PDA

View Full Version : Rage on iPhone Revealed

Shrygue
August 12th, 2010, 23:52
via IGN (http://uk.wireless.ign.com/articles/111/1112043p1.html)

John Carmack took the stage at his annual QuakeCon keynote address to show off a little pet project of his. And what would that be? Rage running on the iPhone. What he showed is simply a tech demo that he created. It runs on an iPhone 4 -- and it looks fantastic.

The demo revealed a first-person view, with the player exploring an indoor environment typical of what you'd expect in Rage. The textures look great, though naturally the polygon count and animations have been reduced. Still, "Rage is going to be 100s of MBs," as a download according to Carmack. And he claims the tech is scalable, so that "it runs great on a regular 2G iPhone."

Now, what was shown wasn't actually a game, and it didn't appear to have a very interactive environment. "This is just my tech demo. We're in the process of bringing it into the game framework."

Carmack wants this to be a glamorous game that people show their friends as way of proving their iPhone or iPad is the best, and the plan is to make it affordable enough for everyone to do that. "We're going to do it as a smaller, cheaper title."

"This will be the first Rage title to come out, it should be out this year," said Carmack. Another Rage game for iPhone/iPad is said to be coming out around the time that the console and PC version of Rage launches in 2011.

ICE
August 13th, 2010, 17:05
Videos thus far have been crap but that demo looked beautiful.

symbal
August 13th, 2010, 23:53
Looks good but completely ruined by Apple's greedy restrictions of non expandable memory, i mean even i would give that ridiculous iPad a second look if they just gave the thing a usb host so you can hold big games, videos etc.