shipped/sold worldwide, I doubt Sony is still taking a hit from hardware sales. Also, I just read recently that the PSP is number 4 on the list of top 10 tech gadgets being bought as "back to school" items from high-school / college students.

But out of 20 million PSP's does anyone know how many are used for homebrew? I'm willing to bet its less than a million. I wouldn't doubt if more and more people are using their PSP's for homebrew as time goes on and more people learn about it. Also, if ISO loading is hurting the PSP as much as some people think, and there were millions pirating away, Sony would no doubt be taking a serious hit and their wrath against homebrew would be 10-fold.

The best thing us fellow homebrewers can do to sustain the PSP homebrew craze is to keep generating buzz over it and introducing more and more people to PSP homebrew.

KxPloit, MPH downgrader, Fanjita & Ditlew, Dark_AleX, Booster and others have helped pave the way for MANY more people to enjoy homebrew. We owe them so much.

gamesquest1
August 13th, 2006, 15:48
You are exactly right. In business, this is called "economies of scale" which basically means the savings from manufacturing, marketing, or buying in large quantities.

With 20 million PSP's now shipped/sold worldwide, I doubt Sony is still taking a hit from hardware sales. Also, I just read recently that the PSP is number 4 on the list of top 10 tech gadgets being bought as "back to school" items from high-school / college students.

But out of 20 million PSP's does anyone know how many are used for homebrew? I'm willing to bet its less than a million. I wouldn't doubt if more and more people are using their PSP's for homebrew as time goes on and more people learn about it. Also, if ISO loading is hurting the PSP as much as some people think, and there were millions pirating away, Sony would no doubt be taking a serious hit and their wrath against homebrew would be 10-fold.

The best thing us fellow homebrewers can do to sustain the PSP homebrew craze is to keep generating buzz over it and introducing more and more people to PSP homebrew.

KxPloit, MPH downgrader, Fanjita & Ditlew, Dark_AleX, Booster and others have helped pave the way for MANY more people to enjoy homebrew. We owe them so much.

Yeah i agree with you obviously they are making a profit but mainly off software sales and if they where taking no action against this soon everybody would soon know about it and it spreads rapidly..i should know i told a few friends and family and now i know at least 30 odd people who have all used my gta liberty city stories to downgrade and play homebrew and :rolleyes: such:rolleyes: so as you know the easier it is to do it the more people do it so sony have to crack down because it does spread such as softmodding with the xbox millions of xboxs where soft modded that way because it was free, and offered such great features which tempted so many people to do it once they found out about it and the worst thing was that xbox couldnt stop that 1 because there was so many splinter cell games made before they found the exploit so as you can see sony has to take as much action as they can its up to us to get past what they throw at us

SSaxdude
August 13th, 2006, 15:48
The hard part about getting people's interest into homebrew is they don't listen. That or they whine about having all the new "features" of new firmware updates.

gamesquest1
August 13th, 2006, 15:52
well once you show people your psp doin all the shit it can doo i know loads of people using devhook and that because i showed them how to do it ive even been paid by a pew of my mates of mates lol so if eveybody flaunts there psp you shound hopefully get quite a few new psp hombrewers to the scene and save a few psp's souls lol

tallica
August 13th, 2006, 16:00
No it just feels like there is a lack of new releases because in july homebrew went crazy.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
August 13th, 2006, 16:16
I think $ONY breathing down some coders necks has put them off and making them lie low for the time being.Like other peeps have said at the moment we have no need for 2.80 so i doubt we will see it decrypted in the iminent future I just hope this isnt the end of homebrew as we know it.

yaustar
August 13th, 2006, 16:45
Quite frankly, there is one sole reason why I am developing on the GP2X rather then the PSP. Its because I can't be bothered to screw around the firmware issues surrounding the machine. A lot fo the releases nowadays is to do with trying to get the current homebrew running on the newer machines and from my point of view, it is just not worth the effort to develop for a platform that continuely locks home development out.

On the GP2X, everyone is focused on trying to get the best out of the machine and playing each other's applications, games and emulators. A far cry from the current PSP situation where users are divided from deciding to upgrade to play the latest games or wait for DevHook support and keep homebrew.

NoQuarter
August 13th, 2006, 16:50
Good point yaustar,I might consider getting one if it's not too much.Besides seems like the company has the right idea.

