PDA

View Full Version : Sega dusting off 'vintage brand' for PSP

wraggster
August 15th, 2006, 21:24
News via Gamespot (http://us.gamespot.com/news/6155787.html)

Sega has one of the most recognizable names in the industry and a library of famous franchises that include Sonic the Hedgehog, Streets of Rage, After Burner, Altered Beast, Phantasy Star, Shinobi, Golden Axe, and dozens more. A number of those games will be included in the recently announced Sega Genesis Collection later this year, but the venerable publisher isn't stopping at merely reproducing some of its classics; it's looking to revitalize them as well.

Sega today announced that it has enlisted San Francisco-based developer Planet Moon to bring one of its "vintage brands" back to life in a new game for the PlayStation Portable. It will be the developer's first time working with an established intellectual property. It has previously produced Infected for the PSP, Giants: Citizen Kabuto for the PC, and Armed & Dangerous for the Xbox and PC.

Planet Moon isn't the only developer bringing an old Sega franchise to the PSP. Totally Games, developer of the X-Wing and Tie Fighter series of PC space combat flight sims, is currently working on an action game based on one of the publisher's IPs. While the developer has a lengthy track record with flight sims, it is promising "something new" for its fans. Also, at this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo, Sega announced that it was enlisting its recently acquired studio Secret Level to handle the upcoming Golden Axe revamp on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

mastersho
August 15th, 2006, 21:40
Yes! SONIC ON PSP WITHOUT emulators! the greatest news every spoken of.

gamesquest1
August 15th, 2006, 21:44
hah even if sony refuse to see what people want guess the games companies realised people enjoy simple 2d games for the psp......shame is that they see what people want then see how to make a profit off it i.e all these bloody classics games being released....i reckon i would be nice if sega released just a emulator that runs the roms off the mem card...i reckon that would sell amazing for people with no knowlage of the homebrew world also they could even if they insist on getting profits make a itunes style service selling the games for a small fee such as about a pound or somthing. the games could even bee provided in a special format to stop people just using roms....imagin the profit margin they could make off that .......wonder if they would ever use a idea like that:P would be amazing

mastersho
August 15th, 2006, 21:55
hah even if sony refuse to see what people want guess the games companies realised people enjoy simple 2d games for the psp......shame is that they see what people want then see how to make a profit off it i.e all these bloody classics games being released....i reckon i would be nice if sega released just a emulator that runs the roms off the mem card...i reckon that would sell amazing for people with no knowlage of the homebrew world also they could even if they insist on getting profits make a itunes style service selling the games for a small fee such as about a pound or somthing. the games could even bee provided in a special format to stop people just using roms....imagin the profit margin they could make off that .......wonder if they would ever use a idea like that:P would be amazing

Nintendo is doing it and i know it will make millions .

Video_freak
August 15th, 2006, 21:56
Yes! SONIC ON PSP WITHOUT emulators! the greatest news every spoken of.
What's the point when you can use emulators. ;)

yaustar
August 15th, 2006, 21:58
What's the point when you can use emulators. ;)
To support the company and the developers.

Video_freak
August 15th, 2006, 21:58
To support the company and the developers.
Good point. I usually own the games I emulate though. :)

mastersho
August 15th, 2006, 22:01
Also they companies offten add new feature to older games like Nintendo is adding the Dash Spin feature(which appared in the second Sonic game) into their re-release on the first Sonic game.

Video_freak
August 15th, 2006, 22:02
Also they companies offten add new feature to older games like Nintendo is adding the Dash Spin feature(which appared in the second Sonic game) into their re-release on the first Sonic game.
And they also pretty the games up. :D
Nice avatar. ;)

mastersho
August 15th, 2006, 22:04
yep! updated graphic are nice but sometimes they crap up games with new content or by removing content. I can think of alot of remakes that sux.

gamesquest1
August 15th, 2006, 22:31
yeah but they cant justify making it look abit better to charge such a high price look at what nintendo did they released zelda oot and master quest which they must have taken quite a bit of effort to translate just as a little bonus extra....thats what i call customer appreciation and addmitting it isnt ever as hard to just re-release the game than to make a hole new one and not ask money for it....that how i think other companys should think....instead off well its our game so lets charge what we like, not only that but most people who buy these owned the games originally wouldnt it be nicer to sort of make it a bonus.....i seem to renember prince of persia included the old price of persia ...thats how it chould be not ....here buy these old games because we have run out of ideas

Wally
August 15th, 2006, 23:56
They better release Alex Kidd again for PSP that would rock!

irondirgible
August 16th, 2006, 00:04
Super Mario All-Stars was quite good, both because of the updated graphics, which were beautiful, and the added content (The real SMB2, The Lost Levels!) What I like in remakes is the inclusion of JAP-only games that I either wanted to play but couldn't because of the language barrier, or I did not know about at all.

Sonic remakes don't really enthuse me because of the fact that the next "step up" from 16-bit is usually 3d graphics, something I don't think SEGA would bother with. Games updated from 8-bit graphics to 16-bit (the aforementioned SMAS) or from either of those string lengths to 3D (the upcoming Final Fantasy 3 for the DS) actually look better than the original. This remake collection will likely be the same thing Sonic Mega Collection was (albeit with more games): the exact same games we all played in our basements 14 years ago with better sound and extra unlockables (the ball minigame from Sonic 3!? ALL RIGHT) that nobody cares about.

DGEN all the way

mr_nick666
August 16th, 2006, 10:19
Done right (i.e: not straying too far from the originals we know and love - just giving them a little polish! :rolleyes: ) this should be a great thing! :D