PDA

View Full Version : How do you recover files fomr a corrupted DVD? SERIOUS HELP!

MrTeressaBond
August 15th, 2006, 02:09
How do you recover files fomr a corrupted DVD?

really, i made a DVD with alot of very important files in it long ago, but not to realise it was corrupted.

this is due maybe that the DVD recordable disc is faulty? degrading itself? or not burnt properly?

i tooka very close look at the readable surface of the disc, and it was written yes, but i looked closely to see that there is a hair fine like line gaps in various different sections of the disc.

the DVD can still be accessed as normal and alot of the files still can be acessed and seen, but will eventually crased at a certain point.

around 44% of the disc is where is stops reading, but thats wen im lucky, cause i cant even get it to be recovered using certain programs like ISOBuster, Bad Copy Pro (cant even get it to work actually).

i do not believe the data is lost, cause it as i said, it can be still seen on My Computer and by clicking on the DVD drive and viewing al its folders and files inside and deep into its roots as i burned them.

this DVD disc i made is very very important to me, i have wished that i have made a copy of it earlier but it looks like its abit too late.

i would realy appreciate it if anyone can seriosuly help me out here, or ask me any questions that can maybe lead to resolving this.

thanks very much, i am hoping their will be a solution to this very very soon, asi do not want this to go any worse.

thanks very much again to anyone who can or may help.

take care and god bless.

Video_freak
August 15th, 2006, 02:33
Try taking individual files off using Windows Explorer (or whatever OS your using)

MrTeressaBond
August 15th, 2006, 13:55
tried that, but i keep getting the CRC thingy, not allowing me to copy the file watsoever

MrTeressaBond
August 16th, 2006, 19:17
anyone??

pleaseeee?????

Uruz 6
August 16th, 2006, 19:28
Actually I have a similar problem: I've made two dvds with very important stuff but neither my computer nor any other computer can read 'em, also there are no visible scratch. Any way to recover those?

beetroot bertie
August 16th, 2006, 21:31
You could maybe try passing the DVD on to someone with a different computer ie. an Apple Mac user and see if they can get anything off it.

At the end of the day if the disc has not been written properly or has degraded, you may never be able to get the files off it.

Even though you can see the directory structure and the folders and files, it could still be that the data is damaged as I think it is possible for the file system data (directory) to be OK but not the actual files themselves, hence you can see the folders and files but not access them (see the Logical Damage section in the link below)

There's some useful info over at Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_recovery

All I can suggest to prevent future loss is to buy decent quality DVDs and burn a low speeds.

MrTeressaBond
August 18th, 2006, 05:40
thanks already checked.

it is most likely Logical Damage, and from besides the first method about checkdisk, it explains in the second method on a better way, but does not say what program (like they mentioned checkdisk) on how to do it. i hope u understood wat i just said. hehehehe.

there is a program called CDRoller, does anyone know about that? or ifthat can be helpful? and or also does it related to the second method that wikipedia has explained?

Crimson_Lotus
August 18th, 2006, 06:17
Any scratches? Try a cd doctor?

MrTeressaBond
August 18th, 2006, 16:09
no scratches watsoever.

it reads fine, but as i mentioned above, so on.

i'll try that.

everytime i will want to copy a file of the disc, it keeps giving me the CRC thing, and i dont know how to get any further than that.

Crimson_Lotus
August 19th, 2006, 05:56
Cyclic Redundancy Checks? That is odd, normally that occurs when a file on the CD becomes currupted or just plain defective. The CRC is used to generate a checksum, which in the case of CDs/DVDs is to generate "protection." They generally block certain blocks of info and such.

I haven't really found a way to fix CRC errors and have been troubled by them myself, This error usually means that the disk is defective, but it can also happen if the read/write heads of the drive that created the disk aren't aligned the same as the drive that's trying to read the disk.

Junixx
August 19th, 2006, 06:24
I had something similar like this happen to a CD of mine a while back, it could see the directories but when it acctually went into most of them my computer would crash/lock up

Sadly i found no way i could recover the things that were on it...

yaustar
August 19th, 2006, 12:37
I had this problem as well. The best I could do was make a direct clone of the DVD.

MrTeressaBond
August 19th, 2006, 14:01
thats precisely it, i feel my CD or DVD which is, is getting corrupted. thats why i get the CRC thing.

and i encounter every problem u lot mention, it would view all files, then sometimes would crash the PC or not do anything at all, or actually not copy the file as well.

also, i have tried doing a direct DVD copy of my disc, but still i will get the 'inrecoverable' sectors and will go on forever and ever while trying to copy the disc. which is such a pity.

i whish there was a way to bypass the CRC, and to still read and copy the files directly off the disc.

anyone still might have a sugestion? or from my post post on wat Wikipedia has said about data recoery, the second mehtod, what program do u need to achieve that?

yaustar
August 19th, 2006, 14:08
Try: http://www.isobuster.com/
You might have some luck with that.

MrTeressaBond
August 20th, 2006, 02:16
i have already mentioned that in the begining, it doesnt work for me at all.

:(

Dull Blade
August 20th, 2006, 02:22
My suggestion, as already mentioned is get friendly with some one who has a mac. a few weeks ago i thought i lost 10gb of music when my harddrive became corrupt, until my mac buddy stepped in.

MrTeressaBond
August 21st, 2006, 00:29
okay then, but would it work for a CD or DVD disc as well then?

also, wat makes or wat does the Mac do anyways to do such a thing to recover ur 10GB hard drive of music?

Dull Blade
August 21st, 2006, 03:31
After contacting my mac friend. he said that he used a data recovery tool called Stellar Phoenix Macintosh 1.0 aparently he said it would not work with a dvd. but there is good new, he has suggested a program that may help. I havent tried it my self, but who know it might help. it's called CDroller

www.cdroller.com/

MrTeressaBond
August 21st, 2006, 13:45
wicked.

i have mentioned that program later from earlier on. and i will certainly give it a try.