PDA

View Full Version : SpiceBoy GB/GBC Emulator R0 Released!

wraggster
August 14th, 2006, 23:55
News from Arguru/PSP3D (http://psp3d.com/homepage-news/10830-spiceboy-gb-gbc-emulator-r0-released.html)

Arguru and PSP 3D have just released a new GameBoy/GameBoy Color homebrew emulator for PSP. Dubbed SpiceBoy, the emulator offers full speed FPS emulation of all GB/GBC ROMs. Though parts of the emulator were taken from InfoBOY, a Win32 GB/GBC emulator, most of the project has been handcoded/tweaked from the original project, and offers emulation as well as Homer's RIN (considering it's the first release, R0 (Release 0), coded in under a day).

A few things to note about SpiceBoy R0 are:
- There's no browser (user manually would have to replace: rom.gb).
- Sound is not synced with emulation properly.
- No savestates.

Other than that, SpiceBoy is a full-fledge, full speed GB/GBC emulator, and rest assured that a new version will be release shortly with a ROM browser, correctly synced sound, and possibly, savestates and multiplayer. Consider this a pre-mature, but working, release; it's a heck of a great job for one day's worth of work.

Download and Give feedback Via Comments

Video_freak
August 14th, 2006, 23:56
Nice emulator. Can't wait for updates. :)

felonyr301
August 15th, 2006, 00:09
seems nice like the sound of the multiplayer good ol pokemon action with some friends oh yes the good ol days when trading and battling was the name of the game lol.

Psphreak
August 15th, 2006, 00:35
I agree, multi-player will be dope

LAMPRO
August 15th, 2006, 00:44
any chance of .gba support?

Zion
August 15th, 2006, 00:46
Under a day? Woah thats some achivement :D

skater9269
August 15th, 2006, 00:57
wow im trying to learn c I suck

JKKDARK
August 15th, 2006, 01:03
great news :)

Kramer
August 15th, 2006, 01:24
cool i cant wait for multiplayer

pspfan
August 15th, 2006, 01:39
Multiplayer sounds excellent, but I'd rather someone just add multiplayer to RIN.

Mr. Shizzy
August 15th, 2006, 01:48
This is great news. (I'm an emulator junkie). I'll be looking out for updates.

PSP3D
August 15th, 2006, 02:18
Thanks for all the support. We will continue to work on this tomorrow, but that's it for today, esp. since Turrican is our main focus! ;)

GBA ROM support is a possibility, but is not planned specifically as of yet. We found a glitch which applies only to GBC ROMs, where the painting of pixels on the screen is incorrect. That problem should be fixed and released in an update tomorrow. The sound should also be fully fixed soon. And since speed is 100% in all games, there's really no more optimizations we can do to speed, heh. Thanks again, and look out for the fixes/updates.

Mr. Shizzy
August 15th, 2006, 02:26
Thanks for all the support.
GBA ROM support is a possibility, but is not planned specifically as of yet.

:eek: Really? And I was hoping for something as simple as a screenshot function! :D I'll be keeping a close eye on this!;) Thanks again!!!!:)

siulmagic
August 15th, 2006, 02:49
great release and yea gbc roms dont display in coloer but hey 1 day code'd cant have mroe =p but great release looking foward to you guys next update keep up the good work i havent tried eny gbc emu up till now i dono i jus tlike suporting new stuff heh

felonyr301
August 15th, 2006, 03:02
if it makes you feel better my first crack at learning c I suck too but with practice you get better and like they say its better to have try than not try at all.

