PDA

View Full Version : Sony releases 3.42 firmware update for PS3

bandit
September 7th, 2010, 16:07
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa112/dcemureviews/ps3firmware.jpg

With the release...I mean announcement of PS Jailbreak and clones and the recent release of the open source PSGroove and ports (i.e. PSFreedom), this was bound to happen. You didnt think Sony would just let run wild on its console right? PS Jailbreak, Jailbreak clones, PSGroove and ports all run on 3.41. However, installing 3.42 will make all USB exploits non-functional as it patches the hole that these Jailbreaks use. So if homebrew is important to you, DO NOT update the firmware. Within a few weeks or even days, there will probably be new exploits. Let the cat and mouse games begin!

PlayStation Blog:

Hi everyone! A minor update to your PS3 system is now available via system software update v3.42 that includes additional security features. For more details and instructions on how to update the system software for the PS3 system, please visit the PS3 System Updates page.

PlayStation Blog Europe:

An update to the PS3 system software was released on 7 September 2010. If you update your PS3 system, the system software version will be 3.42 and the following features will be updated. In order to download PS3 system software version 3.42, you will need a minimum 168MB of free space on either the PS3 Hard Disk Drive (System Update) or on removable storage media (PC Update).

Main features in system software update version 3.42

* A patch has been added to address security vulnerability in the system software.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa112/dcemureviews/logan5.png

It seems the update is mandatory. However, you can bypass it. All you got to do is go into your Network settings, and set the DNS nameservers, to custom/manual and change both of them to: 67.202.81.137

File is attached below. How long this method will work is anyone's guess.

mauro2029
September 8th, 2010, 17:43
I'm in South America... the update does not seem to be mandatory as of yet....

Edit: Nevermind, I just checked IT IS required