PDA

View Full Version : Australian Crackdown On Console Modchips Likely To Continue

wraggster
September 2nd, 2010, 22:12
Late last week an Australian court issued an injunction against a handful of retailers selling or importing hardware — commonly known as 'mod chips' — that allows unauthorized software to run on Sony's PlayStation 3. The court also required that the four parties that were the subject of the injunction actually hand over to Sony any PlayStation modchips they have. Sony's PlayStation 3 mod chip lawsuit could be just the first of many such cases in Australia, according to a lawyer who defended a client against Nintendo in a similar case earlier this year.

http://games.slashdot.org/story/10/09/02/0436232/Australian-Crackdown-On-Console-Modchips-Likely-To-Continue

symbal
September 2nd, 2010, 22:36
I wouldn't be at all suprised with these ridiculous Australian laws if they successfully manage to ban the AT90USB and Teensy usb boards because they can be used to mod a Ps3.

lmtlmt
September 3rd, 2010, 12:59
mod chips have been legal in australia for years, i dont see this going anywhere

jamotto
September 3rd, 2010, 14:43
mod chips have been legal in australia for years, i dont see this going anywhere

Apparently it is though, Australian Courts have ruled that PS Jailbreak is Illegal.

Nocuddle
September 4th, 2010, 01:41
wat abt AT90USBKEY boards? these arent illegal, as u can actually bought it from Farnell/RS Component, for programming purposes.

lmtlmt
September 4th, 2010, 04:11
Apparently it is though, Australian Courts have ruled that PS Jailbreak is Illegal.

yes i just saw that post, however all other modchips are still legal, this is really weird, i see sony throwing some money around..