Basil Zero
August 15th, 2006, 04:34
nice, bet the next update will be even better

CalvinDu
August 15th, 2006, 05:53
Nice stuff dude. Keep up the great work!

pkmaximum
August 15th, 2006, 07:05
Ughhh to many game boy color emulators, only interested if multiplayer support is eventually added =[ Don't see why RIN, or NJ doesn't have feelings for some nice ad hoc =[

gelon
August 15th, 2006, 09:55
Ummm i tested it with Donkey Kong Land III and it hangs wen i go into the water ... (bad colors also)

sirhax0r
August 15th, 2006, 10:12
Wow! 100% emulation! I hope the menu will be ready in the next release... This will be good with ad-hoc... and maybe infrastructure? That'd be good! Add in cheats, and Pokemon will never be the same...

gelon
August 15th, 2006, 10:56
Wow! 100% emulation! I hope the menu will be ready in the next release... This will be good with ad-hoc... and maybe infrastructure? That'd be good! Add in cheats, and Pokemon will never be the same...

RinUO have ad-hoc and it works perfec (222 mhz)

FarSight
August 15th, 2006, 13:25
Filters, Filters, Filters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would love to see above all in a PSP gameboy emulator some form of software filtering such as Scale2x or 2xsal. I know it drains mhz and would be unrealistic in a snes or MD emu, but the gb is less mhz intensive and needs it more, as the amount of pixels used was significantly less. When full screen in rin it looks very blocky. If we could combine a good software filter combined with the psps hardware scaling i thing it would look great.

Where as at the moment rin full screen looks crap!

Kramer
August 15th, 2006, 13:41
Filters, Filters, Filters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would love to see above all in a PSP gameboy emulator some form of software filtering such as Scale2x or 2xsal. I know it drains mhz and would be unrealistic in a snes or MD emu, but the gb is less mhz intensive and needs it more, as the amount of pixels used was significantly less. When full screen in rin it looks very blocky. If we could combine a good software filter combined with the psps hardware scaling i thing it would look great.

Where as at the moment rin full screen looks crap!

SNES9xTYL uses smoothing and it runs fine so a gameboy emulator should be able to do it easily.

FarSight
August 15th, 2006, 13:50
Thought SNESTYL filters the graphics using hardware????

MaxSMoke
August 15th, 2006, 16:50
Name one 8-bit emulator, or less, that doesn't run at full speed on a PSP. After all, these systems used 1Mhz processors and the PSP does 222Mhz (or up to 333Mhz with some coaxing).

Let's see somebody do something REALLY interesting with one of these ancient emulators, like play two games at once, or project the game on the sides of a spinning cube. Do that at 30fps, and THEN I'll be impressed!

Or, for a more useful touch, why not just wirelessly send another PSP owner the ROM's they might be missing? That and a wireless multi-player function would be pretty cool.

jak66
August 15th, 2006, 18:13
Ughhh to many game boy color emulators, only interested if multiplayer support is eventually added =[ Don't see why RIN, or NJ doesn't have feelings for some nice ad hoc =[

if you go to NJ's site you can download NesterJ 1.20 beta 2 which supports ad hoc (i have that version, but have noone to test the ad hoc out with)

Hungry Horace
August 15th, 2006, 19:56
now this -is- good news, since i discovered a few days ago that i cant get sound on any music-sequencing roms (little sound DJ / nanoloop) when loading them on Rin... which i had always thought was excellent.

bit wierd that i read this just moments after i have put my GameBoy back together, having given it a new blue LED. (which frankly needs to be brighter!)

p.s. i like the resolution without filters.... it's more accurate to the real thing!

pkmusicmaker
August 15th, 2006, 20:12
Nice to see gameboy still being worked on, although I really have no complaints with Rin.

Video_freak
August 15th, 2006, 20:15
Nice to see gameboy still being worked on, although I really have no complaints with Rin.
Me neither. :D
This one could be better, who knows? :)

mastersho
August 15th, 2006, 21:18
I love Rin too but Ad-hoc would be great but i want to trade pokemon so bad that i tried to make a usb to GBC link cable.....didn't work to well. but this is a nice emulator. can't wait for the next release!

Hungry Horace
August 15th, 2006, 23:30

you obviously havent tried making music with it then! :cool:

SweetFA
August 15th, 2006, 23:36
RinUO have ad-hoc and it works perfec (222 mhz)
Does Mr Do! work though?