PDA

View Full Version : Snezziboy v0.26 - Snes Emulator for the Gameboy Advance

wraggster
August 16th, 2006, 17:11
Snezziboy (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=166961) the SNES Emulator for the Gameboy Advance (nintendo ds too) has been updated, heres whats new:

Fixes and Features:

Fixed a small bug in the debug version, as the horizontal cycles was not showing up correctly.

Fixed transparency so that it is disabled if the register $2130 disables all color math. (Fixes the screw up in Aladdin)

Fix code skip for WAI/STP/WDM instructions so that if the player does not enable HDMA through the Snezziboy configuration, then the code skip selects the fastest skipping mode.

Fixed a critical bug in the mechanism that supports the intra-frame update of background scroll position. The bug, which crashes the emulator at worst, or screws up some layers at best, only occurs after about 65535 SNES frames have been completely rendered, or roughly 18 minutes into gameplay, assuming the game runs at full 60 fps without slowdown.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

JKKDARK
August 16th, 2006, 20:34
great release :)

digitalhijinx
August 16th, 2006, 23:19
Right on right on, updates are always a plus!

gronne
August 17th, 2006, 11:56
I can't get access to a device to transfer anything to my sd-card for a month, so I can't try this emu:mad: And I haven't tried the earlier versions either, so can anyone say how well it runs? compatibility and speed? Because if this is running well enough, then it should be more than possible to have a ~99% working snes-emu directly done for the DS, right? I'm eager to find out as this would be my primary use for a DS in the future...

TheKingRZ
November 15th, 2006, 23:11
o.k
good job.

Jannyripper
May 22nd, 2008, 23:36
I got some games to work but they run really SLOW! does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? in the read me says something about patching the DAT file in text format,how do you do that? Oh and when I get the SMC.gba file it says in the command box "No patch found. The game may run slowly or not run at all" I need help I want to play SNES on my micro ^^

DanTheManMS
May 24th, 2008, 04:51
Rename snezzi.dat to "temp.dat" for now. Then download the latest snesadvance.dat file from http://www.pocketheaven.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=3366 and rename it to snezzi.dat. Open both files in Notepad and turn Word Wrap off. Look at the games in the "temp.dat" file and see if there are any you wish to play. If so, copy their entries from temp.dat into snezzi.dat, overwriting any previous entries that may already be in there.

This is done because nearly all games will work with the snesadvance.dat patches, but some games requires Snezziboy-specific patches which are in the default snezzi.dat you download. By combining the two into an uber snezzi.dat file you can have the best of both worlds.

Also let me know if a game doesn't have an entry at all in either DAT file and I'll try to speedhack it for you.

Jannyripper
May 28th, 2008, 02:01
Rename snezzi.dat to "temp.dat" for now. Then download the latest snesadvance.dat file from http://www.pocketheaven.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=3366 and rename it to snezzi.dat. Open both files in Notepad and turn Word Wrap off. Look at the games in the "temp.dat" file and see if there are any you wish to play. If so, copy their entries from temp.dat into snezzi.dat, overwriting any previous entries that may already be in there.

This is done because nearly all games will work with the snesadvance.dat patches, but some games requires Snezziboy-specific patches which are in the default snezzi.dat you download. By combining the two into an uber snezzi.dat file you can have the best of both worlds.

Also let me know if a game doesn't have an entry at all in either DAT file and I'll try to speedhack it for you.

Ok I did what you told me but now what do I do with the "temp.dat" and it still says that the rom wasn't patched and that it might work unproperly.is therer a place i can get step by step instructions? I'm really confussed :confused:,why can't it be as easy as DS emulators :(. Oh BTW I'm using an EZflash 3in1 GBA size.

DanTheManMS
May 29th, 2008, 04:38
You can get rid of the temp.dat file, no need for it anymore. Really it should be as simple as renaming snesadvance.dat to snezzi.dat but there are those few games that have Snezziboy-specific patches, which is why I put you through the hard way of doing things.

If it still says there are no patches, then the game doesn't have an entry in your uber snezzi.dat file. Tell me the name of the game and the CRC and I'll take a look at it for you. The CRC is an 8-digit sequence that is shown when you run the game through snezzi.exe.