Voltron
August 13th, 2006, 18:05
Good point yaustar,I might consider getting one if it's not too much.Besides seems like the company has the right idea.

Assuming we are talking about 1.50 PSP's, isn't homebrew at a much greater level on the PSP than the GP2X? I find it hard to believe that there are BETTER homebrew apps, & emulators on the GP2X seeing how great they are on the PSP.

If I'm wrong, correct me. Or if someone knows of any emulators that are available for both the PSP & GP2X but the GP2X version is far better, I'd be interested in knowing.

NoQuarter
August 13th, 2006, 18:12
I just did some reading on the GP2X,I don't know what quality the apps and emulators are at wtithout actually playing one.The thing that impresses me the most is the use of linux and the GPL,although there are some issues with that.Also the fact it comes with a devkit, they openly support homebrew.
I'll always have my psp 1.5.I'm not giving up that sexy machine,my main problem is just the way sony is doing business.

Basil Zero
August 13th, 2006, 18:29
I'm thinking there's going to be a LARGE AMOUNT of Homebrew releases right around Nov-Dec 2006.

shadow77
August 13th, 2006, 18:35
Some people need to get it through their heads that Devhook has never contained any illegal files ..

Booster was not affected at all by the cease and desist order .. that was the site admin because a user had uploaded an illegal file which was a 1.5 REBOOT.BIN

Booster also cannot do anything until 2.8 is decrypted.. so there is really no reason for releasing a new ver right now.

NoQuarter
August 13th, 2006, 18:35
When the homebrew ps1 emu comes out I'll consider my stocking full!Not to mention N64.
I'm happy where we're at as far as devhook is concerned.
I can't really compain about the lack of releases as I have a ton of stuff I downloaded but haven't tried yet.
Honestly I don't think the coders are running scared,just timing their releases aproprietly.

Video_freak
August 13th, 2006, 18:50
Homebrew so far has got me satisfied. I would have never guessed when I first bought my PSP that I could run fullspeed GB, GBC, (almost GBA), NES, and SNES games. If N64 and PSOne come, I'll be extatic. ;) The fact that we can already emulate higher firmwares on 1.5 PSP's is also really nice...:)

rock_light
August 13th, 2006, 19:07
umm just recently have any developers mentioned that
they are basically finished (in regards to some of those arcade emus) Dont forget a lot of these 'authors' are porting source code. Now they have done some amazing things on the psp but they can only go so far if they never had the ability to write it themselves. (Only a guess though! They still know more than I ever will)

I'm willing to bet the original authors of the source probobly would have done a better job had they originally designed for psp. (or maybe not maybe psp is just a lot harder to do. its certainly not as fast as most pc)

We should be expecting another n64 release pretty soon. probobly another gba too anyways.

And why would devhook support 2.80? Are there any games that require this yet?

yaustar
August 13th, 2006, 19:23
Assuming we are talking about 1.50 PSP's, isn't homebrew at a much greater level on the PSP than the GP2X? I find it hard to believe that there are BETTER homebrew apps, & emulators on the GP2X seeing how great they are on the PSP.

If I'm wrong, correct me. Or if someone knows of any emulators that are available for both the PSP & GP2X but the GP2X version is far better, I'd be interested in knowing.
That wasn't the point. It's the difference in attitude from the companies that makes my development on the GP2X (despite it being 'slower' then the PSP) much more enjoyable. I don't have to worry about it being playable on X,Y,Z firmware.

As far as emulation goes, its 50/50. The extra 32 mb of ram helps the GP2X on emulators such as MAME and Neo Geo MVS but the SNES emulation (for example) doesn't match the PSPs.

Youtube video of GP2X:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_NrTS_ut74

NoQuarter
August 13th, 2006, 19:26
Definitly much better plan than the way sony approached the psp.

Video_freak
August 13th, 2006, 19:26
Thanls for the link yaustar, I want a GP2X now :D

yaustar
August 13th, 2006, 19:29
Just make sure you do some research before hand though to make sure its the Handheld for you.

Here is a good start: http://newbie.gp32x.de/gp2x/index.htm

Video_freak
August 13th, 2006, 19:30
The XGP mini looks so cool too....:o

Voltron
August 13th, 2006, 19:31
I would have never guessed when I first bought my PSP that I could run fullspeed GB, GBC, (almost GBA), NES, and SNES games.

