PDA

View Full Version : gps broken?

lewbacca
August 15th, 2006, 16:17
hi. today i was able to get my holux GR-231 gps off the "zollamt" like it is called in germany..

at first the battery was charged a bit so it turned on, flashing the bluetooth light.. but suddenly it turned off, so i gotta charge it.. but if i push the on off button now, it just does not do anything.. if i put it to the charger the battery LED is green. but as soon as i press the on off button it gets darker..

does anyone know if its broken? or is it normal?

deniska
August 15th, 2006, 20:56
try to take out the battery, see if it helps..
Mine got like that a few times too...
Still working though...

People do say that there are lots of defective units outthere...

seesoe
August 15th, 2006, 21:19
mine is fine never did that, *yet lol*

well it sounds like the battery either mess with it or look for some replacement battery

lewbacca
August 16th, 2006, 13:07
ok. i contacted the support now.. i have tried to charge the battery over night, so the 8 hours i should charge it, are reached..

when i take out the battery and reinstall it, the problem is not solved.. i think theres something that got corrupted when i attached the charging cable for the first time. perhaps there was a small overvoltage when plugging it in..

:/ the point that makes me sick is, that i will have to send it back to the us... living in germany and ordering in the usa is not that good hehe

fokia
August 16th, 2006, 14:28
ok. i contacted the support now.. i have tried to charge the battery over night, so the 8 hours i should charge it, are reached..

when i take out the battery and reinstall it, the problem is not solved.. i think theres something that got corrupted when i attached the charging cable for the first time. perhaps there was a small overvoltage when plugging it in..

:/ the point that makes me sick is, that i will have to send it back to the us... living in germany and ordering in the usa is not that good hehe

well I've made my mind... I was thinking of buing one of those /GPSlim236/ over ebay or something - could save 20 to 40€ - now I think its best not to and play safe since there are some kinky units...

lewbacca
August 16th, 2006, 17:56
ok i filled the return form.. will bring it to our post office tomorrow.. i think a new device should arrive in 4 weeks :(

seesoe
August 16th, 2006, 21:41
what if you had tried a firmware update for the hell of it?

lewbacca
August 17th, 2006, 12:07
i didnt find some updates.. and the pc didnt recognize the hardware. so no chance..
i still have it lying around here... but i dont have a clue whatta do... ill go to the post office later..

deniska
August 17th, 2006, 14:18
From what I understand,
You need to buy a special cable for PC communication and FW upfrades...
Not sure you you can upgrade via BT...
Also I could not find any upgrades on the web ...

seesoe
August 17th, 2006, 21:02
thats odd

lewbacca
September 11th, 2006, 14:12
its back and works fine with a 1k resistor :)

now i think i will start looking into the code and try to make some addons :)

A Fn NOOB
September 12th, 2006, 01:53
But for the record, most gps recievers can be configured via PC serial port. Sirf chipsets use "Sirfdemo", software that can change things like baud, or switch the output from nmea sentences to sirf sentences, among other things.

If it aint broke, though dont fix it :)

The psp theoretically could be used to send data to the gps for such purposes, but Id reccomend not even connecting the gps RX to PSP's Tx... uncharted waters doing that......

deniska
September 12th, 2006, 04:11
Sending stuff from PSP to GPS would probably require a level converter since PSP's TX level is not high enough for most of gps devices outthere...
Although it's not rocket science, soldering in a microchip is more complicated than just connecting 2 wires thru a resistor and it will probably scare away most of the PSP users outhtere...

fokia
September 12th, 2006, 10:14
Sending stuff from PSP to GPS would probably require a level converter since PSP's TX level is not high enough for most of gps devices outthere...
Although it's not rocket science, soldering in a microchip is more complicated than just connecting 2 wires thru a resistor and it will probably scare away most of the PSP users outhtere...

If that would lead to a better functionality, somehow, I was willing to give it a try... If you ever consider that option I can help test it...