Jannyripper
June 3rd, 2008, 02:06
You can get rid of the temp.dat file, no need for it anymore. Really it should be as simple as renaming snesadvance.dat to snezzi.dat but there are those few games that have Snezziboy-specific patches, which is why I put you through the hard way of doing things.

If it still says there are no patches, then the game doesn't have an entry in your uber snezzi.dat file. Tell me the name of the game and the CRC and I'll take a look at it for you. The CRC is an 8-digit sequence that is shown when you run the game through snezzi.exe.

Well since all the games I want to play are on snesadvance I just used that one (renamed it like you said to snezzi.dat)
I used Act Raiser,Killer Instinct and Mortal Kombat. just to see if it would work and it still tells me that the patch wasn't found and it runs REALLY SLOW!!
what am i doing wrong? could you PM me with the instructions on how to make it work.
Sorry I'm a noob when it comes to GBA HB. :'{

DanTheManMS
June 3rd, 2008, 06:41
If it says there was no patch found then it means either the CRC does not match or the snezzi.dat file was not found.

I just thought of something. Perhaps you're renaming it to "snezzi.dat.dat" by mistake. In Windows Explorer, go to Tools - Folder Options - View tab - uncheck "hide extensions for known file types" and hit Okay. This will force Windows to show the file extension no matter what. Make sure it's just "snezzi.dat"

Otherwise, the specific version you're using doesn't have an entry in the snezzi.dat file. When you drag and drop your game onto snezzi.exe, what does it say the CRC is?

Jannyripper
June 4th, 2008, 01:21
If it says there was no patch found then it means either the CRC does not match or the snezzi.dat file was not found.

I just thought of something. Perhaps you're renaming it to "snezzi.dat.dat" by mistake. In Windows Explorer, go to Tools - Folder Options - View tab - uncheck "hide extensions for known file types" and hit Okay. This will force Windows to show the file extension no matter what. Make sure it's just "snezzi.dat"

Otherwise, the specific version you're using doesn't have an entry in the snezzi.dat file. When you drag and drop your game onto snezzi.exe, what does it say the CRC is?
No I only named it snezzi and figured since it was a dat file the .dat would be added automatically which it did. well here's a screenshot of the windows
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa300/Jripper_01/screenshot.jpg

The folder on the bottom is just as i got it when I downloaded it I just added the rom.
Also what am i supposed to do with the snezzid?

DanTheManMS
June 5th, 2008, 04:59
Alright, so the CRC of your rom is F1E49FB4 while the snezzi.dat file only has entries for ones with a CRC of 252C1DA7 and 90E9A04E. You've got two options:
1. Find a copy of the game that has one of the two CRC values in the snezzi.dat file
OR
2. Just change one of those two entries in snezzi.dat so the first 8 digits are F1E49FB4 instead. More than likely the speedhacks will still work in whatever version you've got.

snezzid.exe and snezzid.gba are for debugging purposes only. Don't worry about them if you aren't going to be using the Snezziboy debugger to find your own speedhacks.

Jannyripper
June 17th, 2008, 21:03
Alright, so the CRC of your rom is F1E49FB4 while the snezzi.dat file only has entries for ones with a CRC of 252C1DA7 and 90E9A04E. You've got two options:
1. Find a copy of the game that has one of the two CRC values in the snezzi.dat file
OR
2. Just change one of those two entries in snezzi.dat so the first 8 digits are F1E49FB4 instead. More than likely the speedhacks will still work in whatever version you've got.

snezzid.exe and snezzid.gba are for debugging purposes only. Don't worry about them if you aren't going to be using the Snezziboy debugger to find your own speedhacks.
oh man. I think I'm just going to give up on this and stick with SNEMULDS. hey could you check if Killer Instinct works good on snezzi and let me know PLEASE! it kindda works on DS but it has some lines going through the whole screen. BTW I watched all your vids on YT to see if I could find any help with Snezzi but didn't find NE :'(

mcdougall57
June 18th, 2008, 00:14
so how well does this project emulate now, I'm dying to whack out my gameboy micro last time I tried batman ran at about 25%

DanTheManMS
June 18th, 2008, 01:06
Jannyripper, it's REALLY not that hard. Open snezzi.dat. Find the two entries for Killer instinct. Choose one of them, it doesn't matter. Highlight the first 8 characters and replace them with F1E49FB4. Save, exit, re-convert the rom.