Don't forget Neo Geo CD, PC Engine (Turbo Grafx), and SEGA Genesis among others, LOL. Can't forget those great EMU's.

I also had no idea the PSP would be so great. I bought mine on launch day before homebrew even existed. I truly think its the best purchase I've ever made because not only do I love homebrew, I love commercial PSP games.

That wasn't the point. It's the difference in attitude from the companies that makes my development on the GP2X (despite it being 'slower' then the PSP) much more enjoyable. I don't have to worry about it being playable on X,Y,Z firmware.

I hear ya on the firmware updates & multiple firmwares. I strongly believe that everyone into PSP homebrew should downgrade their PSP to 1.50. Homebrew with the eLoader only works up to firmware 2.60. However with a 1.50 PSP, you can also turn it into a 2.71 PSP with DevHook.

Video_freak
August 13th, 2006, 19:32
That's right Voltron, I just never used those. I gotta get my hands on them :D

NoQuarter
August 13th, 2006, 19:32
Crap if this keeps up I'm gonna have a backpack full of portable devices!

Video_freak
August 13th, 2006, 19:33
I was thinking about that too...
Maybe a PSP will do for now?

NoQuarter
August 13th, 2006, 19:35
You really should give neocd a try,Easily some of the best 2d games ever made IMO.

Video_freak
August 13th, 2006, 19:36
I will. I have to "own" the game first though... ;)

F9zDark
August 13th, 2006, 19:37
wouldn't make much business sense any other way.

Unfortunately he is right. If consoles made money for those that made them, then we wouldn't see as many games at launch or even a continual supply of them as time went on. Lets just say the PSP costs Sony 300 dollars to produce. They sell it for 250 USD. Thats 50 dollars lost for evey PSP sold.

Time goes on, production costs reduce to 275 USD. Still, Sony in the net loss, now losing 25 USD per console. Christmas rolls around, PSP price drops to 200, even though the console is still costing Sony 275 to produce!

They lower the price because they want more people to buy the PSP, since the more people who have the PSP, the more likely Sony will sell games for the PSP. Thats the whole console mentality.

With a system like the PS2, ok, Sony is definately raking in some profit on that. The production costs are probably dirt cheap now. But a company cannot wait 5+ years to seeing a profit on the console itself. Thats why there needs to be games.

NoQuarter
August 13th, 2006, 19:46
There does need to be games,just not constant rahashing of old ideas.I really like the way GP2X set things up with support for homebrew out of the box as well as commercial releases.I think I'll get one when my finances allow.Got my heart set on DS lite first though.
Ebay is good place to look for Neocd games Video freak.
My friend found a rare PC engine game there in pristine condition:
Dracula X

yaustar
August 13th, 2006, 19:46
I hear ya on the firmware updates & multiple firmwares. I strongly believe that everyone into PSP homebrew should downgrade their PSP to 1.50. Homebrew with the eLoader only works up to firmware 2.60. However with a 1.50 PSP, you can also turn it into a 2.71 PSP with DevHook.
The problem is, what about 6 months down the line. What will Sony do then? It is difficult to predict the future on the PSP and the uncertainity does drive potential developers away. But I agree that 1.5 PSPs are great for homebrew, I have a few friends here playing about with developing on it and see what it can do performence wise.

There does need to be games,just not constant rahashing of old ideas.I really like the way GP2X set things up with support for homebrew out of the box as well as commercial releases.I think I'll get one when my finances allow.Got my heart set on DS lite first though.
Given that you have a PSP for homebrew, at present I would advise you to get the DS lite just because the commerical games for the DS are pretty good overall. Come just after December I be hopefully looking at some decent original games for the GP2X: http://www.psymastr.com/gp2x/

Voltron
August 13th, 2006, 19:53
And why would devhook support 2.80? Are there any games that require this yet?
No games yet require 2.80. The game that requires the highest firmware is the new F1 Grand Prix game. I think that comes with a 2.70 or 2.71 update.

