PDA

View Full Version : Sony dismisses rumours of PSP price cut

wraggster
August 14th, 2006, 17:53
News Via Gamesindustry (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=18944)

Following the emergence of rumours that a PSP price cut is imminent, a Sony representative has told GamesIndustry.biz that there are no plans to reduce the cost of the handheld at present.

The suggestion of a PSP price cut initially came from industry analyst P.J. McNealy, who told CNN Money: "There is a price cut coming in the second half of the year."

According to McNealy, the PSP "has lost momentum. Nintendo has had a great run since it launched the DS Lite and Sony needs to regain some ground." He believes that Sony will slash the price of the handheld in the US from US$199 to US$149 - bringing it closer to the DS price point of US$129.

But a Sony UK spokesperson told GI.biz: "Currently we have no plans to cut the price of the PSP at this time."

It's more likely that Sony will cut the price of the PlayStation 2, as predicted by other industry analysts. The console currently retails with an RRP of GBP 104.99 in the UK, but many retailers are already cutting the price to below the magic GBP 100 mark - and it's thought that Sony could well follow suit with an official price reduction in time for Christmas.

Ahh well, bleed us dry a bit more eh Sony

Video_freak
August 14th, 2006, 17:57
No.....you could have sold some more systems Sony :(

ACID
August 14th, 2006, 17:58
If they want to sell any they better do a price cut. Because numbers dont lie. NDS is crushing the PSP

Basil Zero
August 14th, 2006, 18:24
I am afraid to admit, but things are looking grim for Sony, especially the amount of price that the PS3 is, it seems like Sony's heading Sega's way.......unfortunately...

felonyr301
August 14th, 2006, 19:14
sony is relying on their name by thinking like this they think many customers would overlook the fact that its expensive and then maybe make some profit well sony wake up.

mcvader
August 14th, 2006, 19:30
if sony is stockpiling console hardware (PSP'S?) as i read in an earlier post about this price cut business,
then maybe (I'm Sure this is just wishfull thinking) , they'll bundle one with the PS3?. I doubt it though but i'm sure giving them away and making money from the games would be a better business move than having all this unsold hardware. with the PS3 priced at $1000 (I'm in Oz, but don't worry, I'm english;) ) this would give people more of an incentive to fork out that kinda $$. My freind brought a phone for $600 and gotta free IPOD so it's not impossible, but knowing sony:(

Video_freak
August 14th, 2006, 19:31
that's a good marketing technique mcvader. i know i would much more likly to buy a PS3 like that. :o

felonyr301
August 14th, 2006, 22:26
haha yea right thats a good one a free psp ill believe it when i see it.

Rocksil
August 14th, 2006, 22:34
NINTENDO MIGHT TAKE OVA

NDSL+WII=250+

PSP+PS3=600+

NinTendo Is CHEAP!!

s1k0
August 14th, 2006, 22:44
make psp cost less and games and more games:P

Video_freak
August 15th, 2006, 00:03
NINTENDO MIGHT TAKE OVA

NDSL+WII=250+

PSP+PS3=600+

NinTendo Is CHEAP!!
Their hardware technology isn't as advanced though. Nintendo is more for fun games, not graphivally superior games. :)

felonyr301
August 15th, 2006, 03:05
video freak has a point but in most people's mind when it comes to portable games its best to keep it simple and fun something you can pick up and play anytime of the day and also be addictive that can be play all day thats the key but with psp its just an console shrunked down to our pockets only reason we want more power without knowing it ourselves sometimes is that it brings more speed in the latest emulators like gba or n64 or you get the point ohh and being able to do stuff that requires quite a bit of power lol.

donne
August 15th, 2006, 04:38
Well yes, but look at my PSP now.. It's like the original Dream-team USA basketball member.. DGEN, SNES9XTYL, CPS1, CPS2, Ngepsp, PSPVBA. Next I'm going to install Daedalus (since it's now getting better) and perhaps Ng-CDZ and who knows, by the time I finished my re-run of Chrono and Front Mission, there'll be PSXP.

If you can't call it PORTABLE and SIMPLE, then I don't know what else..

felonyr301
August 15th, 2006, 05:23
thats what im trying to say thanks to homebrew it has become a nice portable machine but only thanks to homebrew remember donne if it was just sony stuff you would of been using it wouldnt not been the same.You have to see it in non-homebrew kinda of way i mean look at the DS its fun and simple without even saying anything about homebrew on it for the DS homebrew is icing on the cake.

JD/
August 16th, 2006, 09:39
I think wii is going to sell more because for nintendo fans theyll buy it because of the sequels to games like mario and zelda and sony will probably buy wii because of its much cheaper price..