PDA

View Full Version : Open Source Linux Phone for Developers

JesusXP
August 16th, 2006, 17:32
I wasn't gonna post this until I saw the other posts of cell phones. This one has gone unnoticed however and its probably the most important one to any regular DCEmu.CO.UK visitor!

http://www.linuxdevices.com/files/misc/qtopia_greenphone-thm.jpg

The "GreenPhone" from TrollTech features a user-modifiable Linux OS, and is meant to jumpstart a third-party native application ecosystem for Linux-based mobile phones. Trolltech is positioning the Greenphone as the "first open Linux mobile device for application developers." It hopes the product will enable a variety of corporate and community developers to "create, modify, and test Linux-based mobile phone applications on a working GSM/GPRS device."

Features:
- GSM/GPRS mobile phone endowed with a bootloader amenable to letting users re-flash the phone with modified Linux-based firmware, via a mini-USB port.
- development kit will include documentation and tools for developers targeting QPE-based Linux mobile phones. The kit will also apparently include source code for key QPE applications, such as the address book and dialer.
- The phone has a fairly thin and small "candybar" form factor, and measures 4.2 x 1.9 x 0.6 inches (106.5 x 49.0 x 15.6mm). It is based on a dual-core Marvell (formerly Intel) XScale processor clocked at 312MHz. It has 64MB of RAM, and 128MB of flash, expandable through a mini-SD card slot.
- The Greenphone has a QVGA (320 x 240) LCD touchscreen display, in addition to hardware buttons to support keypad-driven user interfaces. Trolltech's QPE has supported both touchscreens (popular in technology-driven Asia) and keypad interfaces (popular in convenience-driven markets such as Europe and the U.S.)
- The device also includes WiFi, and comes with SIP middleware supporting VoIP calls.
- 1.3-megapixel camera, Bluetooth radio, and the all-important mini-USB port, over which the firmware can be updated. The Greenphone's baseband processor/modem is a Broadcom BCM2121.

Yeah... I know you want one too!

Click for Original Article (http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8030785497.html) and better picture..

Video_freak
August 16th, 2006, 17:34
That phone is so cool! :eek:
Thanks JesusXP for posting.

JesusXP
August 16th, 2006, 17:35
My pleasure ;) It seriously looks like we may have to add greenphone.dcemu.co.uk soon :P

oh.. and might I add.. goodbye blackberry! (yaeh.. I know, too soon -- but time will tell)

Video_freak
August 16th, 2006, 17:35
My pleasure ;) It seriously looks like we may have to add greenphone.dcemu.co.uk soon :P
lmoa. maybe, who knows?

JesusXP
August 16th, 2006, 17:41
this phone is neet!

Junixx
August 24th, 2006, 02:49
Wow I'd sure like to have that ;)

FunkyDude
August 28th, 2006, 15:57
wha .. it looks great , but my country is abit outdated :( , i have to wait ! :(

NoQuarter
August 28th, 2006, 16:11
Wow,friggin sweet fone.Thank you Jesus xp