PDA

View Full Version : Regional Variations for Games

Burdock
August 14th, 2006, 19:54
First of all ........... Hi ........... 1st post..... be gentle!

Bought my daughter a DS Lite a couple of weeks ago in the UK....... recently visited Turkey and bought a couple of Pokemon games for her (GBA). They seem to work OK until she saves....... when she starts the console again it doesn't offer a load game option...... she is now frustrated!

When I checked the games more closely, they are marked as N. American versions rather than European...... is this the problem? If so, is there a simple fix........ or am I knackered........?

I would appreciate any help / advice......... I am new to all this (as you can probably tell by my question!)

Regards...............

Video_freak
August 14th, 2006, 20:02
Nintendo DS games are not region locked. :) I don't know about GBA games though. :confused:

Burdock
August 14th, 2006, 20:16
Thanks for the quick reply........... having looked at the box again it states ' for sale, rental and use in USA, Canada, Mexico and Latin America' .......... so I guess the problem with the game is that it's region locked......... ???

dongle
August 14th, 2006, 21:03
No, there is no regional protection on GBA games. If you got them in Turkey, they're probably bootlegs. An inability to save properly is the most common problem with a pirated cart.

This thread details how to check for yourself:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=74898

Burdock
August 14th, 2006, 21:17
Thanks for that...... I am certain now I have 'bootlegged' games........ c'est la vie.......... I will put it down to experience I think!!

Video_freak
August 14th, 2006, 21:21
At least now you have the tools to know if it's bootlegged when you're in markets. ;)