If there are graphical issues, then you need to mess with the graphics settings. You should first enter the menu with L+R+Start so you can set your controls, and you can mess with the graphics there if you want. The easier way is to press L+R+Select+Up a few times in-game which cycles through 4 background combinations that are known to work well for most games. Hopefully one of them will work for you.

I just checked and the game is playable with the backgrounds all set to "disabled" but you can't see the HUD which shows the amount of health you have left, and there's no way to make it visible. Sorry I can't help you more with this game.

mcdougall57, it depends entirely on the game. Many games are fully playable as long as you apply the right speedhacks. Many games have graphics glitches, while some are downright unplayable. Which Batman game are you referring to?

mcdougall57
June 18th, 2008, 12:46
That would be batman returns, does super metroid work at a decent speed and save? if so i want it or a link to some speedhacks to get it there please

Carlotta_Monroe
June 19th, 2008, 12:11
I can't seem to any roms working with snezziboy at all.

I've tried about a dozen, and the only one I got working was Mario Allstars+Mario World, and it ran very slow, unplayable. Everything else I just got a blackscreen.

DanTheManMS
June 19th, 2008, 12:55
mcdougall57, Super Metroid runs but not at a good speed. I was unable to speedhack it to make it run faster than about 50% normal speed.

Carlotta, follow my previous instructions regarding the snesadvance.dat and snezzi.dat files so your games get speedhacks applied.

Carlotta_Monroe
June 19th, 2008, 15:23
I will try that Dan, thanks.

Just a quick Q. When I replace something in the .dat, do I replace the whole line for that game, or just the first 8 characters like you said above? For example:

FBF3C0FF|3x3 Eyes - Seima Korin Den (J)|4|40044804|0|0|0|0|214=42D8

So I would just replace 'FBF3C0FF' with whatever that part is in the other .dat, or the whole string for that game?

Carlotta_Monroe
June 19th, 2008, 17:39
I quickly tried it with Super Metroid.

I took the first 8 digits from the old .dat and put them in the new one from the link you posted (most were the same).

I have an EZ Flash IV, and the first time, I put it on, I used the file name 'Super Metroid (JU) [!].smc.gba - same black screen.

The second time, I kept the file name to 8 characters+3 for extension - SUPERM~2.GBA - At first I got the same black screen, but I went into the menu (L+R+START+SELECT) and turned ON HDMA - I don't know what that is, but it worked, the game ran fine (no sound).

The next time I tried it (with HDMA already on) - again a black screen. Went into the menu, reset the game, rom worked perfectly, still no sound as before.

So it seems that going into the menu (and resetting the game?) helped it somehow?

DanTheManMS
June 20th, 2008, 02:51
Just open your snezzi.dat file and replace any Super Metroid entries with the following:

D63ED5F8|Super Metroid (U)|346=42DB,16529=421B,2D1=423B,1606E=423B
AD2CBF9C|Super Metroid (E)|346=42DB,16529=421B,2D1=423B,1606E=423B

The speedhacks for each game are tied down to the individual file specified by the 8-character CRC at the beginning. So don't replace the CRC of Bomberman with the CRC of Super Metroid, for instance. All you need to do is download the latest snesadvance.dat file, rename it to snezzi.dat, then open the original snezzi.dat file that came with the download and add those hacks to the newly-renamed snezzi.dat file, replacing the old ones. Replace the entire line, not just the CRC.

I've found that sometimes going into the menu and resetting from there does help, though I mostly only experience that with SnezziDS. If you can run the game with HDMA off, do so, as HDMA takes up a considerable amount of CPU power to emulate.

No sound is normal, as Snezziboy doesn't have sound support. The GBA isn't powerful enough.