As far as 2.80 firmware features, I don't care about Video RSS feeds, but I thought I read that 2.80 firmware allows you to name your video files whatever you want now. Instead of having to name the video "MAQ12345.MP4", you could name it "Sopranos Episode 1". Also, the location in which videos are placed may have changed. If anyone can confirm or deny this I'd be interested to know.

jak66
August 13th, 2006, 19:58
both are true voltron, the folder you put videos in is the 'VIDEO' folder in the root of the memorystick,although some videos work others dont

doverkiller
August 13th, 2006, 19:59
watch out for autumn!
homebrew scene will have more releases, then sony, nintendo, and ms together.. lol :D

gamesquest1
August 13th, 2006, 19:59
does anybody get the impression that sony wernt initially going to allow your own videos on it but so many people bought it for that and the custom directory and file names went public too quick for them to stop it so they couldnt remove it as there would be an outrage off everyone....because thats the only reason i saw for the silly file names maybe you where only ment to be able to download there content ....or at least that was there idea

does anybody have any idea if the jap models instructions included them directory names and that

EvilDooinz
August 13th, 2006, 20:07
World tour soccer demo is 2.8 + only eboot

NoQuarter
August 13th, 2006, 20:20
Well I have the max media video converter which came out right around launch.I don't know if this is a licensed product but if it is that means sony intended people to know about the vids.Cause sony blocked the release of the 3rd party keyboard by not giving the dev's of it some particular code.
Pretty odd naming system on those psp vids though

Voltron
August 13th, 2006, 20:55
both are true voltron, the folder you put videos in is the 'VIDEO' folder in the root of the memorystick,although some videos work others dont
Thank you for that post and confirmation. I was really curious about that. That would be much more convenient than the current naming system and file placement.

does anybody get the impression that sony wernt initially going to allow your own videos on it but so many people bought it for that and the custom directory and file names went public too quick for them to stop it so they couldnt remove it as there would be an outrage off everyone....because thats the only reason i saw for the silly file names maybe you where only ment to be able to download there content ....or at least that was there idea
I think you are right. Sony definitely had a download service planned or in mind which has obviously been incredibly delayed or put off. The same can be said about the GAME folder. We certainly utilize that plenty with homebrew but I wonder what SONY had in mind for it. I can't help but think that homebrew has shown SONY up and they went back to the drawing board many times after seeing the accomplishments of homebrew.

BazzaLB
August 13th, 2006, 21:18
DevHook stops coming out after 1) firmware 2.8 is released and 2) Sony issueing the cease and desist. Any real reason to update DevHook, other then a couple bug fixes, short of getting 2.8 working? Either Booster is laying low, or he's hard at work, or both.

AFAIK, they complained about 1 devhook fix package which contained a copyright file... One package!, they did NOT issue a cease and decist for DevHook Development. Why do people read things into news reports that aren't there?

mr_nick666
August 13th, 2006, 21:18
The same can be said about the GAME folder. We certainly utilize that plenty with homebrew but I wonder what SONY had in mind for it. I can't help but think that homebrew has shown SONY up and they went back to the drawing board many times after seeing the accomplishments of homebrew.

If you compare what has been achieved by homebrew (a running N64 emu for instance) it kind of puts $ony to shame :( I wonder if they even saw this potential? :confused: I doubt we'll ever find out what the GAME folder was truly intended for.... :rolleyes:

gainer4649
August 13th, 2006, 21:41
The file SONY claimed is not made by BOOSTER.
But, the file was uploaded on "PSP software" that was the only place BOOSTER uploaded his file.
(Because of the system of the uploader, I cannot tell who uploaded the illeagal file.)

"PSP software" was closed.
So, BOOSTER cannot update his DEVHOOK?
Yes, I think.
"PSP software" was renewed to "PSPnfo".
I believe he will upload the updated files on it.

Voltron
August 13th, 2006, 21:59
I doubt we'll ever find out what the GAME folder was truly intended for.... :rolleyes:
Well, maybe the PSOne games will be EBOOTS and automatically download to the GAME folder. We keep calling Sony's PSOne plans an "emulator" but it may not be that at all. The newer firmware could have the needed files (PRX's, codecs, etc.) to run the PSOne games in eBoot form.

I think that is a likely scenario regarding SONY's PSOne on PSP plans.

QueadlunnRau
August 14th, 2006, 15:52
The only thing I ph34r is ... Small animals ... but I carry Small Animal repellent ... Maybe Sony Coders should carry some Sony repellent.

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
August 14th, 2006, 16:37
i think they are on vacation, i just came back from spain ^^

MaxSMoke
August 15th, 2006, 17:09
I didn't think there is a slowdown. I hope Dev Hook will contunie, it's the life's blood of my PSP right now.