PDA

View Full Version : Cant wait for the PS3 Homebrew to Start

wraggster
September 5th, 2010, 18:46
The Hacking of the PS3 for the Homebrew scene is a massive move in the right direction, the possabilities of emulators such as full speed Dreamcast, N64, PS1 and maybe even PS2 and could you say Wii and Xbox ?

Personally i cant wait to see whats going to happen and luckily i have an old 20Gig PS3 with the PS2 Internals still inside, i have been waiting for the day when i can play any region PS1 and PS2 on my PS3 along with region free blu ray films

What are other people wanting to see on the PS3 ?

symbal
September 5th, 2010, 19:30
F*ck Yeah! The main thing i want to see is homebrew starting up where Xbox 1 left off, so that's N64 upwards, obviously it'll take some time to get there but i just don't want it like the 360 homebrew where 90% of it is just utilities to aid piracy and the rest is just rarely updated emulators. I'm really looking forward to the potential of Ps3>Psp connectivity and what could be done by connecting bluetooth devices up to it.

vitorgatti
September 5th, 2010, 20:34
I just want some stuff Sony will NEVER give to your customers:

- OtherOS back
- MKV support
- PS3 Software Emulation
- PS1/PS2 Region Free
- a decent web browser

All those features can be enabled very easily and most people won't risk their console in hacking to use homebrew, as it wouldn't be necessary (only if you want to play emulators).

Sony have to admit that removing OtherOS did NOTHING to stop people from hacking their console.

Worst move from Sony (IMO).

BlueCrab
September 5th, 2010, 21:40
I just want some stuff Sony will NEVER give to your customers:

- OtherOS back
- MKV support
- PS3 Software Emulation
- PS1/PS2 Region Free
- a decent web browser

All those features can be enabled very easily and most people won't risk their console in hacking to use homebrew, as it wouldn't be necessary (only if you want to play emulators).

Sony have to admit that removing OtherOS did NOTHING to stop people from hacking their console.

Worst move from Sony (IMO).I wouldn't say that they could all be added VERY easily, but they're all certainly possible.

OtherOS support back is really what I'm worried about, although PS2 emulation would be nice as well (but a whole lot more difficult).

Just to think, if they hadn't gotten rid of OtherOS, none of this probably would have happened. Silly Sony.

soapdishbandit
September 5th, 2010, 21:52
I am excited by all the developments in the PS3 homebrew scene this week. I was starting to really believe we would never see the PS3 hacked. I am more looking forward to seeing homebrew and emulators running under a powerful hood, and honestly not interested in any of the piracy aspects.

Some features I'd like to see:

-Superior emulation of older consoles, up to, and including PS2, Gamecube, including the ability to use HQ filters and upscaling of video/sound

-SACD playback re-introduced on newer models (I know they got rid of the required hardware, but, maybe it could be done in software???) Fortunatly, I have the original 60GB version with it built-in hardware, but Sony lost a potential customer base by removing it (SACDs sound 1,000x better than CDs and 1,000,000x better than MP3s)

-SACD transcoding to DTS 5.1 DTS 96/24 (an earlier firmware would take the lossless 5.1 DSD and transcode it to DTS 5.1 48/16, THEN, they got rid of it?!?! Maybe a homebrew app could transcode SACD DSD audio to either DTS 96-24 [via toslink], or at the minimum give us back DTS 5.1 48/16, so people with only an optical connection could enjoy "almost" lossless audio

-DVD-Audio 96/24 "MLP 5.1" playback

-universal compatability when used as a media server

-MAME, or something similiar

-use of GPU and all SPU's for all homebrew

The possabilities are endless! Hopefully, as Symbal said, this won't be made to ONLY do piracy...I only own 4-5 games and I am not really into modern gaming as much as I am retro-gaming (my Wii is SUPER-hacked :))

Eviltaco64
September 5th, 2010, 22:49
I'd personally like to see Saturn, Dreamcast, Gamecube, PS2, and N64 fully emulated.

I'd also use Linux if it's restraints are somehow lifted.

An XBMC-esque media center would also be awesome.

wisinx
September 6th, 2010, 03:10
hehehe, Im looking forward to CHEATS!!!! lol not really and I hope they dont released or make them... but they will, and with time they will be out. :(

lmtlmt
September 6th, 2010, 11:52
hehehe, Im looking forward to CHEATS!!!! lol not really and I hope they dont released or make them... but they will, and with time they will be out. :(

wtff?

opiate81
September 6th, 2010, 13:34
Everything you have all mentioned already. A dualboot option for Linux would be great! (Hold R1 to boot Linux).

The only problem is that I dont think this hack goes deep enough to modify FW, re-enable Linux etc.
Linux could probably be run as an app though.

Legal SDK too please! Thats what sucked about XBOX1 and 360... "obtain from usual places"

radiator
September 6th, 2010, 15:21
I'm just hoping that it all moves in the right direction with minimal fuss. Ie, custom firmware, masking mode (so Sony can't detect and ban you).

In terms of other stuff, I'm wanting emulators (Wii would be awesome, especially with the PS Move about to be released), XBMC, MKV support, NTFS/EXT2 filesystem support etc etc.

soapdishbandit
September 6th, 2010, 16:41
I'd personally like to see Saturn, Dreamcast, Gamecube, PS2, and N64 fully emulated.

I'd also use Linux if it's restraints are somehow lifted.

An XBMC-esque media center would also be awesome.

Agreed! Saturn is pseudo-emulated on Wii (albeit it's maybe 50% speed), so, there is no reason that the PS3 couldn't run it at full speed! My PC (AMD 4800 X2 @ 2.6Ghz, Nvidia 8800GTX 768MB, etc...) can run it perfectly, with all enhancements on, the PS3 (@ 3.2Ghz, 8 cores [SPUs], Nvidia GPU (better than 2 7900 GT's in SLI) should be able to handle it no problem! :)

mike_jmg
September 8th, 2010, 05:33
Hoping for some emus, specially N64, CPS2 and Neogeo

Ps2 emu should be a piece of cake, at least on the models that run it on hardware, luckily mine is the 60GB model